Prospect Info: Esa Lindell

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
The gap between Jyrki Jokipakka and Esa Lindell is big. I don't think it's even worth discussing.

It will only get bigger as Lindell matures.

This, granted it was a smaller sample size, but Jokipokka was outplayed by Lindell in all areas of the games, not just better offensively, but defensively as well. I think Finland maybe allowed one or two goals when he was on the ice this last world championship, and one of those was an Empty net goal in the final game, thats the only one I saw, but I did miss one of their games, so maybe a second was scored.

One of the things to consider, because it doesn't show up on the score sheets. It was a Lindell pass that started a breakout that led to many of Finlands goals this last WC, he didnt always get an assist or even be on the ice still for the eventual goal (lots of great outlet passes before heading to the bench for a change right before a goal, one game this happened twice).

I dont think he will be another Klingberg, just a different kind of player. Has great vision though and at least in the games I've seen very calm in the defensive zone, very good at using his size to push guys wide (which unfortunately Kari has a bad habit of allowing bad angle shots to slip through him.)

Is there a risk he will struggle to adjust to the faster pace of the NHL, sure, and he might struggle at first, but if given the chance to adjust he could looks great by seasons end.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
The few games Lindell played past season were in my eyes promising. Skill wise he was good just seemed that he needs time to get used to NHL play. At the start of the season he will be one year older, one championship and one world cup more experienced.

Yes our defence seems bit risky but the rewards are there. We might have best bang for the buck defence next season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Right now we're going into the season with :

Nemeth/Lindell - Klingberg
Oduya - Johns
Nemeth/Lindell - Jordie
Oleksiak

If there's a 1-2 year deal to be had for Campbell , Hamhuis it would be a good idea to go for that . I'm decently confident in Lindell and somewhat confident that Nemeth is good enough for a third paring but Oleksiak inspires 0 confidence for me. Not even as a #7 . Rather trade him for scraps and sign a vet that can fill in .

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Was a big fan of Lindell prior to the WHC. He seemed to struggle a lot getting the puck out of the own end and opening up the game (the whole team had the same issues so could have been bad coaching). When he did get the puck off the stick, you never knew if it was going to result into turnover or something else. Also he seemed greatly troubled in the offensive end, especially when receiving passes, the puck kind of fumbled in his stick. Looked like he had some serious confidence issues. This was not the same Lindell I saw playing in the WHC the other year and being one of the team's best defencemen. Other teams took a note on our weakness and started pressing high so the offence had to come down to help with defence and get the game going the other way. Against Canada we had no chance whatsoever with the given D-group.

As I said the problems could have been partly cause by the coaching but his value sort of dropped in my eyes atleast. That said if he plays in the NHL next season, I truly hope he has his confidence back and doesn't shutdown like he did in the championships. Always thought this guy had a potential to surprise a lot of people in the NA. Lets pray that will be the case.

Does anyone know whether Honka will get a real try next season or are they planning to play him in the AHL?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Does anyone know whether Honka will get a real try next season or are they planning to play him in the AHL?

My guess is Honka gets the same treatment Johns did where he might get a look late in the season if he's playing great in the AHL and there are guys struggling on the NHL roster.

The Dallas roster is already full of d-men. For Honka to get a spot on the team out of camp, Nill would have to move someone.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I specifically watched Lindell in his NHL debut, and thought he had some tentativeness to his game then. Interesting post above where that had crept in before.

We sure don't need another d man who has trouble moving the puck under pressure.

They are sold on him, and I have heard the "Best D man not in the NHL right now" label affixed, so I expect he may struggle early, but eventually be a good, solid D man. Wondering if he would be anywhere near top pairing material, or turn out to be a Grossman or similar mid pair guy.

Time will tell.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I specifically watched Lindell in his NHL debut, and thought he had some tentativeness to his game then. Interesting post above where that had crept in before.

We sure don't need another d man who has trouble moving the puck under pressure.

They are sold on him, and I have heard the "Best D man not in the NHL right now" label affixed, so I expect he may struggle early, but eventually be a good, solid D man. Wondering if he would be anywhere near top pairing material, or turn out to be a Grossman or similar mid pair guy.

Time will tell.

Yeah, he was pretty crappy when he came up for a short stay. My hope is that was nerves or comfort or something similar.

My other hope is Lindell knowing he has a spot through training camp gives him the confidence to settle in and play well. Of course, I was saying the same thing about Oleksiak going into last season's camp...

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm not too worried. With Hamhuis we have 2 functional defense pairs and we can ease him in to the NHL with soft zone starts and competition.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
QoC is overrated. It's no longer 2012

Fine, you can get to the final with a Dillon-Polak pairing that everyone targets and win the cup with Justin Shultz who everyone also targets. Good coaches can figure it out.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Fine, you can get to the final with a Dillon-Polak pairing that everyone targets and win the cup with Justin Shultz who everyone also targets. Good coaches can figure it out.

I'm so confused.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm so confused.

Pittsburgh won with Schultz. Every time he was on the ice, DeBoer was frantically trying to get Pavelski and Thonton out there to take advantage.

San Jose made it to the final with Dillon and Polak as a pairing. Every time they were on ice, every other team was frantically trying to get their best guys out there.

If Lindell should struggle, it shouldn't prevent a good coach from getting a win if he has 2 other pairs to play. We can still be OK if Lindell is at the floor of our expectations for him.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I actually expect a bit more than the floor, given their very public excitement about his skills, and the fact he was paired with Johns as the 1-2 punch in Austin, so he should be similar level, if a different player.

Yes, he did not impress in his first NHL stint. Then again, a similarly touted Klingberg stunk up the pre-season and got sent down, and upon return, was everything advertised. Slumps happen, and maybe the first cup of coffee isn't the right thing to judge on over a body of work to get ready.

I also think he will look better in the last 20 games than the first 20.....

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He played 97 total games last season. Which blew right past his previous high of 81 games. Maybe at the end he was just tired. It happens and a short tournament isn't how he should be judged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad