ESPN, Fox, WBD, to launch joint sports streaming service

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Massive news!

Truthfully, this belongs in BoH. Huge hockey implications, with ESPN, ESPN+, and TNT coming together.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So the three main sports competitors coming together to put all of their properties on one service?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yeah, I think Fox really needed someone to come force their hand. They have NFL, college football, & MLB Postseason, but unless you're a Big Ten or Big East basketball fan, there's not much reason to have it for 8 months of the year. So that made their potential DTC offering a tough sell.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

Disney's ESPN will team up with Warner Bros. Discovery and Fox to launch a new sports streaming service, set to debut sometime this fall.

Analyst believes cost should be $30+/month.
Espn+ is 20 bucks now, so 30:would be a steal for that additional programming.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Disney bundle including espn+ is ~$20 (with commercials). I pay $75 for YTTV to get ESPN and TNT and local channels.
My Stand-alone ESPN+ subscription is 20,I buy month to month because I don’t watch it in the summer. i sure as hell don’t want the Disney bundle and that programming. I’d never watch it (if others do, that’s great too).

I wants sports streaming.

I stand by the comment that 30 bucks would be a deal, comparatively, in my situation.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Disney's ESPN will team up with Warner Bros. Discovery and Fox to launch a new sports streaming service, set to debut sometime this fall.

Analyst believes cost should be $30+/month.

TSN in Canada is 20 bucks a month.

I'd guess that it's over 30.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

The streaming service will launch in the fall and will be equally co-owned by each of the three companies. Subscribers will be offered a list of networks, including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, ACCN, ESPNEWS, ABC, Fox, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, truTV and ESPN+. The service, not unlike a sports-only cable subscription, will also include hundreds of hours of NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and college sports content.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Would say odds are high there will be exclusive content on the new streaming service. Going from double-dipping to triple-dipping.

If you have cable/sat and get all those channels, you currently still have to have ESPN+ for the exclusive games, and now they'll want you to have the new service as well so take more stuff away from what you already have so you have to add yet another streaming service as a sports fan. I'd be shocked if it's just straightforward DTC (cable sports without having to have cable), will definitely be service only exclusives or service only exclusive channel(s). If not at launch, eventually. That's the true business model, making people have to have ALL options, instead of getting the same content this way or that.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
My Stand-alone ESPN+ subscription is 20,I buy month to month because I don’t watch it in the summer. i sure as hell don’t want the Disney bundle and that programming. I’d never watch it (if others do, that’s great too).

I wants sports streaming.

I stand by the comment that 30 bucks would be a deal, comparatively, in my situation.

How so much?

1707277839607.png

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Both Sportsnet+ and TSN Direct have struggled to gain much traction in Canada BallySports+ has flopped despite being a very good deal in Detroit

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Check out this Podcast: Ford Shares Surge After Earnings, and Can China’s Rally Continue? 2/6/24 Ford Shares Surge After Earnings, and Can China’s Rally Continue? 2/6/24

Podcast of CNBC's Fast Money. Start off with news of venture.

Ownership will be shared equally, but not revenues, IOW ESPN will get more due to quantity of sports.

Entity will not bid on sports.

Estimated $30-40 monthly price.

Why aren't NBC and CBS included?

Antitrust issues?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Collectively, the new "joint venture" sports streaming partnership between Disney's ESPN, Warner Bros. Discovery and Fox would encompass about 55% of US sports...

Perhaps an answer to "Big Tech" (IOW Alpahbet/Google/YouTube, Amazon, Apple).

This pundit thinks they may combine to bid on sports packages, especially with NBA seeking $75m deal (up from $24m) when rights expire after 24/25 season.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
"Collectively, the new service encompasses about 55% of US sports rights"

Feels high when you consider all the local rights across the NBA and MLB this does not include.

Also, the NHL really needs to drop NHL Network exclusivity and get those games on ESPN+. It's already difficult to access it with it on so few streaming platforms.

Reactions: dj4aces and DaveG

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHL Network is bundled with other channels for $11/month. Good content but not worth it for 1-2 games/year for your favorite team.

This analyst thinks price will be $45-55/mo. And has nice list of what is/not included.

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
This deal is good for NHL fans now, but network deals come and go, so it might be moot if the league doesn't renew the existing arrangements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad