ESPN - Many well known hockey helmets unsafe

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Whatever happened to those helmets specifically design to reduce head impact that were backed by Mark Messier?

That's what my son wears. I am curious now

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe I saw stories that several programs that had been using the Messier helmets actually stopped because the incidence of concussions went up significantly? Now, if this is true, I have to wonder how much was a problem with the helmet and how much could have been due to overconfidence by the players because they were using "concussion-proof" helmets?

So much of this seems to be dependent on the individual player? My son seems to be very Gumby-like and gets up from hard hits/collisions and is fine, while I have seen other kids suffer concussions from far more innocent hits.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Your original statement was of the blanket variety and was wrong to a point. Wouldn't it just be easier to admit that and move on?

Just defending myself when I was told I'm wrong. The very article that was linked to tell me I'm wrong states that they don't prevent them.

Most kids playing sports aren't getting these custom mouth guards.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Just defending myself when I was told I'm wrong. The very article that was linked to tell me I'm wrong states that they don't prevent them.

Prevention vs. reduction? Are you really hanging your blanket statement on that? That's like saying air bags don't prevent deaths in car crashes, because some people still die even with airbags. Tell you what, for the 50% of the study that didn't get a concussion because of their custom mouth guard, concussions were most certainly "prevented". :shakehead

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Prevention vs. reduction? Are you really hanging your blanket statement on that? That's like saying air bags don't prevent deaths in car crashes, because some people still die even with airbags. Tell you what, for the 50% of the study that didn't get a concussion because of their custom mouth guard, concussions were most certainly "prevented". :shakehead

Well, since my statement was 'mouth guards don't prevent concussions' yes.

Too many people think just having a mouth guard means they can't get a concussion, that is false.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Cascade was bought out by Bauer.

ESPN is what it is BUT they have allowed 'Outside The Lines' to investigate sensitive matters.

I am older than most of you but I got a nasty scar in my face from playing a high school game at the Rhode Island Auditorium which never installed glass, it was chicken wire until the end.

My grandfather used to attend Rhode Island Reds games there, he said the only protection for the crowd was chicken wire. I was never sure if he was pulling my leg or not I found it so hard to believe. Thanks for the confirmation!

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Well, since my statement was 'mouth guards don't prevent concussions' yes.

Too many people think just having a mouth guard means they can't get a concussion, that is false.

Do air bags prevent deaths in car crashes?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Sure they do. I never said mouth guards don't reduce the chance, but they don't prevent them - and that was the statement I made.

So if airbags "prevent" deaths in car crashes by reducing the chance, even though some people still die with air bags, how can you say mouth guards don't "prevent" concussions by reducing the chance, even though some people still get concussions while wearing a mouth guard?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Things aren't going well for The Rick on this thread. He's probably an anti-vacciner too.

I'm not anti mouth guard, my son uses one at the squirt level - even thought it's not required.

Just pointing out they don't prevent concussions some how means I'm against them.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'm not anti mouth guard, my son uses one at the squirt level - even thought it's not required.

Just pointing out they don't prevent concussions some how means I'm against them.

How the hell can you say they don't prevent concussions when the study proves that concussions are reduced when you wear certain mouth guards? Lights at a crosswalk don't "prevent" all pedestrians getting hit, but only an idiot would suggest because not all pedestrians are saved, lights at a crosswalk do not "prevent" pedestrians getting hit.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

The very article that was linked to actually said mouth guards "cannot completely prevent them (concussions) from occurring". Some prevention is still prevention, and since you didn't clarify your statement like the article did, your statement was incorrect. Give it up, man.

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Well mine is a 1 star helmet...not surprised at all...

Luckily I only got my bell rung really badly once when I was younger..dont think the helmet would of stopped much on that hit tho.

Funny the 300$ helmet fairs just as well as the 80$ helmet tho..

I hope the companies use this information and do more studies to enhance the helmets in the future...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

It's not required?

My son is a Pee Wee now, but he has had to wear them since Mites. Neck guards are optional, but he wears one of those as well. I have bought him very expensive soft mouth guards, but he chess through them in a couple of weeks :laugh: When he gets his braces, I'm having the orthodontist do custom mouth guards for both hockey and lacrosse.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
It's not required?

My son is a Pee Wee now, but he has had to wear them since Mites. Neck guards are optional, but he wears one of those as well. I have bought him very expensive soft mouth guards, but he chess through them in a couple of weeks :laugh: When he gets his braces, I'm having the orthodontist do custom mouth guards for both hockey and lacrosse.

Neck Guards are optional? :amazed:

Neck Guards and Mouth Guards are both mandatory for us.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Not very surprising, helmets are designed primarily to prevent skull fractures and catastrophic injury. They would have to fundamentally change to meet their goals, and less traditional looking helmets don't do very well on the market.

The price differences are about comfort, weight, and style. Would you really want entry level helmets to be less safe?

nycpunk1

Jan 9, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Now that I know "prevent" means "prevent completely and without fail every time, no matter what," I kind of resent that old Smokey the Bear "Only you can prevent forest fires" ad. That's a lot of responsibility to put on a 6 year old, Smokes.

Seriously, though, I think it's important to note that this is not ESPN's study. The study is being published in a peer-reviewed biomechanics journal put out by Springer, which is a major scientific publishing house. Published as Open Access, which means free for the world forever. Available here: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10439-015-1278-7

Over my head, but I think the interesting thing will be how they account for the rotational element. That could be really big news if helmet designers can get some meaningful metrics that lead to better designs. Time (and many follow up studies) will tell what, if anything, helmets can do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad