ESPN HFBruins Fantasy Hockey League (Season 1)

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I'm all for making saves a little higher, they're definitely too low, I'd keep shots as is though. Unless they go to around ~.05, which would be fine.

Yeah, shots are no big deal. At this rate they are meanigless, but nevermind that. Goalies on the other hand are a real problem here. In our scenario a goalie can have a 50 save game, allow 1 goal, but if his team somehow looses 0:1, this amazing performance will be rewarded by -0.5 points. Thats just strange.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Those would be my suggestions if a change is still possible

- Assists reduced from 2 to 1.5, so two assists can be worth as much as a goal
- Shots on goal from 0.01 to 0.1
- Saves up from 0.01 to 0.1, with every goal against counting as -1, that would result in a nice combo, usually you get around 25-28 saves per game and give up around 2.6-2.8 goals on average, the norm evens out over the course of a season, so the difference between good, mediocre and bad goaltending will show long-term spread out over the year
- wins by goalies might be valued too high ? It's too much of a team stat to give 5 points for it. A 30 wins goalie would be worth more than a 50 goal scorer, considering there would be some shutouts sprinkled in

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Those would be my suggestions if a change is still possible

- Assists reduced from 2 to 1.5, so two assists can be worth as much as a goal
- Shots on goal from 0.01 to 0.1
- Saves up from 0.01 to 0.1, with every goal against counting as -1, that would result in a nice combo, usually you get around 25-28 saves per game and give up around 2.6-2.8 goals on average, the norm evens out over the course of a season, so the difference between good, mediocre and bad goaltending will show long-term spread out over the year
- wins by goalies might be valued too high ? It's too much of a team stat to give 5 points for it. A 30 wins goalie would be worth more than a 50 goal scorer, considering there would be some shutouts sprinkled in

These are all reasonable suggestions. Although, I would keep assist at 2, personally, wins are also fine now, but 4 points would be fair too, I think. The most important thing is to increase the saves from 0.01 to 0.1. Exactly as you say, it creates nice balance. As it is now, goalies who play for loosing teams are useless. Last night, I put Ryan Miller on the bench, even though Buffalo was playing. He had a very good game, with 94% save percentage, but he lost and he would bring -1.7 points. Good thing I benched him. But of course it is not nice for me that I have to bench a guy that I drafted in the 6th or 7th round, especially because the value of every save was set at 0.3 at the draft, so I had entirely different expectations.

EDIT: It seems that scoring settings are not locked and can be changed at any time during the season. The changes will also retroactively modify the league standings. (http://games.espn.go.com/fhl/resources/help/faq?name=when-do-league-settings-lock)

Last edited:

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
We need to get Yeti to change this if he can but i don't think he has posted here or on the fantasy league for awhile, hopefully he's ok. If it goes a couple more days i'll email ESPN and see if we can get another commish added. It's been awhile but I know we had to do it in a baseball league i was in. So hopefully it can still be done.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
We need to get Yeti to change this if he can but i don't think he has posted here or on the fantasy league for awhile, hopefully he's ok. If it goes a couple more days i'll email ESPN and see if we can get another commish added. It's been awhile but I know we had to do it in a baseball league i was in. So hopefully it can still be done.

If we are all in agreement about the changes, then it can be done later on, because the changes will retroactively modify previous results. At least that is how I interpret the rules (see the edit of my previous post, I posted a link to the ESPN rules)

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
I'm iffy on raising saves, because in most leagues saves dont count at all.

But, if its popular opinion I will change it. Sorry I havent been posting, Ive been busy since its Mid-term time at school, so Ive had a lot of homework, and on top that I havent been feeling too well.

I changed saves to 0.1/pt per save and the shots to 0.1 pt/per shot. I dont think I can change the IR slot, I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Thanks for changing it Yeti. It looks good now - the projections for top goalies are around the same as the projections for top skaters, and I think that is how it should be.

Now I regret scratching Ryan Miller, because I lost some points, but screw that, Grabovski more than made up for it with his hattrick :)

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Holy crap some people with 50+ points already.

I got very lucky. 20 points from Grabovski in his first 2 games and today Neuvirth replaced Holtby for Washington after Holtby let in 3 goals early and completed a comeback. Very unexpected, but I will take it. 55 points already, and I still have Heatley playing and Thornton, Luongo, Kesler, Ribeiro and M. Staal are just starting their games. Good start for me. It is my first fantasy league, so I guess its some beginners luck..

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
Lets all be thankful I am not the GM of the B's. I accidentally missed our draft(forgot about the time change) and had my team autodrafted. That team has 61pts already! My other league I drafted what I think is a decent team but only 56 pts...:cry:. the crazy part is you would think 56 pts isn't too bad right? There are 5 teams with 80+ pts already!

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Carolina is dominating the tired Flyers and my boy Cam Ward doesn't get to play.

Thanks Chia! :rant:

Last edited:

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad