Value of: Erik Karlsson

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

Given the individual that runs the business in Ottawa, what are the Sens looking at as a return for Karlsson? Presumably around the beginning of next the next season.

article-2095535-118F9398000005DC-480_966x606.jpg

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
I would think a NHL ready prospect, 1st rounder, 2nd. And 2 prospects. Being that Karlsson is a #1 defenseman

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

Given the individual that runs the business in Ottawa, what are the Sens looking at as a return for Karlsson? Presumably around the beginning of next the next season.

I can’t remember the last time someone of his caliber was traded, i.e. one of the five best players in the league. Given that he’s at the point where whoever has him after next year is paying him at least $10 million a season, my guess is if he’s traded it’s for lots of first round picks and top prospects and a young good defenseman. So, if it were my Devils, and the trade was this minute, it would be McCleod, Damon Severson, and two first round picks not protected.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I would think a NHL ready prospect, 1st rounder, 2nd. And 2 prospects. Being that Karlsson is a #1 defenseman

This season aside, due to injury and surgery, Karlsson is the best defenceman of his generation - not just a #1.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't know if it would be possible to trade for Karlsson. Doughty pretty much said the same thing about LA. It's smart for the player to do so they are giving themselves more leverage to not just say oh yeah i'm going to re-sign here no matter what.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I don't know if it would be possible to trade for Karlsson. Doughty pretty much said the same thing about LA. It's smart for the player to do so they are giving themselves more leverage to not just say oh yeah i'm going to re-sign here no matter what.

Generally I would agree, and if the Sens rumoured ownership change happens, I think he probably stays. With Melnyk at the helm, why would he?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Nylander, Gardiner, Liljegren, Bracco, 1st, 2nd

I wonder if that is close value wise. (besides being the Leafs) I probably wouldn't do it personally.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
For Karlsson, the Islanders would give up both 1st round picks for the 2018 draft (Isles & Flames) plus Hickey, Pulock & Dal Colle.

I'd go even further and throw in more if needed to make a deal, throw in Isles 2nd and Flames 2nd as well if had to. Would be amazing for the Islanders. With the money Karlsson will need to be paid you let de Haan walk this summer and remove Hickey's salary in the trade.

Leddy - Karlsson
Pelech - Boychuk
Toews - Mayfield

Extras - Aho, Vande Sompel

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Generally I would agree, and if the Sens rumoured ownership change happens, I think he probably stays. With Melnyk at the helm, why would he?

I mean if they're willing to pay him what he wants why wouldn't he? He has familiarity with the city, the fans believe he is a god and he's comfortable there and they're winning. Doesn't make sense to leave unless they just wont fork out the money.

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
For Karlsson, the Islanders would give up both 1st round picks for the 2018 draft (Isles & Flames) plus Hickey, Pulock & Dal Colle.

I'd go even further and throw in more if needed to make a deal. Would be amazing for the Islanders. With the money Karlsson will need to be paid you let de Haan walk this summer and remove Hickey's salary in the trade.

Leddy - Karlsson
Pelech - Boychuk
Toews - Mayfield

Still don't think that nets you Karlsson (assuming he re-signs)

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I'd go even further and throw in more if needed to make a deal. Would be amazing for the Islanders. With the money Karlsson will need to be paid you let de Haan walk this summer and remove Hickey's salary in the trade.

Leddy - Karlsson
Pelech - Boychuk
Toews - Mayfield

That doesn't get it done for Karlsson to be honest with you unless he flat out says he's not re-signing with OTT under any circumstances and no one else ponies up for a top 5 player in the game which is very very unlikely. Not saying that's a bad package at all though it just would have to start with a Barzal type of player and then have the adds like that (just saying Barzal for your familiarity to the player, essentially a young roster impact player).

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC

I'd go even further and throw in more if needed to make a deal, throw in Isles 2nd and Flames 2nd as well if had to. Would be amazing for the Islanders. With the money Karlsson will need to be paid you let de Haan walk this summer and remove Hickey's salary in the trade.

Leddy - Karlsson
Pelech - Boychuk
Toews - Mayfield

2 2nd/3rd pairing Ds + a struggling former 5th overall won't net you Karlsson. If anything it needs to start with Barzal

Reactions: Troy

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
That doesn't get it done for Karlsson to be honest with you unless he flat out says he's not re-signing with OTT under any circumstances and no one else ponies up for a top 5 player in the game which is very very unlikely. Not saying that's a bad package at all though it just would have to start with a Barzal type of player and then have the adds like that (just saying Barzal for your familiarity to the player, essentially a young roster impact player).

No I completely understand. Karlsson is the best defender in the entire league in my opinion and the only reason he gets traded is if he wants to leave.

I was just trying to picture what sort of a package the Islanders could put together. With their two 1st and two 2nd round picks in the 2018 draft they have some ammunition picks wise but not sure the Islanders have the players it would take to make a deal happen. Could send Boychuk in the deal instead.

There is no chance that Barzal is traded, even for someone at the very top of the game like Karlsson. So I don't know really, just wanted to add something to the conversation.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Him and Drew still need to go to lunch :sarcasm:

I feel like EK isn't going to gouge Ottawa because that's not his personality type but he'd better be getting a blank check from the owners.

15k bitcoin

If he waits till tomorrow though that'll be 20k bitcoin

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Its impossible to get fair value for him, but if he has to be traded, I think a top-2/3 D-man, your team's top 2 prospects/young NHLers and a few 1sts might get the job done.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Leddy - Karlsson
Pelech - Boychuk
Toews - Mayfield

That's probably not close. I think something around Barzal++++ would be the only basis.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
A little bit more than what Pronger got when he was traded to Anh. That was two 1st, a top 6 forward Lupul and a defense prospect as well.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
Mcdonald (our best D per our franchise) + Manning (very solid veteran D plays good everynight per Hak and Hek) + Lehterä and Filppula (2 high skilled Centers per our franchise) + Weise (solid player and force to recon on powerplay PER OUR FRANCHISE) + 2x 1st 2018 (PHI&STL)

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
hard to say. not very many teams have the assets to acquire someone like Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad