Speculation: Erik Karlsson to Detroit

Should we pull the trigger?

• Yes. Retool on the fly!

• No! We should be a bad team for longer period of time and draft high for multiple years.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Karlsson in Detroit is a longshot.

But things can change.
If Detroit gets Dahlin in the draft - that's going to give us some Mojo.

It's a huge if - HUGE with a capital H. U. G. and E.

But if we get Dahlin, does that make us look better to a John Tavares in the offseason?

So what if you get John Tavares.

Now you're at the deadline next year with Tavares and Dahlin.
Even if you're not a playoff team, you're a team with some mojo.

Do you trade your first in 19, Mantha, Cholo and Daley for Karlsson, and then make every effort to sign him?

Of course, every effort would require moving Nielsen and Helm.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Too much for one year of Karlsson. The only way Detroit gets him is if he signs here as a free agent.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This, No team is going to give up a lot for Karlsson, When it might only be for 1.5 years. DET isn't a playoff team any ways just wait until 2019 and maybe we can sign him for his asking price.

Waiting for guys to hit the market is probably the best way to guarantee we won't have a chance to sign him. He's going to be dealt before that summer and unless he expressly wants to test the market above all else, he'll be signed by whoever deals for him.

I get people arguing the price is too high for what he'd bring and we're better off just hoarding our assets. I think there's a legitimate concern there. If Holland/wings really want the guy, though, they can't wait for him to hit the market. It's not going to happen.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If Ottawa made that trade their fans would likely pool their money together and hire a hitman to murder Melnyk...

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Waiting for guys to hit the market is probably the best way to guarantee we won't have a chance to sign him. He's going to be dealt before that summer and unless he expressly wants to test the market above all else, he'll be signed by whoever deals for him.

I get people arguing the price is too high for what he'd bring and we're better off just hoarding our assets. I think there's a legitimate concern there. If Holland/wings really want the guy, though, they can't wait for him to hit the market. It's not going to happen.

It seems to me that if we trade the assets required to get Karlsson it wouldn’t matter that we had Karlsson.

The only play that makes sense is to continue to acquire young talent and hope one of those big 3 dmen are available next summer.

Then we’re in good shape going forward.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It seems to me that if we trade the assets required to get Karlsson it wouldn’t matter that we had Karlsson.

The only play that makes sense is to continue to acquire young talent and hope one of those big 3 dmen are available next summer.

Then we’re in good shape going forward.

I want to see what it will take to actually deal for the guy. I've seen Pronger dealt, Bourque, Blake, Chelios...the packages aren't ever really small but they've never been gut the organization big. If Karlsson goes for something scary big, it's because some GM did something stupid. At which point I'd agree, I don't want to see Holland do that.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
If Ottawa made that trade their fans would likely pool their money together and hire a hitman to murder Melnyk...
I think they're actually doing that already. Well, they're crowdfunding a billboard that says #melnykout. (not the murder thing)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad