Value of: Erik Gustafsson

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
The Hawks are loaded with D prospects, Gustafsson has 1 year at 1.2M left before UFA, and just came off of a 60 point season. While the Hawks would like to keep him around, DeBrincat and Strome are due raises at the same time and the Hawks expect Boqvist to(eventually) give the same type of offensive production.
Add in the strong possibility of the Hawks taking Bowen Byram #3 overall, and of all the Hawks assets, Gustafsson is the most expendable. Would would you offer for him?

In an ideal world, The Hawks would like a pick in the 12-22 range in return, or a later 1st (24-30)plus a good forward prospect with a RHS, or a youngish established RHS winger with top 6 upside.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The Hawks are loaded with D prospects, Gustafsson has 1 year at 1.2M left before UFA, and just came off of a 60 point season. While the Hawks would like to keep him around, DeBrincat and Strome are due raises at the same time and the Hawks expect Boqvist to(eventually) give the same type of offensive production.
Add in the strong possibility of the Hawks taking Bowen Byram #3 overall, and of all the Hawks assets, Gustafsson is the most expendable. Would would you offer for him?

In an ideal world, The Hawks would like a pick in the 12-22 range in return, or a later 1st (24-30)plus a good forward prospect with a RHS.
i still think that can happen .....

Reactions: Taylorst

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
Id be happy either way. If Stan thinks he can get a good deal back for Gus, Id be okay with moving him. But if Gus is willing to sign an extension at a decent cap, Id also be okay with that as well. If we do trade him this offseason, we better pray Boqvist is ready to run the powerplay, because no one else currently on the big league squad is going to be able to run a PP like Gus.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Id be happy either way. If Stan thinks he can get a good deal back for Gus, Id be okay with moving him. But if Gus is willing to sign an extension at a decent cap, Id also be okay with that as well. If we do trade him this offseason, we better pray Boqvist is ready to run the powerplay, because no one else currently on the big league squad is going to be able to run a PP like Gus.

The one thing we know for sure is Chicago's defense was awful , sure they played better in January on, but I would expect changes . Maybe either Keith or Seabrook are finally convinced to waive the NMC if not Gus and murphy are the next likely players .

It wouldn't surprise me if Seabrook or Keith get moved to florida.

Reactions: JLarucci23

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
The one thing we know for sure is Chicago's defense was awful , sure they played better in January on, but I would expect changes . Maybe either Keith or Seabrook are finally convinced to waive the NMC if not Gus and murphy are the next likely players .

I’d be more than willing to ship 2 and 7 to Florida. My guess neither will get moved tho. It’s going to be another meh year on the backend next year I guess. Murphy is a fine low end second pairing in my opinion. Hopefully Joker is ready to make the jump and pushes Dahlstrom down to a 7th D. Also got hope Forsling makes another step forward.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Why move Keith? He's a top pairing defenseman.

Or are you gonna just keep ignoring that you got hounded by facts about him on HF Hawks and just gonna keep pretending he's a liability that needs to be traded?

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Why move Keith? He's a top pairing defenseman.

Or are you gonna just keep ignoring that you got hounded by facts about him on HF Hawks and just gonna keep pretending he's a liability that needs to be traded?

Keith is not a top defenseman anymore. His stats and decline in play are indicators .

I'm a hawks fan and I've watched every game this year and my own 2 eyes have seen his decline in play, his speed has diminished.

According to those fans who still believe the earth is flat when it's proven that it round.

If we are going to go down the road of stats, Gus is ranked 6th overall , Keith is ranked 30th, that means Gus is a top 4 defenseman ?

The only reason Keith is a top pairing is because Chicago has nobody else .

Keith's best days are behind him , would he still be valuable yes but in a limited role as a 4th defenseman, that's what I said all along .

Guys keep saying he is a elite top 1 or 2 and that's false.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I’d be more than willing to ship 2 and 7 to Florida. My guess neither will get moved tho. It’s going to be another meh year on the backend next year I guess. Murphy is a fine low end second pairing in my opinion. Hopefully Joker is ready to make the jump and pushes Dahlstrom down to a 7th D. Also got hope Forsling makes another step forward.

I'd be surprised if forsling is brought back.
The hawks gave up so many high dangerous shots, ran around most nights in their own end, passing at times was brutal, no transition game from the backend.

The problem for joker or any other young prospect to come up and play is you have 4 spots as of right now locked in 2 of those spots are taken for the next 5 and 6 years, the other spot is locked in for 3 more years.

Also joker would be best suited with a younger , experienced defenseman .

Reactions: LDF

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Is Gustafsson legit or a one hit wonder? I don't pretend to know myself, but if the Habs have scouted him and believe this season was legit and something he can replicate, than I'd absolutely be okay to trade the 15 overall as long as an extension was agreed to and ready to be signed July 1.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Is Gustafsson legit or a one hit wonder? I don't pretend to know myself, but if the Habs have scouted him and believe this season was legit and something he can replicate, than I'd absolutely be okay to trade the 15 overall as long as an extension was agreed to and ready to be signed July 1.

Gus has the offensive skills , that I think people will clearly give him kudos for. His defensive side at times is shakey he makes some mental mistakes . I guess the biggest question is his upside potential.

If I'm Stan, Gustasson is definitely on my radar to move this summer and try and either get a high draft pick plus a top prospect , or a high skilled RFA forward , like a nap or even maybe Nylander.

It's hard to believe Stan would want to have so much salary invested in his defense that is aging and mediocre, by keeping Gus, when he has a stock pile of high prospects in the pipeline.

Boqvist would easily replace Gus offensively and is younger and his salary wouldn't hurt the team.

It really boils down to finding a way to get rid of Keith and Seabrook and take the combined salary and bring in a young top defenseman and have a long term stable backend with salary used elsewhere.

Reactions: JLarucci23

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Keith is not a top defenseman anymore. His stats and decline in play are indicators .

I'm a hawks fan and I've watched every game this year and my own 2 eyes have seen his decline in play, his speed has diminished.

According to those fans who still believe the earth is flat when it's proven that it round.

If we are going to go down the road of stats, Gus is ranked 6th overall , Keith is ranked 30th, that means Gus is a top 4 defenseman ?

The only reason Keith is a top pairing is because Chicago has nobody else .

Keith's best days are behind him , would he still be valuable yes but in a limited role as a 4th defenseman, that's what I said all along .

Guys keep saying he is a elite top 1 or 2 and that's false.
No one is saying he's an elite top pairing defenseman anymore.

We're saying he's a top pair guy. As in one of the 62 best defenders in the league. And the stats back that up.

But you didn't want to hear it, so you stormed out of that conversation like a child who didn't get his way.

The earth is round. Everybody who isn't a complete moron knows that. We have facts to prove as much. Just like we have facts to prove Keith is still a top pair guy. You're the one who keeps denouncing facts and statistics, and instead is going with what you want to believe to be the case.

And good job watching every game this season for the Hawks. I've watched all but 2 Hawks games in the last 3 years.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
No one is saying he's an elite top pairing defenseman anymore.

We're saying he's a top pair guy. As in one of the 62 best defenders in the league. And the stats back that up.

But you didn't want to hear it, so you stormed out of that conversation like a child who didn't get his way.

The earth is round. Everybody who isn't a complete moron knows that. We have facts to prove as much. Just like we have facts to prove Keith is still a top pair guy. You're the one who keeps denouncing facts and statistics, and instead is going with what you want to believe to be the case.

And good job watching every game this season for the Hawks. I've watched all but 2 Hawks games in the last 3 years.

Let me be clear I didn't storm out. Everyone arguing clearly said Keith is a elite top 1 or 2 defenseman.

Keith ranks 30th , his age , speed and level of play has been on the decline since Chicago's last cup run. Sure he had a better year this year , but it's easy to improve your stats from garbage to average.

Also if you want to use your analysis then Gustafson whom is ranked 6th is a elite defenseman?

I think we both agree that's not true, just like Keith he still holds value playing as a 4th defenseman with a solid partner , limited ice time.

Keith made a lot of mistakes this year .

So can we all just say that if Stan has a chance to move Keith it would be for the benefit and future of this team.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
It sounds like the AVS have some interest in Kadri,

Could Stan flip Anismov and Gus July 1st for Barrie ?
And would Chicago fans take that deal ?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Let me be clear I didn't storm out. Everyone arguing clearly said Keith is a elite top 1 or 2 defenseman.

Keith ranks 30th , his age , speed and level of play has been on the decline since Chicago's last cup run. Sure he had a better year this year , but it's easy to improve your stats from garbage to average.

Also if you want to use your analysis then Gustafson whom is ranked 6th is a elite defenseman?

I think we both agree that's not true, just like Keith he still holds value playing as a 4th defenseman with a solid partner , limited ice time.

Keith made a lot of mistakes this year .

So can we all just say that if Stan has a chance to move Keith it would be for the benefit and future of this team.
I'm not only considering points when I say stats, so you comparing Keith to Gus does not work. Also, how is 30th in points average? Did you fail 3rd grade math class?

And no one said he's elite. You're making stuff up to try to win an argument you lost days ago.

Instead of taking the L like a champ, you run away and then talk about how we need to trade Keith on the main boards.

Also, in 2015, Keith won the Conn Smythe for best player in the playoffs. He's also had multiple Norris wins around that time. Him declining from being the best defender in the league doesn't make him bad now.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I'm not only considering points when I say stats, so you comparing Keith to Gus does not work. Also, how is 30th in points average? Did you fail 3rd grade math class?

And no one said he's elite. You're making stuff up to try to win an argument you lost days ago.

Instead of taking the L like a champ, you run away and then talk about how we need to trade Keith on the main boards.

Also, in 2015, Keith won the Conn Smythe for best player in the playoffs. He's also had multiple Norris wins around that time. Him declining from being the best defender in the league doesn't make him bad now.

Points , plus minus are exactly how a player is determined .

I'm not trying to make myself look one way or another I'm just pointing out , that those exact comments referring to Keith as a elite number 1 or 2 defenseman was said and hammered home by quite a few people the other day.

We all have opinions , but it's clear that Keith since winning the cup has started to decline , not sure what's so hard to admit.

Keith would be a valuable 4th defenseman but he has played so many games now , his age and speed are huge factors considering his size.

The elephant in the room is his 5 years left on his contract.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Points , plus minus are exactly how a player is determined .

I'm not trying to make myself look one way or another I'm just pointing out , that those exact comments referring to Keith as a elite number 1 or 2 defenseman was said and hammered home by quite a few people the other day.

We all have opinions , but it's clear that Keith since winning the cup has started to decline , not sure what's so hard to admit.

Keith would be a valuable 4th defenseman but he has played so many games now , his age and speed are huge factors considering his size.

The elephant in the room is his 5 years left on his contract.
Who the hell was saying he's an elite #2?!? An elite #2 is a #1, so why would anyone call him an "elite #2" over just saying he's a #1? And I have my doubts people called him an elite #1 this season during that discussion from the other day.

And no shit he's in decline. That doesn't mean he's not a top pairing guy still. It's like saying Hossa, while he was with the Hawks, wasn't a top line winger because he wasn't in his prime (mid-to-late twenties). Players get worse with age, doesn't make them turn to crap when they are no longer at their peak. And I'm facepalming myself having to explain that to a poster here. It's literally common sense.

I do agree that he has a handful of years left on his contract and it's a question mark of whether he'll be remotely worth his yearly cap hit in those later years. And if you want to try trading him because of that, fine. But don't make up bullshit about him not being a good player anymore.

Reactions: swerdnase

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Who the hell was saying he's an elite #2?!? An elite #2 is a #1, so why would anyone call him an "elite #2" over just saying he's a #1? And I have my doubts people called him an elite #1 this season during that discussion from the other day.

And no **** he's in decline. That doesn't mean he's not a top pairing guy still. It's like saying Hossa, while he was with the Hawks, wasn't a top line winger because he wasn't in his prime (mid-to-late twenties). Players get worse with age, doesn't make them turn to crap when they are no longer at their peak. And I'm facepalming myself having to explain that to a poster here. It's literally common sense.

I do agree that he has a handful of years left on his contract and it's a question mark of whether he'll be remotely worth his yearly cap hit in those later years. And if you want to try trading him because of that, fine. But don't make up bull**** about him not being a good player anymore.

I'm glad to see your comments are being realistic.

Yes it was said the other day by multiple users that Keith is a elite 1 or 2 defenseman.

I never said Keith doesn't bring value , as you stated correctly he is no longer the player he once was and I couldn't agree more with your comments and assessments. Keith brings more value playing in a 4 role , to limit his ice time and wear and tear on his body , not to mention he just isn't a top pairing defenseman 1 or 2.

That being said his contract, age, size , speed , and skill are major factors. Chicago we all agree needs to drastically improve its blue line next season and if their is still a window open to win another cup with toews and Kane , this team has to figure that out this summer .

Keith and Seabrook combined salaries are over 12 million , add in murphy that put them near 16 million even if you boqvist and joker play next season you'd still need to young top defenseman to pair them up with ,

How would you plan on fixing the defense if your paying out over 12 million in 2 aging , declining defenseman?

If Chicago was in a better position with prospects , salary cap space and looked like a team that was close to finishing off a retool, then I could see the argument on why we should keep Keith.

However Chicago has a ton of holes to fill and limited cap space , remember they can't go out this summer and spend a ton because they still need money for strome and Debrincat next summer with their raises?

Sure Crawford comes off the books , but that alone isn't enough.

Also trying to use hossa who was a forward as a comparison, is not being honest. Defenseman take a physical beating compared to forwards, you see more forwards playing late in their careers do to the fact they don't decline at the level defenseman do.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm glad to see your comments are being realistic.

Yes it was said the other day by multiple users that Keith is a elite 1 or 2 defenseman.

I never said Keith doesn't bring value , as you stated correctly he is no longer the player he once was and I couldn't agree more with your comments and assessments. Keith brings more value playing in a 4 role , to limit his ice time and wear and tear on his body , not to mention he just isn't a top pairing defenseman 1 or 2.

That being said his contract, age, size , speed , and skill are major factors. Chicago we all agree needs to drastically improve its blue line next season and if their is still a window open to win another cup with toews and Kane , this team has to figure that out this summer .

Keith and Seabrook combined salaries are over 12 million , add in murphy that put them near 16 million even if you boqvist and joker play next season you'd still need to young top defenseman to pair them up with ,

How would you plan on fixing the defense if your paying out over 12 million in 2 aging , declining defenseman?

If Chicago was in a better position with prospects , salary cap space and looked like a team that was close to finishing off a retool, then I could see the argument on why we should keep Keith.

However Chicago has a ton of holes to fill and limited cap space , remember they can't go out this summer and spend a ton because they still need money for strome and Debrincat next summer with their raises?

Sure Crawford comes off the books , but that alone isn't enough.

Also trying to use hossa who was a forward as a comparison, is not being honest. Defenseman take a physical beating compared to forwards, you see more forwards playing late in their careers do to the fact they don't decline at the level defenseman do.
excellent pov and this is the crux of everything for the Bhawks future going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad