Player Discussion Erik Gudbranson (D) to Sens for 5th round pick - PART II

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Boro is back to being Boro this year. 3rd pairing guy at best; 1 pt in 17 games averaging around 13 minutes a night. Gudbranson is a marginal NHLer but so is Boro. On a good team neither one would play more than the occasional game.
Parts of this fanbase are obsessed with arguing about marginal role players. It’s beyond explanation.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Not sure what’s worst. Lazy icing that happens from time to time, or a coach that puts the tired player back on the ice right away to kill a penalty...

Gudbranson was having a decent game before all that happened.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Pretty rough 2 minutes of hockey for Gudbranson tonight.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The other, very small portion of the fanbase, is obsessed with telling the majority how they should feel about the Ottawa Senators.
Well it would be nice if people were a little more objective. For example if Batherson threw the puck into his own net people would make excuses for him but if Reilly had a shot hit him in the head and ricochet into his own net people would be going crazy over his stupid play.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That lazy icing was bad. Brannstrom would probably not see NHL time this year after that.

I don’t know why this is the prevailing narrative the young players on this team are being given every opportunity.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
That entire sequence is what Gudbranson will be remembered for in Ottawa. What a legacy to leave.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Im not defending Gub, but why would DJ leave him out for the PK after the long shift?

I’m a beer leaguer, even to me it’s obvious how hard it is to play disciplined when the gas is on empty. The stick gets a mind if it’s own to compensate. That’s why the double minor happened. Gub + fatigue.

Another Gub shift timer on TSN tonight. Nobody else gets those...

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Well it would be nice if people were a little more objective. For example if Batherson threw the puck into his own net people would make excuses for him but if Reilly had a shot hit him in the head and ricochet into his own net people would be going crazy over his stupid play.

I agree that young players mistakes aren't treated the same way by this board, but that's also because they're young players. It's a development season so you kind of have to expect that there will be some rookie mistakes. Doesn't excuse the bad play, but you hope they'll learn from it as they develop. I get why people are frustrated that there's a double standard, but at the end of the day if we're going to lose a game because of a players mistake I'd rather it be someone who could learn from it.

When Gudbranson makes mistakes they are amplified because this is a 500+ game NHL player who is making costly mistakes. To be fair to him, he hasn't really been set up for success. He shouldn't be averaging close to 20:00 TOI a night. He's not mobile to begin with and the second he gets gassed he really starts to struggle. He's never been a top-4 shutdown defenseman yet he's expected the play that role. I don't get the kneejerk reaction to defend his play because he's just not a very effective defenseman. I watched him in his Vancouver days (friends are Nucks fans) and I've watched him now. The flaws in his game have always heavily outweighed what he brings, unless you're using him sparingly on your 3rd D pair. I get he's a stop-gap but there had to be a better options out there this offseason.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Im not defending Gub, but why would DJ leave him out for the PK after the long shift?

I’m a beer leaguer, even to me it’s obvious how hard it is to play disciplined when the gas is on empty. The stick gets a mind if it’s own to compensate. That’s why the double minor happened. Gub + fatigue.

No doubt he plays way too much. He's a guy that should be playing 12-14 minutes a night. We need another good vet Dman on this team. A good one this time preferably.

Chabot - Zub/Vet
Brannstrom - Vet/Zub
Wolanin- JBD
Reilly
Brown

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009

That whole sequence was so bafflingly incompetent. I'm a little surprised Gudbranson didn't sit himself for that PK. It was such an obvious mistake to put him out there. And it wasn't just him; Tierney was dog tired, too, and asked to kill off the penalty.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah, this really makes zero sens. Put out the Zub Reilly duo and let gud catch his breath. If you really think you need to play Gudbranson to start that PK for some reason, call a timeout.

Not sure what DJ was thinking. He put Gudbranson out right after he had messed up already to put them in that situation, and was gassed.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yeah, this really makes zero sens. Put out the Zub Reilly duo and let gud catch his breath. If you really think you need to play Gudbranson to start that PK for some reason, call a timeout.

Not sure what DJ was thinking. He put Gudbranson out right after he had messed up already to put them in that situation, and was gassed.

Definitely a mistake he made, asking too much of the player. I'm sure he would admit it.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Agreed. He'd look really good in the lineup right now and the 3rd we got back doesn't really justify the move.
They replaced DeMelo with Zub who makes considerably less money and is just as good if not better. That’s why they moved on from DeMelo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad