Tribute Erik Karlsson Was A Class Act

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He wasn’t the “classiest” person off the ice. Great player but he really was your typical asshole jock. His ego was real, not just confidence. Probably not the best choice for Captain. I’m sure he has come a long way since then.

Having said that, great player who was worth the price of admission, and sold his health to carry us to game 7 of the conference final.

I don’t need the stars on my team to be good people but don’t confuse great player with classy person.
Interesting. It's only from the outside looking in, but I always liked his persona as seeming like a nice guy and he never came off as that typical "jock" douche to me like someone like say a Mackinnon or Matthews do.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
An elite talent while he was a Sen. Always remember him as a bit cocky and brimming with confidence for a really young kid at the time. Glad though that he knew the way to San Jose!

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Interesting. It's only from the outside looking in, but I always liked his persona as seeming like a nice guy and he never came off as that typical "jock" douche to me like someone like say a Mackinnon or Matthews do.
He was banging my buddy’s niece within months of getting married (to Theresa not Melinda). Like I said early 20s and basically a rock star, I’m not judging, I’m sure he’s a different person now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He was banging my buddy’s niece within months of getting married (to Theresa not Melinda). Like I said early 20s and basically a rock star, I’m not judging, I’m sure he’s a different person now.
Huh. I assumed that behavior was just commonplace and something almost all of them do. Seems to be pretty common for sports stars and celebrities to not be faithful to their partners.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Only Sens jersey I have with a name on it is Karlsson. The most talented player to rock a Sens jersey and the only time we have a top 3 player in the league was when he played for us. Thanks for the memories EK.

I hope after his time with the Sharks, he comes to sign a one year league minimum with us and has another run at the cup after we have a few under Brady

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s hard to imagine EK fitting into this team make up, especially as role player, but stranger things have happened.

He was great while he was here, but I doubt there is any real desire to bring him back, or even for him to come back and play 10th fiddle.

I could see him try and chase a cup if he still has the legs when his deal is up, as I don’t see SJ making much noise for the next while.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I met Karlsson in Toronto asked him if I can have a pic, he politely told me sorry I'm busy right now. I said oh no problem, have a great day and good luck in the season. He literally told me how he appreciates me for understanding his boundaries and it's something more people should have. So yeah I personally think that's a super kind gesture from him. Ekblad and Matt Hackett out right told me to f*** off lmao.

Reactions: bicboi64

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think you can debate that he is the most talented player ever to pull on a Sens uniform. He was to us what Pavel Bure was in Vancouver - that electric presence who could do things on the ice that mere mortals could not, and with apologies to Alfie our first true superstar. (Again, you could probably draw an analogy here between Trevor Linden in Vancouver and Alfie here, although Alfie was a better offensive player than Linden.) Also, like Bure, he left early and under unhappy circumstances, which is too bad, but the memories he left are amazing. If I had to pick one, it is the third period goal against Boston in the playoffs, where he did laps of the offensive zone before threading the pass to Brass. Unreal...

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I don't think you can debate that he is the most talented player ever to pull on a Sens uniform. He was to us what Pavel Bure was in Vancouver - that electric presence who could do things on the ice that mere mortals could not, and with apologies to Alfie our first true superstar. (Again, you could probably draw an analogy here between Trevor Linden in Vancouver and Alfie here, although Alfie was a better offensive player than Linden.) Also, like Bure, he left early and under unhappy circumstances, which is too bad, but the memories he left are amazing. If I had to pick one, it is the third period goal against Boston in the playoffs, where he did laps of the offensive zone before threading the pass to Brass. Unreal...
Also cut down in his prime with injuries like Bure.

As far as off ice stuff goes, everyone I know who has had interactions with him either raves about how nice he was or rages about what a cocky douchebag he was to them. There never seems to be any middle ground with EK.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

As far as off ice stuff goes, everyone I know who has had interactions with him either raves about how nice he was or rages about what a cocky douchebag he was to them. There never seems to be any middle ground with EK.
How do I put this politely - I think that fans sometimes have expectations for their interactions with players that might not be terribly realistic. ;-) There are different personalities on every team, and not every guy is Brady Tkachuk. By North American standards, some Swedes can come off as a bit aloof but that's just how they are wired - they aren't overly effusive, especially with strangers. I expect these guys to be good to kids who approach them, but frankly I don't think that they owe much to adults looking for selfies and autographs at a restaurant...

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Every time someone says "cut down in his prime" I always picture this

acb48509-2f2e-4037-b4af-6f223e1c0adf_text.gif

Definitely the most talented player we've ever had and maybe will have in our lifetimes.

I don't put much stock into one off interactions with EK from like a decade ago. But right now, as far as hockey is concerned, he seems like someone who can still bring it at a pretty high level when the motivation is there (19 points in 24 games last year until the Olympics were called off) but may pack it in when there's nothing on the line. Just my uneducated guess.

Reactions: Silencio

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He obviously isn't close to prime Karlsson, but if he can curb his decline and manage to still be a serviceable bottom 4 dman in a few years, it wouldn't surprise me if he comes back on a hometown discount, ESPECIALLY if Alfredsson joins the Hockey Ops by then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad