World Cup: ESPN Fixing The world Cup Qualification

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Just to add - the group of pundits on ESPN FC is the biggest collection of absolute clowns ever assembled.

Surprised Nicol isn't arguing that Livapuuleee is betta than most of these teams

Reactions: KJS14

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Italy's got no one to blame but themselves for missing out.

Better luck next time, I wouldn't want a set ranking to be the sole deciding factor.

Qualify out of the group, and you're in. Simple as.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd like CONMEBOL and CONCACAF have a joint qualification. AFC and OFC as well. That would improve the quality a bit and still give everyone the chance to qualify.

But if there was one single thing I could change I'd change the way UEFA determines its spots. Some of the European qualification groups are much easier than others, so in most years you get some meh-teams who qualify. You know there is something wrong with the process when a group has Norway as the top seed (2012/qualification for 2014). I'd prefer a two-tiered system with tougher and more even groups in the top tier.

Nah, most of Concacaf is trash would just lessen Conmebol. Mexico & the US should just join Conmebol, leaving Concacaf as it's own Oceana like confederation, with two spots going from Concacaf to conmebol.

As for your Uefa changes, why? The playoffs are there for teams whose shitty ranking left them with a tough group, like Italy. Italy failed to qualify because they weren't as good as the Swedes, not because of unbalanced groups.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just to add - the group of pundits on ESPN FC is the biggest collection of absolute clowns ever assembled.

Surprised Nicol isn't arguing that Livapuuleee is betta than most of these teams

Nonsense. They had a hugely informative segment about how Timo Werner is just average...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why not make the WORLD cup a tournament of 6/7 countries since, those are the usually or traditional winners? Save us some time/money excluding teams that have no chance in winning. Yay that's more fun.

Reactions: cgf

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
First watch this video:

Interesting concept put fourth by the ESPN crew, one that is discussed frequently before World Cups.

Is the current set up for qualifying for the World Cup at its best right now?

Below is the current World Cup teams beside the top 32, which would make a better tournament? DO people like underdog stories more or do they want more of a true best on best tournament? I've been thinking about qualification a lot recently and how it could possibly be improved and would love to see some discussion on it:

Bodled are the countries in the top 32 that did not qualify for the World Cup.

World Cup As Is:Top 32 Teams as Ranked by FIFA:
Germany
Brazil
Belgium
Portugal
Argentina
Switzerland
France
Poland
Spain
Peru
Denmark
England
Uruguay
Mexico
Columbia
Croatia
Tunisia
Iceland
Costa RIca
Sweden
Senegal
Serbia (34)
Australia (36)
Iran (37)
Morocco (41)
Egypt (45)
Nigeria (48)
Panama (55)
Korea Republic (57)
Japan (61)
Saudi Arabia (67)
Russia (70)

1. Germany
  2. Brazil
  3. Belgium
  4. Portugal
  5. Argentina
  6. Switzerland
  7. France
  8. Poland
  9. Chile
  10. Spain
  11. Peru
  12. Denmark
  13. England
  14. Uruguay
  15. Mexico
  16. Columbia
  17. Netherlands
  18. Wales
  19. Italy
  20. Croatia
  21. Tunisia
  22. Iceland
  23. Costa Rica
  24. Sweden
  25. USA
  26. Austria
  27. Senegal
  28. Slovakia
  29. Northern Ireland
  30. Romania
  31. Republic of Ireland
  32. Paraguay
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Chile has been a horrible team since winning Copa América. We won't miss nothing with them out of the world cup.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I'd like CONMEBOL and CONCACAF have a joint qualification. AFC and OFC as well. That would improve the quality a bit and still give everyone the chance to qualify.

But if there was one single thing I could change I'd change the way UEFA determines its spots. Some of the European qualification groups are much easier than others, so in most years you get some meh-teams who qualify. You know there is something wrong with the process when a group has Norway as the top seed (2012/qualification for 2014). I'd prefer a two-tiered system with tougher and more even groups in the top tier.
Concacaf would never go for that. With luck one of their nation would qualify for a Cup every now and then.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Same for AFC and OFC. Abu Dhabi to Sydney is a 13-14 hour flight. Crazy travel.

You realize that Australia is already participating via the AFC qualification? They played in a group with Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Bangladesh in the first stage ("second round") and in a group with Japan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Iraq and Thailand in the second stage ("third round").

That said, I see your argument regardless.

As for your Uefa changes, why? The playoffs are there for teams whose ****ty ranking left them with a tough group, like Italy. Italy failed to qualify because they weren't as good as the Swedes, not because of unbalanced groups.

My issue isn't with tough groups, it's with easy groups that allow mediocre teams to advance. An example from the 2014 qualification: Greece made it to the WC based on getting lots of points in a group with Bosnia, Slovakia, Lithuania, Latvia and Liechtenstein and then eliminating Romania in the playoffs. Meanwhile Ukraine who were barley topped by England in their group had to play against France in the playoffs and were eliminated. Or Switzerland in the 2010 qualification. Not a bad team, but topping a group with Greece, Latvia, Israel, Luxembourg and Moldova shouldn't be enough to ensure qualification IMHO.

I just think UEFA representation could be a bit stronger than it is now.

Concacaf would never go for that. With luck one of their nation would qualify for a Cup every now and then.

I realize this. It would be for the better of the game though.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Chile: Have been on a decline since the two Copa wins. South America has always been a tough place to qualify out of given the talent at the 18 game sked teams have to play. One has to remember that there was worry early on if Argentina and even Brazil might not qualify for the WC.

Netherlands: They made the finals in '74 and '78 but didn't qualify in '82 or '86. Too much good talent retired after 2014 and replacements have been below par or even misused (Bas Dost being a latter example).

Wales: Bale has greatness, but you can't sustain on a big Euro bump. Group of Death for qualification and didn't deliver when needed

Italy: Been in decline for years and don't have the talent that can replace a lot of the great players.

USA: Would've, Could've, Should've qualified out of CONCACAF. Trinidad got its revenge for '89 even though already eliminated.

Austria: See Wales.

Slovakia: Needed to pick up points again non-England sides, but didn't.

Northern Ireland: had to meet the Swiss in a playoff.

Romania: Underperformed.

Republic of Ireland: Had to meet the Danes in the playoff.

Paraguay: Couldn't beat an already eliminated Venezuela, and actually lost to them. A win would have given them 27 pts and a shot at the playoff round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad