Confirmed with Link: Erik Johnson to Philadelphia for a 2024 4th round pick

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
EJ was washed for sure, but I think he played a mentor role in getting this team to play better defensively. Even if he couldn't play defense, he knows how to play defense.

A 4th rounder is great value. Flyers overpay for Sabres RHD once again.

Fare thee well Eric.
i wouldn't be surprised if he plays better in philly. I feel like EJ would respond well to Torts. That said, i have no idea if he started dropping off prior to this year or if we just broke him.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
He's got less than a million due for the remainder of the season and salary cap doesn't count in the playoffs. Not sure Philly would have offered a 3rd for 50% retention.
Not sure about Philly but maybe someone. But considering we haven’t been part of any brokering and our players salary above the league minimum are not being retained when it’s common place around the league tells me something about our operations. Cheap owner or stupid GM or both

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Not sure about Philly but maybe someone. But considering we haven’t been part of any brokering and our players salary above the league minimum are not being retained when it’s common place around the league tells me something about our operations. Cheap owner or stupid GM or both
In EA Franchise mode, sure this makes sense.

I don't think the Sabres need any more 6th or 7th rounders. There may not be enough contracts for the pipeline as it is. Many valid gripes, but not brokering deals is a minor one.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Imagine being mysteriously sick for two weeks before the trade deadline that you can't dress and then getting traded and suiting up for Philly's first game.

I wonder what kind of mysterious illness did that? A few veterans over the years were injured with the same illness. It seems to be only catchable in the Buffalo area so I think the rest of the NHL is safe.

Not sure why you keep harping on this and trying to pin it on the player? Every team shuts players down or finds reasons to if they’re close to the deadline and know they’re shipping them out.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Not sure why you keep harping on this and trying to pin it on the player? Every team shuts players down or finds reasons to if they’re close to the deadline and know they’re shipping them out.
Please don't push your delusion onto me. Shutting a player down 3 minutes into a game 2 weeks before the deadline is just pure fantasy.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
In EA Franchise mode, sure this makes sense.

I don't think the Sabres need any more 6th or 7th rounders. There may not be enough contracts for the pipeline as it is. Many valid gripes, but not brokering deals is a minor one.
I’ll eat crow if VO gets traded because I dont see how he gets traded without retaining. Nashville is rumored but perhaps thats why. Theyre one of the few teams that can fit him in their cap structure

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't think Buffalo was going to get anymore from anyone else than what they got here.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Please don't push your delusion onto me. Shutting a player down 3 minutes into a game 2 weeks before the deadline is just pure fantasy.
Wow, I had no idea. This whole time I thought he was being benched in favor of Bryson or R Johnson because they were playing better than he was and the Sabres were trying to win games.

Kinda makes me re-think Savoie, too. I didn’t realize he quit on the team 3 minutes into his first NHL game.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
So if Buffalo doesn't retain they're cheap. If Buffalo does retain is Philadelphia cheap?

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Wow, I had no idea. This whole time I thought he was being benched in favor of Bryson or R Johnson because they were playing better than he was and the Sabres were trying to win games.

Kinda makes me re-think Savoie, too. I didn’t realize he quit on the team 3 minutes into his first NHL game.
It bemuses me every time i see people not ignoring content by that member. Glad EJ is gone.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
The husk of EJ gave us some mean hits and seemed like a nice guy who tried to bring his knowledge from the AV's to the sabres youth, wanted to see one game from him with Byram but not upset that it didnt happen.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Wow, perhaps the most unexpected deal of the trade deadline day - A @zbubble sighting!!

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
They had three rookies in the lineup in their last game. They probably look at staying in the playoff hunt as useful for them. It's not so much a favor as it is just filling a hole. Risto and Drysdale (shocking) are hurt, they traded Walker.
Exactly. Emergency interim recovery move by Philly.

I've bought into the idea that EJ wanted out. But I will also speculate that Sabre management and coaching wanted him gone just as badly.

Frankly, Johnson needed to hang up his skates at the end of last season. But he still does have his Stanley Cup ring.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
i wouldn't be surprised if he plays better in philly. I feel like EJ would respond well to Torts. That said, i have no idea if he started dropping off prior to this year or if we just broke him.
He began to drop off in 20-21. Injuries took a toll. He was dedicated and hung in there in 21-22 and helped to win a Cup - after returning from extended injury.

He should have retired right after following Elway's and Manning's example but stayed on and really hurt the team's 22-23 season chances by taking up valuable cap space. (Landeskog not put on LTIR.)

The Avs finally said your loyalty is appreciated but its time to move on with life.

EJ couldn't accept that he's less than half the player he was in his prime. It's been a steady decline with a few bursts of the old EJ scoring off the rush.

Never happened in Buffalo tho...... Too long in the tooth.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
I wonder if it’s like when soccer players are writhing around on the field the trainer runs out sprinkles them with a magic elixir boom good as new. Maybe leaving the Sabres does the same?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad