ESPN estimates the Kings wind up 16th in the NHL

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/stor...prospectus-projections-2013-14-team-standings

I am baffled as to how they can assume the Kings wind up 16th in the NHL. Did I miss something?

1 Pittsburgh Penguins 101
2 New York Rangers 97
3 Boston Bruins 97
4 Chicago Blackhawks 97
5 Ottawa Senators 96
6 St. Louis Blues 96
7 Edmonton Oilers 95
8 Montreal Canadiens 95
9 Philadelphia Flyers 94
10 Toronto Maple Leafs 93
11 Dallas Stars 92
12 Tampa Bay Lightning 92
13 Phoenix Coyotes 91
14 Washington Capitals 91
15 Carolina Hurricanes 91
16 Los Angeles Kings 91
17 Columbus Blue Jackets 91
18 Anaheim Ducks 91
19 New Jersey Devils 90
20 San Jose Sharks 90
21 Vancouver Canucks 89
22 New York Islanders 89
23 Detroit Red Wings 88
24 Winnipeg Jets 88
25 Colorado Avalanche 88
26 Nashville Predators 87
27 Buffalo Sabres 86
28 Calgary Flames 83
29 Minnesota Wild 83
30 Florida Panthers 80

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
10 of the top 16 teams are from the East. Of those 6 western teams, the Oilers are the best in the Pacific.

You know, its heartwarming to see the good people at ESPN really embracing the modern day push to integrate special-needs employees into the workforce.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The teams ranked ahead of the Kings are hilarious. Phoenix? Toronto? Dallas? Edmonton? These projections are garbage. How the **** are teams like the Sharks and Red Wings ranked so low? Minnesota second to last? I can't believe someone hired this buffoon to come up with a flawed formula that projects such garbage.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Okay so the pacific is going to go Edmonton-Phoenix-Kings? Did I miss something? And having New Jersey at 19 with Minny at 29 is pretty bad as well.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I assume they used some sort of weird formula for their point rankings. Only one team with 100 points, yeat everyone has at least 80? I know the NHL is bending towards parity more and more each year, but that is a really weird to see such narrow division of teams.

ESPN's point totals are way to close to one another. Last year, in a shortened season, there was a 41 point divid between first overall and last overall. Over a full season, that extrapolates to a 70 point gap. And ESPN thinks there will only be a 21 point divid between 1st overall and last overall?

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Another brilliant piece by Espn.

29nhso6.gif

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Despite everyone's prognostications, it's actually playing the games that determines the final standings, and past results are no guarantee of future performance.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/stor...prospectus-projections-2013-14-team-standings

I am baffled as to how they can assume the Kings wind up 16th in the NHL. Did I miss something?

1 Pittsburgh Penguins 101
2 New York Rangers 97
3 Boston Bruins 97
4 Chicago Blackhawks 97
5 Ottawa Senators 96
6 St. Louis Blues 96
7 Edmonton Oilers 95
8 Montreal Canadiens 95
9 Philadelphia Flyers 94
10 Toronto Maple Leafs 93
11 Dallas Stars 92
12 Tampa Bay Lightning 92
13 Phoenix Coyotes 91
14 Washington Capitals 91
15 Carolina Hurricanes 91
16 Los Angeles Kings 91
17 Columbus Blue Jackets 91
18 Anaheim Ducks 91
19 New Jersey Devils 90
20 San Jose Sharks 90
21 Vancouver Canucks 89
22 New York Islanders 89
23 Detroit Red Wings 88
24 Winnipeg Jets 88
25 Colorado Avalanche 88
26 Nashville Predators 87
27 Buffalo Sabres 86
28 Calgary Flames 83
29 Minnesota Wild 83
30 Florida Panthers 80

46 years of history...?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I am baffled as to how they c
an assume the Kings wind up 16th in the NHL. Did I miss something

Because most ESPN reporters not named Pierre Le Brun don't understand hockey.

Because it's based on a priinciple that makes little sense:

How did we come to these conclusions? Using a statistical projection engine called VUKOTA, which makes use of the goals versus threshold (GVT) metric. Described by creator Tom Awad as "GVT's most powerful descendant," VUKOTA projects a player's likely future based on the scoring of historically comparable players.

"Since team GVT is simply the sum of player GVTs, the sum of the VUKOTA GVT values on a team becomes our projection for the team's goal differential, and consequently, its win-loss record as well, since teams on average record one extra point in the standings for every three goals scored or prevented."

Detroit is listed 23rd and that's beyond stupid, they'll be top 3 in that division most likely.

It's ESPN, you print it out and line tjhe birdcage with it.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

How did we come to these conclusions? Using a statistical projection engine called VUKOTA, which makes use of the goals versus threshold (GVT) metric. Described by creator Tom Awad as "GVT's most powerful descendant," VUKOTA projects a player's likely future based on the scoring of historically comparable players.

"Since team GVT is simply the sum of player GVTs, the sum of the VUKOTA GVT values on a team becomes our projection for the team's goal differential, and consequently, its win-loss record as well, since teams on average record one extra point in the standings for every three goals scored or prevented."

Detroit is listed 23rd and that's beyond stupid, they'll be top 3 in that division most likely.

4871-10Fr.jpg

jml87

Jun 27, 2011

What the hell are they talking about? VUKOTA GVT? What?

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
last week some article on ESPN was predicting that LA was going to win the SC. now this? they must be throwing darts at a wall collage of NHL logos, in order to come up with this stuff. they don't seem to have any type of logic or knowledge to their predictions

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Or they have a mishmash of ill informed writers not really on the same wavelength spewing out contradicting articles for the plebs to gobble up.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Before we start to laugh it off lets wait and see until the seasons over to thumb our noses to ESPN. I remember everybody here talking about how bad the Ducks were going to be and they ended up winning the division.

Look Pens and Hawks will be 1 or 2 then you have Calgary, Florida, Buffalo, and NJ carrying the rear then all the other teams roll the dice I would not surprised by the order. Hey by the points listed one lucky bounce and were in the top 10!

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Do they actually spend any time on this or just draw names out of a hat?

I think the Kings are going to have a great year, especially of Mitchell stays healthy. Kopitar should have a bounce-back type year. I think Frattin will be a great addition.

Hoping to see a couple of the youngsters get playing time to see what they can do. We really have a lot to be thankful for with Toffoli/Pearson/Shore/Vey/etc..

I'm a little worried about our defensive prospects going forward. We need to recover from the loss of a guy like Scuderi. I am not sold on Regehr..hope he has a good year but i'm not holding my breath. Hope Sutter isn't one of those guys who will stick with a guy even if he isn't doing diddly squat.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Before we start to laugh it off lets wait and see until the seasons over to thumb our noses to ESPN. I remember everybody here talking about how bad the Ducks were going to be and they ended up winning the division.

Look Pens and Hawks will be 1 or 2 then you have Calgary, Florida, Buffalo, and NJ carrying the rear then all the other teams roll the dice I would not surprised by the order. Hey by the points listed one lucky bounce and were in the top 10!

Maybe if they had some sort of legit facts when making this list I would take it seriously. The problem is ESPN is known for not having a clue about hockey. Also they are using some Vukota system that is about as accurate as pulling names out of a hat. Yeah, sure it could happen like this. I could also, throw a bunch of logos in the air and make a list that might be accurate as well.

It's sports journalism, you should know more about the sport you are writing. You should be backing up your opinions with facts and numbers (and no not just using one system and basing your entire predictions on that). Actually do some research.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
This guy needs to go back to work as a day trader and leave the hockey predictions to people who actually watch hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad