Confirmed with Link: Erik Karlsson wins 2015 Norris Trophy

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yo everyone watch Erik's speech again after he won the Norris.

There's this exact moment where the camera points to Murray and you can see in his eye the look that says "I've got to make a good team for this guy".

1:06 loooooooool

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
inside, Murray was probably thinking: i drafted that guy

61129148.jpg

BigBush*

Yo everyone watch Erik's speech again after he won the Norris.

There's this exact moment where the camera points to Murray and you can see in his eye the look that says "I've got to make a good team for this guy".

1:06 loooooooool

I also find everything Mark Stone does hilarious. He didn't even do anything in the video, just gave Karlsson a handshake, and I found myself laughing

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I also find everything Mark Stone does hilarious. He didn't even do anything in the video, just gave Karlsson a handshake, and I found myself laughing

I think it might be because his natural look looks like he's just about to burst out laughing

BigBush*

I think it might be because his natural look looks like he's just about to burst out laughing

Ya, if he didn't make it in the NHL I could see him having a career as a clown. ****ing love the guy

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I think a lot of credit had to go to playing in a lesser league for half a season and scoring some sort of ridiculous 13 points in his last 7 once the NHL was announced to be resuming. A lot of players were hardly even playing hockey.

He may get to that level again but I don't really expect it to ever be sustainable. I doubt we've seen the best from him in terms of an overall season but that post-lockout level of play is something I'm not sure we'll see duplicated for more than a flash.

I disagree. Did you watch how he skated, played, moved? How he played has nothing to do with rusty environment. He was taught good defense by coach in Jokerit and he built his game from that, plus the confidence of course.

No matter if it is an unpleasant thought, but truth is that Cooke has made for Erik to never skate like that again. With the perfect skating he could do those magic moves. Now he is just stellar....before he was superstellar.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tbh guys watching Erik before I thought he'd be at least another 2 years before he won a Norris and he won it this year.

I think Karlsson can get back to that level again.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
His first 30ish games were horrible. The fact that he STILL was the best defenceman in the NHL, is a testiment to how incredible he played during the second half of the season.

You also have to remember that the votings took place during the perfect time for Karlsson to win it. Not saying he didn't deserve it. I'm hoping for a better start next season and I truly think he could score 80+ points if most of the forwards have good years and the PP works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9GNA31ToC0&list=PLENYF9rarG_qSjlxcCyocapL6ZFwIEdp_&index=1

BigBush*

Tbh guys watching Erik before I thought he'd be at least another 2 years before he won a Norris and he won it this year.

I think Karlsson can get back to that level again.

What level? Karlsson this playoffs was the best hockey hes played

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Did you not watch pre-Cooke Karlsson?

The guy was playing at a level that would he made him one of the best defenseman in NHL history at that time.

He doesn't skate nearly as well as he did at that time anymore.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

The guy was playing at a level that would he made him one of the best defenseman in NHL history at that time.

Agreed, pre-Cooke EK was unreal. He is still tangentially approaching that level. Not that he can't exceed it. I'm hoping that a good summer, and the extra year of healing (apparently the damaged nerves do slowly regenerate) will have him back on track. I still weep for those lost seasons, though. Ok, enough crying over spilled milk.

EK is only getting better!

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

I'd say he's pretty close to that level.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
He's that level of player right, but he used to be able to do it with less effort then because of higher speed, and possibly endurance (karlsson mentioned a year ago or so that endurance dropped).

BigBush*

I really hate when Sens fans bring up Pre-Cooke Karlsson like he was way better. Karlsson is back to that form. Watch the games during Ottawas run, or his games in the playoffs. He was playing amazing, obviously, as it won him a Norris.

Karlsson dominated in 2013 for 2 reasons: half the players hadnt played a hockey game in 6 months, and Karlsson was in good shape after dominating in Europe. Ottawa only played Eastern teams, who even more so then now, were far weaker then the West. Only 5 of those games Karlsson played in 2013 were against playoff teams...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Yea definitely is more well-rounded but not as fluid and commanding as prior.

Pre-Cooke was modern Orr/Bourque

Just disgusting.

I agree with the guy who said he still does it but takes more effort and thus it's not consistent over full game but I believe he can get back to that level.

I'll be honest bros, I thought Karlsson would never be good enough to be best defender in the game again after watching for 20 games of regular season THIS YEAR yet he ended up winning Norris with absolutely jawdropping plays and stats.

I will never doubt Erik again, with a better team and full rest in off-season and training, next year I expect him to be close to pre-cooke and argue for Hart.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't see it

I doubt he'll ever get there

Some posters were saying Ceci will end up being better than post-injury Karlsson 20 games into this season and his weak start.

Lol, never underestimate Karlsson. I think even if he doesn't get back to that level through his skating he'll cope and improve it via something else like physical play or precision defense.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Players were not that bad during lockout season. Erik dominated even when all teams and players were back in synch.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I really hate when Sens fans bring up Pre-Cooke Karlsson like he was way better. Karlsson is back to that form. Watch the games during Ottawas run, or his games in the playoffs. He was playing amazing, obviously, as it won him a Norris.

Karlsson dominated in 2013 for 2 reasons: half the players hadnt played a hockey game in 6 months, and Karlsson was in good shape after dominating in Europe. Ottawa only played Eastern teams, who even more so then now, were far weaker then the West. Only 5 of those games Karlsson played in 2013 were against playoff teams...

People bring it up... Because it is big freaking deal. Achilles injury is huge. Karlsson was better physically before the injury. He is still great.. And his experience and hockey sense makes him continue to get better and better...but still he lost some speed and mobility he will never get back. He can't skate like Orr or Coffey now. He is not quite as good.

It is like Selanne... He had his achilles injury after his 76 goal rookie year. He was never the same. Still was a HHoFer. Still was a deadly peak performer in the Kariya days... Still played almost 2 decades after the injury... But was never quite the same explosive skater he was before the achilles.

So yeah... It is not a cop out or an excuse to mention the injury. It will always have broken Karlsson. He will never be 100% of what he used to be again... Physically.

I guess you could argue he could be better in the long run because he learned to play smarter and not rely so much on his speed. I don't buy that at all. Karlsson always gets smarter and better and would always push himself.

Still it doesn't matter. He is still the best defenceman in the world, and he still always improves every season as he learns and is smarter and adapts to his injury as well.

I have little doubt 27, 30 and 32 year old Karlsson will always be an improvement on the earlier version. That's how HHOF defencemen roll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad