Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Congratulations Ottawa on selecting Erik Karlsson!
match18_s.jpg

"Erik is excellent on the power-play; he makes smart passes and has great vision. He plays the game with confidence, has a natural hockey sense and is a consistent offensive threat. He compensates for his lack of strength and size with his mobility, passing and vision and is at his best as an offensive d-man. Overall, he needs more weight and strength in order to be more effective in front of his own net."

As soon as I saw Alfie walking up there with your management I knew he was going to pick Karlsson. You will be able to see him play on October 2 when Frölunda host Ottawa in Gothenburg. :)

He is small but he has worked hard this season to build up muscle. He has superb offensive skills and confidence rarely found at that age.

This is in OT, in his first SEL game.

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
So we can hold alfie accountable if Karlsson doesnt work out? :)

The expectation seemed to be that Murray would draft big players only. Guess not.

Lets hope he can be a rafalski, although he claims he hopes to be like Kronvall. Fingers crossed.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I wonder if they will have him in the lineup for one of the pre season games in Sweden.

edit-just noticed that the first poster said he will be playing for Frolunda.

This is very nice for Alfie, a hometown boy.

He's listed 4th of the European skaters on the Central scouting list.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I must say that I love the character of the Swedes.

Once they're acclimatized, they're like Canadians with European skill.

If I had my way, I'd stock up on Swedes and Canadians until the cows came home.

Vicarious

Oct 11, 2007
Toronto
Im very happy with this pick. Full of potential and could be a major piece to our blueline in the future. +1 Murray.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Kronwall? He better start hitting the gym, eating lots of veggies, eggs and steak!!!
Kronwall is 6'0", 189lbs. Karlsson is 5'11", 165lbs. Not that far off, and the comparison is due to both playing bigger then their size. Karlsson isn't known for delivering hard open ice hits, but he stands up for him self.

Edit: I can't find the quote right now but McKeen's Hockey rated him 10th overall in their final ranking, and said something along the lines of that he was best offensive defenseman in this draft except for maybe Doughty.

Red Dragon

Feb 11, 2008
Kronwall is 6'0", 189lbs. Karlsson is 5'11", 165lbs. Not that far off, and the comparison is due to both playing bigger then their size. Karlsson isn't know for delivering hard open ice hits, but he stands up for him self.

He is listed as 157lbs on tsn, but Im sure he will fill out.

4thliner*

D -- Erik Karlsson
karlsson_erik.jpg
Team: Frolunda Jr. (Sweden)
2007-08 Stats: 38 GP - 13 G - 24 A - 37 P
Shoots: Right -- Height: 5'11" -- Weight: 165 lbs
Birthdate: May 31, 1990
Hometown: Landsbro, Sweden

"I think he's the steal of the draft to be honest with you if he's not taken in the top 10," said Grant McCagg, publisher of the McKeen's Hockey Draft Guide. "Only Doughty would compare as far as offensive puck skills go and he's probably better because he's a better skater.

"Superior vision, puckhandling, passing, skating and he competes; he's an above average competitor," McCagg said. "Weakness would be he just needs to put on some size and add some muscle and work on his defensive game a little bit. He's one of the top 10 prospects in this draft as far as I'm concerned."

TheHMan

Feb 2, 2008
Montreal
We moved up in the draft to get a Swede? Is this a sign of things to come? Hopefully we can nab Naslund for his whole "money not the important part" deal. :)

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
we shall see how this turns out. I'm fine with guys like this as long as ALL our picks arn't like this. I'd like to see murray take a bigger/physical d-man in a later round. (demers please).

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
He is listed as 157lbs on tsn, but Im sure he will fill out.

He was listed at 5'11", 165lbs, at the draft combine. And to further spin on the Kronwall comparison; Kronwall who was drafted as an overager was listed at 155lbs on draft day.

I can guarantee you that Karlsson would've been a Detroit pick unless he had skyrocket in the rankings the last month.

TheGeneral

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
www.blogger.com
can someone fill me in, I just got home from work. Did ottawa and nashville make a clean swap 18 for 15? Also I really like this pick should be able to step in and make a difference on our PP in a few seasons.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
can someone fill me in, I just got home from work. Did ottawa and nashville make a clean swap 18 for 15? Also I really like this pick should be able to step in and make a difference on our PP in a few seasons.
We added a 3rd rounder in 2009.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I was trying to think why they had moved up, and it dawned on me about a second before they made the pick that they were going to take Karlsson.

I'm quite happy with this outcome.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
In my opinion this is a fantastic pick. It's precisely the type of pick we needed, a player with upside, skill, creativity. He's got steal potential, he's good value at that spot, and securing him cost very little. I'm ecstatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad