Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
You also forgot:

Giordano-Brodie
Hedman-Stralman

Gio seems to have only become relevant near top tier of defenseman when Brodie broke out. Hedman too with Stralman.

Actually any defender in top 5 has excellent partner.... except Karlsson. Well, now he does but the guy won the Norris with Kuba.

*****InG KUBA. I don't remember, in recent memory, anyone to win the Norris with a weaker partner than Karlsson. Or playing 50% of season with Phillips/Cowen/Boro. Can anyone name me one? Im curious.

Watch when OEL gets a great partner he'll be top 3-5 D conversation.

The only defender who doesn't need a top d partner with him to be the best or near the best has been Karlsson.

Long live the King.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Players that are better than Karlsson:
Crosby
Ovi
Malkin
Stamkos

PLayers that are at about the same level as Karlsson
Keith
Doughty
Tavares
Giroux
Subban
Weber

Karlsson is better than everyone not listed

This look good to everyone?

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Hasn't Doughtys main partner been Muzzin over the last several years?

This year they got away from that pairing and they didn't do so well.

Honestly I don't see enough of Muzzin to make a real judgement but I didn't think he was considered to be a top tier defenseman. It's not like Methot is incapable of playing at a high level though, he's a great player but a clear downgrade (especially offensively) compared to the players that I listed before.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Players that are better than Karlsson:
Crosby
Ovi
Malkin
Stamkos

PLayers that are at about the same level as Karlsson
Keith
Doughty
Tavares
Giroux
Subban
Weber

Karlsson is better than everyone not listed

This look good to everyone?

While i generally agree with what you said, absolutely do not post this anywhere on the main boards. If you do, be sure to put on a flame suit before posting it.

RedSeven*

He'll be better than Lidstrom. Already is at this point in comparison to wear Lidstrom was at the same point in their careers.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
While i generally agree with what you said, absolutely do not post this anywhere on the main boards. If you do, be sure to put on a flame suit before posting it.

? Karlsson on main boards was just voted best 25 and under player.

Ahead of:

Stamkos
Tavares
Doughty
Giroux
Subban

Who else is better than those players? Crosby/Malkin so that poster on point.

In fact, I'd say only Crosby really better than Karlsson. I wouldn't trade Erik for Malkin or Ovechkin.

Karlsson scored 38 points in last 40 games +23, on a good team, can you imagine him on a contender? A guy playing 25+ minutes? And while he's 100% used to his new leg feeling? For me, his importance to the game, he's on par with Crosby.

Every game we see statistics like:

Senators shots for with Karlsson on ice: 25
Senators shots against with Karlsson on ice: 10

Shots for without: 10
Shots against without: 25

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's funny, when you look around at most of the other top defenseman in the league they almost all play with another guy who could be a #1D. Doughty is probably one of the few that doesn't have a better partner than Karlsson.

Subban - Markov
Keith - Seabrook
Weber - Josi
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Helps PK get the points ,but hurts his defensive game ,Doughty i find gets the least support however ,Muzzin may be ok .But he really doesnt seem to be as good, as the other number 2,s around the league

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You also forgot:

Giordano-Brodie
Hedman-Stralman

Gio seems to have only become relevant near top tier of defenseman when Brodie broke out. Hedman too with Stralman.

Actually any defender in top 5 has excellent partner.... except Karlsson. Well, now he does but the guy won the Norris with Kuba.

*****InG KUBA. I don't remember, in recent memory, anyone to win the Norris with a weaker partner than Karlsson. Or playing 50% of season with Phillips/Cowen/Boro. Can anyone name me one? Im curious.

Watch when OEL gets a great partner he'll be top 3-5 D conversation.

The only defender who doesn't need a top d partner with him to be the best or near the best has been Karlsson.

Long live the King.
This pairing is almost exactly ,what ours is .Just in the opposite.NY should have kept Stralman ,their defense i found wasnt as good as when he was there

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Helps PK get the points ,but hurts his defensive game ,Doughty i find gets the least support however ,Muzzin may be ok .But he really doesnt seem to be as good, as the other number 2,s around the league

I don't think Markov hurts PK defensively all that much. It obviously doesn't hurt that they have Carey Price behind them either.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Markov does seem to have lost a step but he isn't as bad as he showed in the series against the sens. He's usually pretty reliable and at the very least he's in solid position.

Having a really smart partner like Markov can't be understated.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
A full year of the Methot-Karlsson pairing is going to be outright dominant... I've just got a feeling.

They've been together for a few years now, and the way the were clicking last season leads me to believe that they very well could be the undisputed #1 pair next year.

The numbers are simply staggering when they're together.

We keep thinking that Karlsson would be better off with someone else, but I really think that we're selling Methot short here. He is fantastically suited to play with EK, and it won't suprise me at all to see him north of 30 points next year.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
A full year of the Methot-Karlsson pairing is going to be outright dominant... I've just got a feeling.

They've been together for a few years now, and the way the were clicking last season leads me to believe that they very well could be the undisputed #1 pair next year.

We keep thinking that Karlsson would be better off with someone else, but I really think that we're selling Methot short here. He is fantastically suited to play with EK, and it won't suprise me at all to see him north of 30 points next year.

A better overall team, sure. But agreed that Meth is quite a good fit for EK.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011

I don't think there's any need to go out and find Karlsson a better partner. But the discussion was mostly entered around point production and I don't think Methot helps very much in this regard, especially compared to other top pairing partners for elite scoring defensemen.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree completely about Methot and Erik.

Every time people bring up Erik Karlsson as part of the best thing in Murray's legacy here but acquiring Methot was just as crucial to get Karlsson the almost perfect partner he needs. I'd say the only way you can top Methot is just a much better version(Seabrook, Chara, Vlasic) or brilliant skating 2 way defender(Suter, Stralman but I say Meth on pair).

Considering those guys almost impossible to get, Murray did a remarkable job getting Methot.

Love love love it. What a move that was.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
And Methot wasn't really a known commodity either was he? If I look at his numbers in Columbus it doesn't seem he was ever a 1st pairing guy? Admit it was a little while ago I looked so I could be wrong...

Still - we traded Foligno who had just had his Senators "breakout" year but who was still rather a pedestrian player league wide...total win/win trade it would seem.

Stassino

Oct 15, 2007
Ottawa, On
In the playoffs this year Karlsson somehow played even better then normal. Isn't he staying in Ottawa this summer too instead of going back to sweden? I wouldn't be surprised if the team gets better so does karlsson even if they cut his minutes.

I've seen him at our golf course at least once a week since the summer got going..

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I've seen him at our golf course at least once a week since the summer got going..

Uh, judging by his Twitter and Instagram, he's been globe trotting pretty hard this summer. Really hope he's been training properly....

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Uh, judging by his Twitter and Instagram, he's been globe trotting pretty hard this summer. Really hope he's been training properly....

I sure hope so. His rival has certainly stepped up training this off season.

P.K.-Subban.jpg

Been working on his acceleration with Ben Johnson too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad