ESPN’s top 50 players in the playoffs

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Has this thread devolved into an argument about which one of two of the best players in the leagues team underperforms less in the playoffs?
Kinda weird flex guys!

Reactions: Chaos2k7

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It's a prediction based in part on how far voters think teams will go but everyone here is skipping over that right?
Sure it is.... Matthews at 1st definitely shows that to be the case.

It's either clickbait to drive traffic, or, and the more likely case because ESPN, complete shit.
I'll go with option 2 until ESPN actually puts out something decent that involves hockey.

Reactions: YukonCornelius

Duder54

Frankly, I'm not even sure Matthews belongs on the list at this point.

Is there anyone in the league who elevates their game as much as Draisaitl come playoff time? The list would be short, that's for sure.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 08.59.57.png

The Oilers get a free pass playing the worst team in the playoffs yet again. What a joke. Easy to pad the stats.
Weird, the last time I checked, the Oilers weren't playing the Maple Leafs... ;)

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Frankly, I'm not even sure Matthews belongs on the list at this point.

Is there anyone in the league who elevates their game as much as Draisaitl come playoff time? The list would be short, that's for sure.

View attachment 861009

Weird, the last time I checked, the Oilers weren't playing the Maple Leafs... ;)
These stats can be misleading for players who were slower starters and missed playoffs during that time.
For example in Mackinnon case if you take seasons 17/18 forward his RS/PO is 1.41->1.3
For Draisaitl it is 1.3->1.62.
Still obviously Draisailt and McDavid improvments are very rare historically.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Is there anywhere showing playoff stats by what each player does in playoffs by...
  • Players total & average in 1st round only?
  • Players total & average in 2nd round only?
  • Players total & average in 3rd round only?
  • Players total & average in 4th round only?
All stats, what eras, and other variables change equations...
  • Seems scoring playoff points/averages -vs- better teams during later rounds would carry more weight when trying to find best playoff performers.
  • Or does a players like, say Leafs Mathews who has feasted on 1st round opponents most his playoff career.
  • Get same love & weight has a player who's been preforming in 2nd, 3rd ,& 4th rounds too?
  • Sorry Mathews fans, it's just Leafs have bowed out in 1st round so much, it was easy choice for example here (Nothing personal).
  • This thinking works same for players who seem to never get past 2nd round playoffs.
Does a player who scores in 1st rd 3 year straight, deserve same playoff scoring respect as player who scored well during 4 playoff rounds in one yr? Just because they both average similar scoring per playoff game? Those seem like completely different playoff animals: when considering what, who, and when in playoffs. Doesn't it? Stats, averages, etc. are good but they don't aways tell whole story after other intangbles/varibles are added into equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: jigglysquishy

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Might be one of the worst lists I’ve ever seen, lmao. Kucherov at #6 stands out as particularly gross given his playoff history and performance this season.

JT Miller 29 and Boeser not in top 50 in the playoffs makes it the dumbest list ever. Pettersson at 13 is funny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad