Player Discussion Erik Gustafsson: The "Don't Panic, It's Not Gudbranson" Edition

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Petry's IQ is off the charts good while Gus is one of the dumbest players in the league. The problem with Petry is that his confidence waivers and he struggles for stretches. Gustafsson is an adventure because he doesn't process the game well, his low IQ is his greatest fault.
I couldn't disagree more haha!

I should clarify that when I refer to "IQ" in this instance, I am referring to offensive awareness. I think that's the only thing that keeps Gus in this league, and I also think that's the only thing holding Petry back from being a perpetual Norris defenseman.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I said the Drouin trade was bad. But it used to be Habs players/prospects would thrive elsewhere. That’s no longer the case. I would rather have Suzuki than Sergachev. Your anger should be directed at the communist system the NHL has imposed that rewards failure and distributes revenue from strong markets. Substitute X for Bergevin and the result is similar or even worse.
No anger at all..........frustration absolutely. The Habs have fallen so badly, because of mis-management for the last 5=6 years it's been brutal. Been a long long time fan, I liked when we were managed with Cup aspirations by good GM's.
This recent trend of lower expectations has been abysmal.
The playing field is level............we just have the wrong people in charge.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
No anger at all..........frustration absolutely. The Habs have fallen so badly, because of mis-management for the last 5=6 years it's been brutal. Been a long long time fan, I liked when we were managed with Cup aspirations by good GM's.
This recent trend of lower expectations has been abysmal.
The playing field is level............we just have the wrong people in charge.

You're referring to a time before cap limits. There's no difference between now and ten or twenty years ago. We're actually better off than the Houle era, and this board was counting down the days for when Gainey and Gauthier would be fired. Rinse/repeat. I'm also a frustrated Habs fan, but this is actually the most hopeful I've been in a few years with our current core. We have good young players in all the key positions especially center. I see no value in blowing up the current project and I see no blueprint for guaranteed success other than the anti-competitive "tanking" which I do not support no matter the potential benefits. The other blueprint proposed is trading our veterans for prospects. That's also not a guaranteed path. The only guaranteed path is reducing the league to about 20 teams like in the 80s, living with a decrease in overall revenue, and doing away with the cap so we can sign whatever players we want. But neither the league nor the players union would ever accept that.

I honestly haven't seen much of a plan from the detractors on this board other than "I would have made that move instead of this move," or "I would have gotten a ppG center and top pairing D, etc," like they grow on trees and teams are lining up to give them away.

It sucks we're stuck in a league that encourages failure as a means of success, but that's the situation we're all in. I would rather re-incentivize success so that teams actually attempting to remain competitive are rewarded while truly mismanaged teams like the Oilers and Senators are punished. Instead, they are showered with the best young players.

As a matter of principle, I think we should never accept a plan that involves failing as a first step. It's just not... right. The system is wrong, not us.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You're referring to a time before cap limits. There's no difference between now and ten or twenty years ago. We're actually better off than the Houle era, and this board was counting down the days for when Gainey and Gauthier would be fired. Rinse/repeat. I'm also a frustrated Habs fan, but this is actually the most hopeful I've been in a few years with our current core. We have good young players in all the key positions especially center. I see no value in blowing up the current project and I see no blueprint for guaranteed success other than the anti-competitive "tanking" which I do not support no matter the potential benefits. The other blueprint proposed is trading our veterans for prospects. That's also not a guaranteed path. The only guaranteed path is reducing the league to about 20 teams like in the 80s, living with a decrease in overall revenue, and doing away with the cap so we can sign whatever players we want. But neither the league nor the players union would ever accept that.

I honestly haven't seen much of a plan from the detractors on this board other than "I would have made that move instead of this move," or "I would have gotten a ppG center and top pairing D, etc," like they grow on trees and teams are lining up to give them away.

It sucks we're stuck in a league that encourages failure as a means of success, but that's the situation we're all in. I would rather re-incentivize success so that teams actually attempting to remain competitive are rewarded while truly mismanaged teams like the Oilers and Senators are punished. Instead, they are showered with the best young players.

As a matter of principle, I think we should never accept a plan that involves failing as a first step. It's just not... right. The system is wrong, not us.
Some great points...there is no one sure fire way to succeed these days. There is good management and some good luck involved ( tanking when Matthews is available, or McJesus )
That being said, I am of the opinion, we can't continue to trust a guy who throws stuff at the wall...and hope for the best. There are some nice pieces in house, and some lousy pieces in the house, as is for most teams, but we have been real bad the last 5-6 seasons, and in no way should we allow MB to carry on.
We need a hockey mind, that doesn't use trainng wheels on the job. The expectations have been lowered so badly year over year, it's gets very frustrating.
We have had zero success with this guy at the helm, and I have felt since his 4th season he has shown to be in over his head. We have spun our wheels for years, and I have seen enough.
Again just my 2 cents.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I will concede that but why waive one player and trade for Gustavfson? Makes no sense. Merrill is decent on the bottom pairing
I think Mete really wanted out and it's better to get rid of that. That was the main reason IMO. I think Gustafson brings more offense anyway, but I think he's probably happier here than Mete was and that's the main thing.

Reactions: Tyson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think Mete really wanted out and it's better to get rid of that. That was the main reason IMO. I think Gustafson brings more offense anyway, but I think he's probably happier here than Mete was and that's the main thing.

yeah... why keep a young, hungry player who wants to play, when you can have a veteran guy happy to sit in the press box and collect his cheques :facepalm:

Jul 6, 2016
Gus was ok yesterday nite. Merrill should be the one going in the press box next game.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
?? Mete lost his job. When your partner dumps you, do you still want to cook them dinner and hang out?

yeah... "lost his job"... same as JKO & CC for game 1 right? Same as Romanov right?

the revolving door of young players with potential that we shuffle through in favor of bargainbin vets on their way out of the league has nothing to do with "earning" or "losing" opportunity, and everything to do with crappy roster & asset management.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
yeah... "lost his job"... same as JKO & CC for game 1 right? Same as Romanov right?

the revolving door of young players with potential that we shuffle through in favor of bargainbin vets on their way out of the league has nothing to do with "earning" or "losing" opportunity, and everything to do with crappy roster & asset management.
Are you comparing Caufield, Kotkaniemi, and Romanov to Victor Mete?

Personally, I'm ok that Mete has gotten a fresh start and that he's not on the team anymore. Which is not to say I'm ecstatic about the roster, but that one part is fine with me.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Are you comparing Caufield, Kotkaniemi, and Romanov to Victor Mete?

Personally, I'm ok that Mete has gotten a fresh start and that he's not on the team anymore. Which is not to say I'm ecstatic about the roster, but that one part is fine with me.

How quickly some forget...

Mete, after his rookie season, was as or more highly regarded than Romanov.

The "comparison" is of how poorly we manage the development of young players.

Mete gave Ottawa exactly, or more, than what we needed from Merrill or Gust. We didn't get that from him because of how we mishandled him right up to waiving him.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

Mete gave Ottawa exactly, or more, than what we needed from Merrill or Gust. We didn't get that from him because of how we mishandled him right up to waiving him.

Well Mete was in the NHL and Romanov was picked in the 2nd round and was considered a reach.

Of course Mete was rated over Romanov.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

The proof is in the pudding. You can always argue that any player that doesn't work out is mishandled, but most players don't work out, so they can't all be mishandled. We'll just have to wait and see what happens to Mete.

Further discussion about him should probably go in the out of town thread.

Take care.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Well Mete was in the NHL and Romanov was picked in the 2nd round and was considered a reach.

Of course Mete was rated over Romanov.

? Mete was a 4th round pick.

but I agree with Harry, mete talk doesn't belong here.

That the team under the current leadership mishandles the development of young players is, at this point, of very litte doubt. As he said, "proof is in the pudding"... Gustafsson's addition just another bad tasting batch of pudding lol

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
? Mete was a 4th round pick.

but I agree with Harry, mete talk doesn't belong here.

That the team under the current leadership mishandles the development of young players is, at this point, of very litte doubt. As he said, "proof is in the pudding"... Gustafsson's addition just another bad tasting batch of pudding lol

He said Mete was more highly regarded than Romanov after his rookie season.

I said it was kind of normal since he was in the NHL and the other was an unknown Russian 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Trash Man

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He said Mete was more highly regarded than Romanov after his rookie season.

I said it was kind of normal since he was in the NHL and the other was an unknown Russian 2nd round pick.

you seem confused...

I was the one that suggested Mete was as or more highly regarded than Romanov after their respective rookie seasons. I didn't specify "respective", though i thought it was implied. That's a mistake a lot of posters seem to consistently make... comparing players at the same point in time vs at the same point in their respective careers.... and ignoring the context of experience, age, opportunity et.

anyhow, point remains that where Romanov is today (confusingly scratched despite showing more positive than both veteran depth additions the genius GM decided to add at the expense of superior, or marginally inferior, right now hockey players that were also better assets for us given their age/contract/contract status) is no further ahead as a prospect with potential than Mete was after his rookie season... and we saw how that played out thanks to the poor approach to development the team takes.

Playing Gustafsson ahead of Romanov reeks of the same stupidity... and to the degree that it messes with his confidence or belief of his ability to succeed in this organization, in 2-3 seasons if we see him waived in favor of roster space for the next bargain bin vet MB decides to bank on "fixing" the mess he's created, i don't want to hear that same old tired take that "well he's just not that good anyways so it's no loss... this NEW shiny prospect is soooo much better and THIS time will succeed :facepalm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Mete is that type that looks good with his skating but as an undersized guy on D that don't really move the needle with creating offense. Guys like Mete are a liabity in the playoffs.

Remember, Hudon had 30 pts in 72 games with 10 goals in one of our tank years.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
We can say that the top of the pyramid on the PP is really dangerous with a PMD (Gus) + Suzuki and Caufield

Gus also has a good 1st pass

it makes a big difference because we don’t have a lot of good passing D
Really. He doesnt keep the puck really for a long time during PP and makes pass quickly. Thats helps imo to create some play. Petry sometimes keeps the puck too longer in o-zone and pressure comming up and we lose the territory. Gustaffson make pass tape to tape most of the time. It helps for the transition

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad