Esa Lindell - one of the best kept secrets in the league?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Wow. Mind is blown that there's even talk about Top-10/15 dman...not even close. More like a Top100 defenseman, which is a good player but holy cow at the top 10 talk.

Heiskanen and Klingberg play on the same team and they're better.

Lindell was in over his head this year. Got 1D usage and the underlying numbers went way down. Bishop rode a 94 SV% for him so he didn't get destroyed in goals.

He needs to transition and carry the play better at even strength. he chips off window too much when i watch him. he lives to fight another day instead of taking the play to the opposition, again he's a little in over his head with how he was used this year.

It's not that easy. Bishop has been amazing this year, but the team has also managed to limit the amount of high danger shots very well.

upload_2019-5-1_12-59-51.png

There is no data on bad defections and blocking your own goaltender vision, but there could be. That would make it easier to rank defensive D like Lindell.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It actually has. He's still one of the most trusted defenseman on the Stars roster, his icetime is proof of that.
Fair enough. I was thinking of "secret" as in the diving... But actually I don't have the impression he's done any theatrics before, seems likely it was just a brainfart in this one game (and a poor tweet to follow up).

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The only knock on him is that he can never compete with Teppo's hair game, nor be the sexiest man in Finland.
Had he numminens hair and face, would be norris level! Hair style definitely gave teppo that top D swagger

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lindell has a chance to set the record for time on ice on the PK . Niedermayer set it in 08 with 382:45 minutes . Lindell is on pace for 406:16 minutes. He's also really good at it.

Evanc23

Nov 20, 2018
Let's add some content to this bump:

All that tells me is Dallas takes too many penalties and he's the only guy they throw out there. What's their PK ranked as and does the opposition score way fewer shorthanded goals when Lindell is on the ice apart from other defenders? Not arguing that he isn't a good defenseman because he is.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
All that tells me is Dallas takes too many penalties and he's the only guy they throw out there. What's their PK ranked as and does the opposition score way fewer shorthanded goals when Lindell is on the ice apart from other defenders? Not arguing that he isn't a good defenseman because he is.

Stars are certainly taking too many penalties but they're a good PK team . 9th in the league with 84% .

Reactions: Evanc23

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Sorry dude, was just trying to add something other than "Had he numminens hair and face, would be norris level! Hair style definitely gave teppo that top D swagger".

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
This.

Congrats on playing so many minutes during a team's penalized session. Where would they be without him?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
This.

Congrats on playing so many minutes during a team's penalized session. Where would they be without him?

Stars would be absolutely terrible without Lindell, but nice job by you guys to try and put down what he is doing.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Stars would be absolutely terrible without Lindell, but nice job by you guys to try and put down what he is doing.

That doesn't make Esa "AHL" Lindell a good defenseman, let alone a great one.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
That doesn't make Esa "AHL" Lindell a good defenseman, let alone a great one.

Esa Lindell is a damn good defenseman. Continues to be underrated around here as usual. Made McDavid look stupid in OT the other night and is better than most players around the league defensively. Stat watchers will whine about him but he's excellent in his own end. Won't find a single Stars fan complaining about him right now for a reason

Reactions: sr edler

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3