ESPN - Many well known hockey helmets unsafe

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Most childhood concussions come from playing soccer, yet nobody wears a helmet in that sport. Given today's day and age, I'm kind of surprised that there's not even a discussion of protective headgear of any kind for that sport.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My grandfather used to attend Rhode Island Reds games there, he said the only protection for the crowd was chicken wire. I was never sure if he was pulling my leg or not I found it so hard to believe. Thanks for the confirmation!

http://www.rireds.org/2010Website/History_epilogue.htm

Two drastic changes in the early 1970s seem to have led to the team's demise: Because of expansion in the NHL and creation of the WHA, the switch from a skilled veterans league to a less-talented, youthful development circuit, and the move from the old smoke-filled, leaky-roofed, chicken-wired Auditorium of 5,500 seats to the new, pristine 11,000 seat Civic Center.

RI Auditorium was stuck in the 1930's - it was a classic hockey barn.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
It's not required?

My son is a Pee Wee now, but he has had to wear them since Mites. Neck guards are optional, but he wears one of those as well. I have bought him very expensive soft mouth guards, but he chess through them in a couple of weeks :laugh: When he gets his braces, I'm having the orthodontist do custom mouth guards for both hockey and lacrosse.

Just curious, where is your son playing? I played some youth hockey when I was living in western mass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad