Erik Gustafsson?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
We drafted him in 2012, and now he's played 8 games for Chicago (with 4pts).

How did that happen?

Didn't sign with the Oilers and became a UFA. We needed those contract spots for higher drafted players who are on their way to promising NHL careers like Pitlick, Hamilton, Musil, and Moroz.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Didn't sign with the Oilers and became a UFA. We needed those contract spots for higher drafted players who are on their way to promising NHL careers like Pitlick, Hamilton, Musil, and Moroz.

I think there was a story that he told the Oilers he wasn't interested in coming to NA as well

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We don't talk about this. We will have to witness him the next decade being a top 4 defenceman on Chicago now.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
didnt we just have this thread? Oilers drafted him, gave no indication he was coming over to NA--oilers lost his rights by not signing him and the hawks actually talked with him and signed him

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
didnt we just have this thread? Oilers drafted him, gave no indication he was coming over to NA--oilers lost his rights by not signing him and the hawks actually talked with him and signed him

Even if he wasn't interested in coming over at the time, players in Europe do not count against the 50 contract limit. The Oilers could have retained his rights just by giving him an ELC before the deadline and retained his rights with zero risk while he continued his development in Europe.

Edit: I guess this evens out the Anders Nilsson theft from CHI by Chia. Funny how things work out.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Even if he wasn't interested in coming over at the time, players in Europe do not count against the 50 contract limit. The Oilers could have retained his rights just by giving him an ELC before the deadline and retained his rights with zero risk while he continued his development in Europe.

but the 75 prospect it does--there is both a contract cap and prospect cap now

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
but the 75 prospect it does--there is both a contract cap and prospect cap now

News to me. That is why I love this message board.

It's not that I'm at all worried about missing out on him though. Lord knows the Oilers have the market cornered for bottom pairing defensemen.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
News to me. That is why I love this message board.

It's not that I'm at all worried about missing out on him though. Lord knows the Oilers have the market cornered for bottom pairing defensemen.

I don't know if he'll be a bottom pairing defenseman for long.

Quenneville seems to like him.

It sounds like he was the Hawks' best defenseman while playing on the bottom pairing with Rozsival in his first game after being called up and played most of his minutes with Seabrook in the next game against Colorado.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I don't know if he'll be a bottom pairing defenseman for long.

Quenneville seems to like him.

It sounds like he was the Hawks' best defenseman while playing on the bottom pairing with Rozsival in his first game after being called up and played most of his minutes with Seabrook in the next game against Colorado.

Too early to tell after only 8 games, but being paired with a guy like Seabrook would make many a bottom pairing guy look like a top 4 talent. If he turns into a hidden gem that scores 35-50 points a year, then yes I'll be choked, but it's not like I can muster any more hate or distain for management during that era. I have no more hate to give. I'm hated out.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
It's kind of funny that the Oilers actually managed to draft a good late rounder and then they don't sign him.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I've seen him play for 2 games for the Hawks, even though with top pairing, the coach seems to have a likling and confidence in him. Looks like he has good skills and reads the game very well. I can actually see this as a major ****up:shakehead

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
It's kind of funny that the Oilers actually managed to draft a good late rounder and then they don't sign him.

Because he knew what kind of gong show operation we have and decided he didn't want anything to do with it. Good for him. I wonder how many more prospects we might lose this way if things continue.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Because he knew what kind of gong show operation we have and decided he didn't want anything to do with it. Good for him. I wonder how many more prospects we might lose this way if things continue.

this. he didn't sign with the worst organization in the league, and then did sign with the best. sounds like a smart, and premeditated move.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
this. he didn't sign with the worst organization in the league, and then did sign with the best. sounds like a smart, and premeditated move.

It wasn't. He was actually "mad" that he didn't get signed and that spurred him to work harder, which led him to having a pretty good season in SHL the year after which led to him signing with the Hawks. He would've signed here easily if he was offered a contract.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
It wasn't. He was actually "mad" that he didn't get signed and that spurred him to work harder, which led him to having a pretty good season in SHL the year after which led to him signing with the Hawks. He would've signed here easily if he was offered a contract.

They weren't going to offer him a contract based on him, and his agent, saying he had non interest in coming over to NA to play. How the **** do you get mad about the Oilers not offering you a contract after that has been stated?

All this seems like is a player who got drafted by Edmonton, didn't want to play for the Oilers, and just found a way around it.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Let's pump the brakes a bit. Marincin or even Schultz have had 8 game stretches of dominance, without playing with Seabrook.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
They weren't going to offer him a contract based on him, and his agent, saying he had non interest in coming over to NA to play. How the **** do you get mad about the Oilers not offering you a contract after that has been stated?

All this seems like is a player who got drafted by Edmonton, didn't want to play for the Oilers, and just found a way around it.

Huh? Is there a source for this?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
One of the main issues with having so many of the same style of player in the system. Currently it's LH defenceman and forwards that are overstocked. This means that a lot of the good depth guys can get overlooked due to the fact there's no spot for them to develop. Rieder and Horak are other examples of this.

In theory it seems like an good idea as it allows you to keep the cream that rises to the top. But in reality, the problem it causes is that you're always forcasting guys. And let's face it, this team has always been more in love with potential than the idea of "one in hand is worth two in the bush".

It's how you choose Brule and MAP over Brodziak, or Brad Hunt over Marincin, or Schultz over Petry, or even the GlenX situation...

Davidson was a guy I was suspecting this to happen to (still could I guess haha), but it seem like they value him, even vs. sexier names like Reinhart or "established" vets like Ference or Nikitin.

You just know the old regime would have never done that.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I was curious about Erik Gustafsson and his time as Oilers property so I was reading this thread

The kid is really winning over Q and seems to be getting more and more looks in Hawks top 4

If he continues progressing like this he is likely going to become Hjalmarsson's partner going forward

Thru 16 games with Hawks he has 8 assists and is a +12

He seems to have everything you want in a defender (Good skater , Good shot , Good instincts)

Asked by Hawks beat writer about what happened with Oilers this was his response

Last edited:

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Well, I remember a few years back I asked about him on this very board. I though his stats seemed interesting enough to warrant some attention. But no one here seemed to care much.

I guess if he played in juniors in NA he would get alot more interest.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I feel like most kids need to improve their defensive play, so that's not really news.

That shouldn't be the reason to not sign a player.

They clearly just didn't think he was very good, which is starting to appear to be pretty foolish.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
meh whatever... Chorney 2.0
In Edmonton he wouldnt be much higher than Musil, Simpson, Davidson.
Good for him that he found a home in NHL

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad