Prospect Info: Esa Lindell

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
A prospect that has flown under the radar, but is playing big minutes for Finland in the WJC's. What do you guys know about Esa, because I haven't been able to watch any of the WJC's and am clueless about his play.

aloonda*

big tall kid that seems to be every bit as good as ristolainen (sp?) that was picked high in 1st round this year

this is only my third game of his to watch---all in world juniors

I do watch some shl--but haven't seen him with jokerit this year

Primetimey*

Tall lanky kid who has some good offensive instincts. His defensive game still needs work and he could be stronger along the boards and in front of the net.

He has played a good WJCs and it will hopefully boost his confidence after the tournament.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's been great this tournament. His biggest concern is his defensive game, as it is with most offensive guys, but he's improved that part of his game since being drafted, his head is always on a swivel when defending his own end and he doesn't get caught watching the puck often, he doesn't look out of place against players of his own age but he often gets outmuscled against older, stronger players. He's not flashy offensively but he makes smart plays and doesn't crumble when under pressure from forecheckers. His skating could improve but I wouldn't call it a weakness.

I wouldn't pencil him in as a potential top-4 D as of yet, but I don't think that's out of his reach either, likely bet is a bottom pairing D who will play on the powerplay.

aloonda*

he just crossed my mind as a connauton clone----dude can skate similar

aloonda*

I think I agree with you klockis, the hips and being able to flip them was made me go "hey, he has some connauton look" to him

sorry about sweden loss

Jokipakka

Jun 19, 2013
Turku
Lindell to Sochi :sarcasm:

In every Fel game that I have seen, Esa has been dependable 3rd pairing shutdown D with some PK&PP time. He has been impressive in that role and you don't notice him that often because he doesn't make many mistakes or take risks. Just smart, safe plays. He has a lot of confidence and doesn't look like a rookie at all. Jokerit has the best defensive unit in the league so I was very surprised that he was able make that roster. Esa also passed Lindbohm, a promising St.Louis draft pick, on depth chart and Lindbohm was loaned.

In Mestis, Lindell has played a much more offensive game in 2nd pair with 20+ minutes of TOI with good amounts of PK&PP. He likes to join the rush and is dangerous when he does. It would be cool to see some of his junior games when he was all offense, no defence.

Speed is indeed his biggest weakness, but he compensates it with excellent positioning and good situational awareness. He doesn't really have to race anyone, because he is always one step ahead. Esa is a very smart player.

Esa is physical at times, but needs to improve in that area too.

I think he has a pass first mentality, which is good since he is a good passer.

I agree with Jorkkila in that he should stay in Finland for at least another year. I want him to bring his Mestis style of play to pro level and grab a bigger role. Ässät and Ilves are good options. Mäkelä-Lindell pairing would be awesome :yo:

IMO finnish prospects should establish themselves in Fel before crossing the Atlantic. Leaving too soon is a lot more harmful to development than staying too long.

Right now I think that his ceiling is a top-4D.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Someone else called for this. I think it's time he has his own thread as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'm curious to see how next year goes for Lindell. He's been playing great this year in Finland, but I'd expect coming over and starting the year for the Texas Stars to adjust to the NA game.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Starting the next season in Texas, month or two in to the season will be with the big club. Calling it now!

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
If he is on that quick of a pace, it accelerates the need for Nill to pick some favorites among the young D and start trading those with no future.

he is on that track right now, no doubt.
Lot of hockey still left. Can he consistently perform like he has for the first half. Without tiring himself with the 24+min per game he is playing.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Just the next step in the nightmare cycle of our defense:
Daley-Goligoski
Soon to be traded 2nd year defenseman-Soon to be traded 2nd year defenseman
Rookie-Rookie
Jordie

Nothing personal, but I hope he marinates a full season in the AHL.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Please use the AHL as a slow cooker for Honka, Lindell and Bystrom, etc. There's absolutely no need to rush our development in traditional Dallas Stars fashion.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I could see Lindell starting in the AHL then get called up Klingberg style. Basically what Jorkkila said.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Please use the AHL as a slow cooker for Honka, Lindell and Bystrom, etc. There's absolutely no need to rush our development in traditional Dallas Stars fashion.

Exactly my thoughts. Unless they are exceptional talents (Ekblad, Jones, Hanifin). Give them all the time you can. So sick of seeing our defensive prospect flop.

Primetimey*

Yea, Lindell is a '94 and still really young. FEL is good but not a spectacular league. He will need time before playing in the NHL.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'm not happy until our entire defence is first or second year Scandinavian players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad