Confirmed with Link: Erik Johnson selected to All Star Game

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's a pretty Pejorative Slured rule to insist on someone playing through pain and risking injury for a friggin All Star game, and then suspend them if they don't go. Pretty totalitarian move. They're going to be punishing way more players that are actually hurt, then preventing anyone that would have tried to skip out because they didn't want to go.

There's no shortage of stars and talent in the league, and I doubt Bettman would play through the kind of pain he's asking some of these players to do.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think it's a pretty Pejorative Slured rule to insist on someone playing through pain and risking injury for a friggin All Star game, and then suspend them if they don't go. Pretty totalitarian move. They're going to be punishing way more players that are actually hurt, then preventing anyone that would have tried to skip out because they didn't want to go.

There's no shortage of stars and talent in the league, and I doubt Bettman would play through the kind of pain he's asking some of these players to do.

I don't like the rule either, but in reality a lot of the blame falls on the Detroit Red Wings for that. They pretty blatantly lied about the "injuries" to those players

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I wonder how much revenue the All Star game generates for the NHL and the players themselves? It must be fairly significant for them to create a silly rule like this. One game can make or break a season in today's NHL.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
So let me get this straight. He's going to stop putting in the effort to do his job and ask the coach questions, because news on EJ's injury didn't fall in his lap allowing him to put in 0 effort. Yep, sounds like the typical reporter for the Post.

He was putting in effort to do his job?

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I think the rule is BS but oh well. If EJ is legitimately hurt which I have zero doubt that he is, then missing another day or two will be good for him! Trying to be optimistic.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think its a good rule honestly.

If you're to banged up to partake in the ASG, you shouldn't be able to play the next game following it anyway.

Its not like the All-Star game is grueling experience for the players. The Skills Competition is nothing, and the ASG is all just good fun on the ice.

I think its a fair rule for sure.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I think its a good rule honestly.

If you're to banged up to partake in the ASG, you shouldn't be able to play the next game following it anyway.

Its not like the All-Star game is grueling experience for the players. The Skills Competition is nothing, and the ASG is all just good fun on the ice.

I think its a fair rule for sure.

I tell you what, if we lose to Nashville, subsequently miss the playoffs by one point and it turns out EJ could have played from a physical standpoint I would be one pissed off hockey player if I were on the Avalanche.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Let me preface this by saying I am not questioning EJ AT ALL. I'm sure if there was any way he could have been there he would have.

But humor me this, he played the last game and let's assume is in no worse condition. He pulls out because he doesn't want to hurt the team but missing Tuesday hurts the team. Wouldn't it have worked for him to go to the ASG and just tell them he can't play much, just take a couple shifts and that's it? Then he doesn't have to be suspended on Tuesday.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Let me preface this by saying I am not questioning EJ AT ALL. I'm sure if there was any way he could have been there he would have.

But humor me this, he played the last game and let's assume is in no worse condition. He pulls out because he doesn't want to hurt the team but missing Tuesday hurts the team. Wouldn't it have worked for him to go to the ASG and just tell them he can't play much, just take a couple shifts and that's it? Then he doesn't have to be suspended on Tuesday.

Yeah. Roy and Co. knew he would miss Tuesday. Maybe he needs the rest and even though he will miss a game, he will come back close(r) to 100%. Otherwise what you suggested would have been a good move.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Perhaps he has some slight tear and resting a week will help him and Avs more down the run than playing on Tuesday. He's been playing big minutes for Avs and getting some rest might be what he need to play well down the stretch.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm surprised no one's bandied around the possibility that EJ is seriously injured. He could easily miss much longer than one game.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That makes sense, the opportunity for an extended rest is an advantage too.

I'm not considering serious injury because whatever it was he played with and has been playing with. Sure if all of a sudden he pulled out you'd wonder what happened in that game but I think it's clear it wasn't new.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
I tell you what, if we lose to Nashville, subsequently miss the playoffs by one point and it turns out EJ could have played from a physical standpoint I would be one pissed off hockey player if I were on the Avalanche.

Just to be clear, I don't blame EJ at all either, I was just using this as an example of what could happen due to this rule. At face value I think it is a pretty silly rule.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wonder how much revenue the All Star game generates for the NHL and the players themselves? It must be fairly significant for them to create a silly rule like this. One game can make or break a season in today's NHL.

Yea, I was wondering the same thing last night. Then I started wondering who actually wants to fly out to the All Star Game, and pay a crap load of money in the process anyway? To Columbus, OH of all places. I have literally no desire to watch it from a comfy chair, and I can watch it delayed and dvr out the commercials.

Maybe it's because I've seen my share of All Star games at this point in my life, and they're all the same, but I can't believe they actually make money on the thing in the first place.

Yea, but their next game after that is Friday. I think they might be thinking this is a way for EJ to take 8 days off and only miss one game.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Yea, I was wondering the same thing last night. Then I started wondering who actually wants to fly out to the All Star Game, and pay a crap load of money in the process anyway? To Columbus, OH of all places. I have literally no desire to watch it from a comfy chair, and I can watch it delayed and dvr out the commercials.

Maybe it's because I've seen my share of All Star games at this point in my life, and they're all the same, but I can't believe they actually make money on the thing in the first place.

I was more thinking that they probably think it is a good way to showcase the game and generate interest amongst the fans and grow the sport which in turn would create more revenue in the long run or something like that. I can't think they make much money off of it in terms of the actual game itself.

I'm pretty sure I won't be watching it either, TBH.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I was more thinking that they probably think it is a good way to showcase the game and generate interest amongst the fans and grow the sport which in turn would create more revenue in the long run or something like that. I can't think they make much money off of it in terms of the actual game itself.

I'm pretty sure I won't be watching it either, TBH.

Yea I think that's a big part of it. I think it's a way to draw in new fans, that's why they're obsessed with players missing out. Except they've got tons of marketable names that aren't going, and they're punishing guys like EJ who get no respect anyway.

The whole thing is just silly. They need a new concept for a mid season marketing ploy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who the hell designed this hat? A 3rd grader?

a179bfb0-a3e0-11e4-a24a-f946141a9a1d_image-2.jpeg

FoppaForsberg*

This event is more so for children, although that's how I always imagined it. It's like a fair.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Should have sent mack or matty

They just haven't had good enough seasons statistically to warrant going though. Varly is the only other guy that would have made sense, and it was probably too late to add another goalie.

Plus the NHL probably does t want to go out of their way to help out a team that withheld a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad