Erik Gudbranson

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Taken #3 overall, but only seeing 3rd pairing minutes in his 4th season. I thought he'd at least be getting top 4 minutes considering the team he plays for.

Is it too soon to start speculating about whether he hits his potential or not?

I know D can take longer to develop and he's had some injuries, but what is he going to become? A top pairing shutdown guy who captain's the team? A solid top 4 player? A bust?

Thoughts?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Defensemen are tough. Hedman took a long time to figure it out.

Can't really judge what he'll be at this point, but he had the talent to be taken 3rd overall, so he definitely can turn it around.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
From what I understand, aren't Panthers fans happy with Gudbranson and still hold his value very high?
Pretty much. What most Panther's fans will tell you is he has been dealing with injuries and bad D partners his whole career. I for one don't like to give those reasons too much. I just think that the Panthers were such a dumpster fire, it was impossible to reach his potential. But now that we have finally got our coaching position stabilized, he is finally starting to show his potential.
He has always been mean and hard hitting, but now he can do it in a structured environment. Now he is really starting to impose his physical presence back there on the blueline.
He has always had a good first pass out of the zone, and that's getting even better. His offense is coming around, he used to miss the net a lot but he gets his shots on goal now and he would have more points if he didn't hit some posts. Give him a little while longer, and I could see him push for a top 2 spot.
The character has always been there, and hasn't changed. He was pegged as future captain material, and that seems to be right on schedule. Most Panther fans think he will be the future captain of this team.
But the bottom line is, he's big, tough, mean, and can skate, has great leadership qualities, and has a good offensive upside.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
He's great. 3rd overall great, maybe not but we've got him and he's looked very very good this year playing with Olsen who isn't exactly a star. Defence is already there offense could come.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Always liked this player and hoped he would reach his potential, cuz if he ever does, can be very very good. Not to mention scary. I remember he had a bomb of a shot too.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Gudbranson has had a pretty good season so far IMO. The Panthers' defense is pretty good so him being in the 3rd pairing isn't really a slight against him. Ekblad-Campbell and Kulikov-Mitchell are definitely better defensemen, and have good chemistry. Gudbranson has good chemistry with Olsen. No reason to break up the pairings.

I think he'll be a solid 2nd pairing nasty stay at home guy. He has cut down on the mistakes. His offensive game is progressing, although very slowly.

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
I'm not making excuses but the guy is 22. You know how many young blueliners we write off around here only to eat our words when they turn 25?

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Actually if you look of Quality of Competition, either per total ice time or corsi competition, Gubs has higher than Campbell-Ekblad, and not with favoured zone starts either. He's playing less than others but definately not because he is beeing sheltered. Those are difficult minutes and he's doing great, and he's doing that with Olsen who is the weakest link in defense. (Olsen is solid, but so are everyone else on Panthers). There's a saying you cant hide bottom2 guys in NHL and for sure Panthers arent even trying

Another issue is that he cant really just steal icetime away due how the roles are beeing deployed. Kuli has been amazing playing his offside and Ekblad too, neither which would deserve any less minutes. And even if could be an option skillwise, the chemistries would still be a question. Could Ekblad play with Olsen as good as Guds is doing? Part of the awesome defense has been no weak links. Straight option of that pairing just playing more "top4" minutes is unrealistic unless Olsen shows he has another gear. And imo Olsen-Gubs were the best pairing when Kuli was out, just showing how much chemistries matter. (others beeing Mitchell-Ekblad, Robak-Campbel)

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
There's nothing wrong with him. He had injuries and a crappy defense partner he always had to keep an eye on on Jovo. He's been great for whatever reason with Olsen.

Why do people keeping asking questions without watching the team at all?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Actually if you look of Quality of Competition, either per total ice time or corsi competition, Gubs has higher than Campbell-Ekblad, and not with favoured zone starts either. He's playing less than others but definately not because he is beeing sheltered. Those are difficult minutes and he's doing great, and he's doing that with Olsen who is the weakest link in defense. (Olsen is solid, but so are everyone else on Panthers). There's a saying you cant hide bottom2 guys in NHL and for sure Panthers arent even trying

Another issue is that he cant really just steal icetime away due how the roles are beeing deployed. Kuli has been amazing playing his offside and Ekblad too, neither which would deserve any less minutes. And even if could be an option skillwise, the chemistries would still be a question. Could Ekblad play with Olsen as good as Guds is doing? Part of the awesome defense has been no weak links. Straight option of that pairing just playing more "top4" minutes is unrealistic unless Olsen shows he has another gear. And imo Olsen-Gubs were the best pairing when Kuli was out, just showing how much chemistries matter. (others beeing Mitchell-Ekblad, Robak-Campbel)

Great post. I see Guds as 17:00 TOI guy with top 4 potential/1st unit PK/some PP time if need be.

I'd also be curious to see where his 3rd pairing unit with Olsen stacks up minute wise versus top 10 bottom pairing units in the league. He is not sheltered, that's for sure. And , he's built for playoff hockey. He was a beast in playoffs vs NJ as a 19/20 year old.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I know D can take longer to develop and he's had some injuries, but what is he going to become? A top pairing shutdown guy who captain's the team? A solid top 4 player? A bust?

Thoughts?

Before this year I'd say he was a bust, but he's been really solid this year. Would I have taken him at #3 this point? No, but he's become a good player and a leader.

Dylan Olsen has been really good for him.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
He's going to be a great stay at home monster, but I don't know anymore what to expect from him on the offensive side. But I do love having him on the team.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
He's going to be a great stay at home monster, but I don't know anymore what to expect from him on the offensive side. But I do love having him on the team.

If he ever figures out how to consistently get his shot on net it would sure help his offense. But he has made giant strides in his defensive game this year. He's learned to not take himself out of position going for the huge hit all the time.

Weast

May 16, 2011
If he ever figures out how to consistently get his shot on net it would sure help his offense. But he has made giant strides in his defensive game this year. He's learned to not take himself out of position going for the huge hit all the time.

I remember watching a game last season where Gudbrandson went for a monster check, missed completly and it resulted in a 3 on 1 goal :laugh:

Good to see him finally find his form

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Great post.

I'd still take him over Cam Fowler AINEC

Let's not get too crazy here.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I think having the likes of Bobby Orr and Denis Potvin around on a daily-weekly basis has helped this young Dcore as well. It seems the Panthers have a lot of students of the game on the backend. I'm not going to give Gallant 100% of the credit here. It's been like a culture change , not just a new system in place. Orr and Potvin doing their part I assume too.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
His future is Mark Fraser

Um...no.

I think having the likes of Bobby Orr and Denis Potvin around on a daily-weekly basis has helped this young Dcore as well. It seems the Panthers have a lot of students of the game on the backend. I'm not going to give Gallant 100% of the credit here. It's been like a culture change , not just a new system in place. Orr and Potvin doing their part I assume too.

I've said it too, Potvin has definitely rubbed off on the young D.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Reminds me a lot of a young EJ in the sense that they were both drafted high, dealt with injuries early in there pro careers, and both didn't have the most promising of futures at one point.

For EJ, he was really looking like being nothing more then a #2/3 for a good 2-3 years, basically right up until Roy got a hold of him last season. Since then, he has taken his game from one level to the next multiple times under Roy.

Establishing himself as a low end #1 Dman last year, and now starting to establish himself as one of the better #1's this year.

I could very well see Gudbranson follow the same path. He's a Defensive Dman more then offensive so it's gonna take time for him to develop. Definitely way to early to right him off. It might take another 2-3 years even before he finds his game, but he will find it IMO. He'll be a solid Top pairing Dman at least, the question is whether his Offensive game can develop as well or not. That's what will determine whether he's a #2, #1, or elite #1.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I remember watching a game last season where Gudbrandson went for a monster check, missed completly and it resulted in a 3 on 1 goal :laugh:

Good to see him finally find his form

He's getting better on knowing when to go for a hit. 2 years ago he had issues hitting cleanly, last year he showed improvements on when to try for a big hit and this year's he's tying it all up on the defensive side of the game.
If he pull a Garrison and learn to aim his hard shot, he will be complete physical defenseman.

MadFerIt95*

Always liked this guy. Seemed to do well vs the Flyers but other than that I never really see him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad