Confirmed with Link: Erik Karlsson wins 2015 Norris Trophy

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
Very well deserved win.

You guys have a very special player and to think he already have 2 Norris Trophies on his resume at just 25 years is amazing. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Karlsson is Bobby Orr 2.0. He's gonna win a hatful of Norris trophies. Congrats!

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
You just know that somewhere, PK is sitting there thinking "I lost to a guy sporting a man-bun. A man-bun!" :laugh:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
it was funner the first time Karlsson won the norris, now a lot of people actually accepted the fact he is good. A lot less tears to enjoy.

It's funner not to have to debate and try to reason with fools. It's like that scene in City Slickers....the cows can learn how to program a VCR before many fans learn to appreciate what Erik brings to the game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Scary thought: he can play even better than this.

Definitely.

As far as I'm concerned, he still hasn't gotten close to those handful of games in the lockout year in terms of overall domination in a game......yet.

The best is still to come.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think a big reason for those dominant games in the lockout year was the crazy amount of confidence a young player like him had after winning a Norris.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I would've had Doughty on my ballot but this guy's making it seem completely unacceptable that he wasn't on those 20 ballots. It's really not. Karlsson, Subban, Weber, Josi, Giordano, Letang and Keith were all reasonable players to put on a ballot ahead of him. Unlike Doughty, they all made the playoffs; it's not crazy to think some voters have that as a characteristic they need from the players they vote for.

I dont know where they're getting these figures but JR said today that 37 voters left Doughty off their ballot so maybe 20 who voted for Karlsson first left Doughty off and and another 17 left him off too?

I don't know, but if he won he would have been the first ever to win the Norris in a year when his team didn't make the playoffs.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
He won the Norris despite being mediocre in the first 25% of the season. If he can routinely play like the last 2/3-3/4 of the season, I feel bad for all the other candidates.

Let's be real here though. What clinched it for him was his amazing finish to the season and how him, Stone and Hammond willed the team into the playoffs. The media took notice and that's why all three were nominated for awards. Karlsson won because the media finally recognizes that he's our team MVP and the offense flows through him. This Norris is a recognition of his worth to Ottawa.

WhiteLight*

Let's be real here though. What clinched it for him was his amazing finish to the season and how him, Stone and Hammond willed the team into the playoffs. The media took notice and that's why all three were nominated for awards. Karlsson won because the media finally recognizes that he's our team MVP and the offense flows through him. This Norris is a recognition of his worth to Ottawa.

I think it's just people recognizing that to do what he does without being insulated like the others is what sets him apart.

Price and Markov play a huge role in Subban's success. Huge.

Doughty is insulated by that Cup winning roster (Kopitar, Carter, Quick) and coach.

Keith - well it's obvious.

Karlsson is essentially alone. Stone and Turris are great but not great like the other supporting casts, not even close. Karlsson plays both the biggest offensive and biggest defensive role for his team, and he kills it despite quite an average supporting cast. Nobody else can do what he does - nobody has as high an impact as he does.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think a big reason for those dominant games in the lockout year was the crazy amount of confidence a young player like him had after winning a Norris.

I think a lot of credit had to go to playing in a lesser league for half a season and scoring some sort of ridiculous 13 points in his last 7 once the NHL was announced to be resuming. A lot of players were hardly even playing hockey.

He may get to that level again but I don't really expect it to ever be sustainable. I doubt we've seen the best from him in terms of an overall season but that post-lockout level of play is something I'm not sure we'll see duplicated for more than a flash.

WhiteLight*

This is almost as satisfying as Gryffindor winning the House Cup. Almost.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think it's just people recognizing that to do what he does without being insulated like the others is what sets him apart.

Doughty is insulated by that Cup winning roster (Kopitar, Carter, Quick) and coach.

Karlsson is essentially alone. Stone and Turris are great but not great like the other supporting casts, not even close. Karlsson plays both the biggest offensive and biggest defensive role for his team, and he kills it despite quite an average supporting cast. Nobody else can do what he does - nobody has as high an impact as he does.

Karlsson is a back pack on skates.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post. I will say though, going forward, that he is going to have a pretty good supporting cast. Stone was as good as ANY player in the league over the last 35-40 games of the season. And I don't really see that changing next year.

WhiteLight*

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post. I will say though, going forward, that he is going to have a pretty good supporting cast. Stone was as good as ANY player in the league over the last 35-40 games of the season. And I don't really see that changing next year.

He's not Toews, not Kane, not Kopitar, not even Pacioretty... not yet. Not over the course of a whole season.

But I agree that Stone can be that. Hopefully the Sens take the next step forward because of it.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
not enough credit being given to him for making first team all star. That stuff helps when he is trying to get into the hall.

so far

2 Norris
2 First Team All Stars
1 Olympic D-Man MVp
Olympic Silver Medal
Has had more points than any other defensemen in 3 of 6 nhl seasons

Oh yeah he is 25 years old.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
He's not Toews, not Kane, not Kopitar, not even Pacioretty... not yet. Not over the course of a whole season.

But I agree that Stone can be that. Hopefully the Sens take the next step forward because of it.
Down the stretch, when it really counted, he was as good as any of them. Better, come to think of it.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
All hail King Karl!!!

Conspiracy theory!

Bruce Arthur ‏@bruce_arthur · 3h3 hours ago
Congratulations to the 20 Erik Karlsson voters who left Drew Doughty completely off their ballot

This ****ing guy.

One of the responses was that Karlsson was left off 11 ballots. I guess Bruce didn't think to count those ones.

Pandering to Torontonians. That is all.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
His first 30ish games were horrible. The fact that he STILL was the best defenceman in the NHL, is a testiment to how incredible he played during the second half of the season.

Ttracer*

Pk is a useless irritant that gets his players hurt. Any idiot can crank a slapper from the point on the pp.

Guy got shutdown vs Tampa, whereas karlsson is always the best player on the ice n everyone knows it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad