ESPN Commentators Hear Final Settlement Push Coming By End of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
Last night during the USA and Russia WJC game Buccigross and Melrose both commented that they had talked to a number of players and NHL insiders and heard from multiple sources that the NHLPA was going to contact the NHL in the later part of this week for a final negotiating push for a settlement before the Jan 14th meeting date of the owners. They both felt "optimistic" about a settlement to preserve half the season and the Playoffs [and therefore the 2005 draft].

I predict the Union will come back with an offer to take the 24% rollback off the table; offer a phased in cap starting much higher than the 39 mill for a couple years then dropping down to a 40-45 mill range. They will also insist on maintaining arbitration rights [but probably in the MLB style]. They will also insist on an UFA age of 27 or 28 in return for the cap.

The players, in their mind, have already given up this money in their mind. To get it back by taking the 24% rooback offer off the table, and getting a much lowered UFA age will allow them the feeling that the have "won" in some manner and makes accepting a phased in cap more palatable.

Both sides being able to declare that they have won in SOME manner, yet giving the other side something they feel like they HAVE to have, is the absolute key to settlement in any collective bargaining situation.

The owners, IMO, would be foolish not to accept a stuation like this.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
I can see the players coming up with another proposal and may even accept cost linkage in return for removing their 24% rollback but IMO a phased in cost linkage system of about 54% of gross revenue is none negotiable. They might be able to get Free Agency at age 29, they might be able to get 2 way arbitration back on the table, 100% plus-minus contract qualifiers and increase entry level bonus money up to a set amount but that's about it. Don't expect the owners to increase the % of gross revenue or remove cost linkage from any potential deal. The players have one last chance so they better get it right this time and be more open minded and considerate of the game and it's fans.

misterjaggers

Sep 7, 2003
The Duke City
An NHLPA compromise on the salary cap issue should shift the momentum and win the players some P.R. points. It would be the start of "real" negotiation.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
If the PA decided to at least DISCUSS cost certainty in their next proposal, then coming to an agreement would not be too difficult, because it would just become a compromise of the cap thresholds and other stipulations. It would no longer be the philisophical war that it is now.

I've been feeling this for a while now as well, the PA must realize that negotiating cost certainty now, and starting to regain their financial losses as soon as possible is a much better option than holding out for a year more, losing this battle, and losing a year and a half's wages which they will never get back.

Hockey_Nut99

I hope the PA doesn't throw something like a 60 million dollar cap on the table and then keep saying "We made significant concessions".

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Hockey_Nut99 said:
I hope the PA doesn't throw something like a 60 million dollar cap on the table and then keep saying "We made significant concessions".
thats not a significant concession ?

dr

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
deathbear said:
no, of course not. a cap that high is useless, you know that.

still, the owners demands of a cap in the 30+ million mark is also dumb. i like the 45 number.
if you ask me, a cap of 60m makes more sense for a team like CRL and EDM than forcing them to spend 34m does.

dr

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think that its very possible that the PA is going to come to the table with a salary cap proposal. that will allow negotiations. the cap number can't be as high as $45m, though. IF you look at how many teams were in that $45m range and losing money last year, it makes it very hard for owners to accept that number. however, $38m is a nice middle point between the owners $31m and the PA's $45m.

what the pa really gets out of this is no give back in salary. players that are worth their money will continue to get it. they will keep guaranteed contracts and 2/3s buyout price. they will get a nice lower ufa qualification. likely that will be based on a service minimum, 6 to 8 years, rather than an age. arbitration will remain with some adjustments.

but if the nhlpa does not bring a cap proposal we can forget the season.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
why don't the players and owners agree to salvage this season based on the 24% rollback and continue to negotiate on an agreement for the long-term? these two sides appear to be close enough to save at least this season.

further, why are both sides trying to hit a home run for a long-term deal? if the owners get what they want, it won't be long until the players strike. if the players win this battle over ideology (which is highly unlikely), you can start the count-down to another lock-out.

therefore, doesn't it make more sense to develop short-running CBAs and continue to negotiate off of them so that both sides can continue to make a deal that's fair to both sides after both have had an opportunity to live under different economic conditions. imo, both sides are being way too inflexible.

Last edited:

Taranis_24

Jan 6, 2004
Visit site
Jeri -

There isn't any precedent showing that the NHLPA is willing to work on CBA issues until it expires. NHL would lose any bargaining power if they were to agree to an interim agreement.

A Good Flying Bird*

Taranis_24 said:
Jeri -

There isn't any precedent showing that the NHLPA is willing to work on CBA issues until it expires. NHL would lose any bargaining power if they were to agree to an interim agreement.

This is absolute nonsense.
Last year, DALY AND SASKIN both led negotiating teams that were working on an agreement until Bettman called it off.
Last year, the CBA wasn't expired.

Let's talk facts, alright?

Brent Burns Beard