Tribute Espen Knutsen

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are you guys memories of this player? What did he bring to the ice? Was he soft?

He is actually considered the second best player from Norway ever, best one is Zuccarello.

Recently saw a interview with him, so just curious what Jacket fans have to say about him.

season-player-espen-knutsen-of-the-columbus-blue-jackets-picture-id52386388

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He was pretty good. One of the only notable players on those early teams.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
He remains one of my favorites. He was the first Jacket to make it to NHL All Star game. He was very tough for a smallish guy. Once had most of his front teeth knocked out but was back on the ice quickly. He was not just very good, he was outstanding. Probably one of the top 3 centers in Jackets history. Who knows what he might have achieved if he was not directly involved in the worst accident NHL history. It really broke him as a player. He, admittedly, was never the same player afterward.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
He and Geoff Sanderson were actually a pretty deadly duo in the early days. As EDM mentioned, Espen remains one of the top 5 centers the CBJ have ever had. He lost all passion for playing after the accident and it ended his playing career for all intents and purposes.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
He was physically over-matched often, but he never shied away or backed off, under-sized but hard-nosed. He also brought some skill to a team that urgently needed it; when given room to move he could be dangerous.

I agree his game suffered after the Brittanie Cecil tragedy (which was not at all his fault - the puck was deflected). If my memory of his interviews is accurate he always carried himself well, sort of fun-loving but not at all obnoxious.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He remains one of my favorites. He was the first Jacket to make it to NHL All Star game. He was very tough for a smallish guy. Once had most of his front teeth knocked out but was back on the ice quickly. He was not just very good, he was outstanding. Probably one of the top 3 centers in Jackets history. Who knows what he might have achieved if he was not directly involved in the worst accident NHL history. It really broke him as a player. He, admittedly, was never the same player afterward.
It's still sad to know how he carried that with him for so long. I seem to recall he actually came back to town a couple of years ago and even got a chance to speak with the family after so many years. I think that finally helped him put some closure on the situation.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Today's game is much more suited for his skillset and abilities. As noted above, he's make our team most years as he was really very good. The unfortunate tragedy appeared to have such an impact on him and his skill over forecheck game was just the wrong time to be in the NHL.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
He is actually considered the second best player from Norway ever, best one is Zuccarello.
Curious about how thoresen is compared ? I guess I never heard much talk about Knutsen because of how he ended his career

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
He was one of the first victims of the penitentiary curse when Moltby(I think it was) almost cut off his finger with a slash (or was Sanderson shoulder first?). Was a great setup man and helped this team greatly In those beginning years.
And the tragedy was, well, just that, a tragedy…both for him and Brittneys family. I was at the game and it happened in the end I was in (224), that was the fastest puck we’d seen come into the stands and as mentioned was not his fault ( I believe it was Derek Morris who deflected it), but anytime I see a puck go into the nets it shocks me that they weren’t up long before that incident.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Some sad news coming from Norway. Espen Knutsen´s wife, Fanny Jahre, has passed away at the age of 45. Not much news, other than she died of acute illness.

Google translate:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad