Confirmed with Link: Erik Foley Signs ELC (3 years starting 2018/19)

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
So this means the 4th round pick is now gone, yes?

Right - we never really had it in the first place , though. We would only receive a 2020 4th if Foley went unsigned, so the 4th is out of the window now.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Giving Foley the Parayko treatment to me shows their optimism in his potential. Keeping that expansion exemption status intact can prove to be very important in 2020.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Wonder if he'll see any playing time in San Antonio. God I can't wait for the Blues to finally have full control over their AHL affiliate next season. It just makes things such a mess.

Reactions: Borderbluesfan

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yay! Excited to see Foley play as I still haven’t seen much of him yet so hopefully he gets into some games with the Rampage (he was injured his last college game and will be medically evaluated in STL before reporting to SA).

And agreed that it’s very good that his contract starts next season.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
All considering, I’d say this is the best possible outcome. We aren’t burning ahead of his contract, and he gets to go to “our” AHL team and start getting used to several guys who are likely to be his teammates next year, even if it’s only in practice. Although if the Rampage are truly running the roster on a merit basis, he should absolutely get some time in, assuming he’s healthy

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Awesome, I'm excited to see how Foley progresses as he hits the pros. I think he's got a really nice skillset that'll translate well.

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Congratulations on signing Foley. The Jets holds a rookie camp each summer after the NHL drafts. He really impressed me. He would skate along the right boards and shoot on stride picking off the top far corner. He will be a good one.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
We need a few more hard nosed players and I think Foley is this type of player. Kostin plays with an edged too. They will be welcomed by me.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Wonder if he'll see any playing time in San Antonio. God I can't wait for the Blues to finally have full control over their AHL affiliate next season. It just makes things such a mess.
I’m excited for the Blues to take over San Antonio, I made the trip to see the Rampage this year for the first time. Saw a lot of Blues jerseys. Talked with longtime Rampage fans, they are excited that the Blues are taking over coaching. I will definitely be making the 3 1/2 hour drive north next year more frequently to see Blues prospects!! Great city and NHL level facility. Can’t wait to see Blues prospects coached by Blues coaches! Now I just need to plan the 10 hour road trip to make a Dallas/Blues game in Dallas.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Thrilled about this signing, and even more impressed that he will be expansion exempt. Well done, D Armstrong! I love this kid's style of play.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If I had to offer a guess, I'd say Foley will wind up being traded by the Blues.

I'm all for stockpiling the futures but there's only 12 forward spots.

Tarasenko Schenn Schwartz
Steen Berglund Sobotka

Those 6 are at least signed through the 2019-20.

Fabbri, Barbashev, Tage Thompson, Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, & Sanford are 7 more forwards. I doubt all of these players wind up being a Blue note either but, does anyone see Foley being above these listed?

I look for Army to trade for a legit top 6 player at the draft such as Hoffman. Some of these futures will be on the move sooner or later.
That's not how this works.

Berglund and Sobotka? Seriously? Their futures here look fairly bleak. I'd be pretty surprised if either one was on the roster for more than one more year here. Bottom line is, they're not keeping any prospects from getting a spot. If somebody can offer the same production for a fraction of the cost, they will be gone. That is how good NHL teams are run.

Steen has 3 years left, who knows if he finishes that contract here. Foley is only 20 so that's plenty of time for a spot to open up there.

I would not be surprised if Foley became better than 4 of those young players you listed.

So, yes, there will be room for him and he provides a style of play we could use. Sounds like the Blues specifically targeted him too. They didn't do that just because they wanted to trade him...

And you even said it, some of those guys will be traded. A guy like Kostin or Thompson probably has more value and could be the one going out in a trade for a scorer. So lots can change.

I'm excited to watch this guy in the Note.

Reactions: ezcreepin

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
That's not how this works.

Berglund and Sobotka? Seriously? Their futures here look fairly bleak. I'd be pretty surprised if either one was on the roster for more than one more year here. Bottom line is, they're not keeping any prospects from getting a spot. If somebody can offer the same production for a fraction of the cost, they will be gone. That is how good NHL teams are run.

Steen has 3 years left, who knows if he finishes that contract here. Foley is only 20 so that's plenty of time for a spot to open up there.

I would not be surprised if Foley became better than 4 of those young players you listed.

So, yes, there will be room for him and he provides a style of play we could use. Sounds like the Blues specifically targeted him too. They didn't do that just because they wanted to trade him...

And you even said it, some of those guys will be traded. A guy like Kostin or Thompson probably has more value and could be the one going out in a trade for a scorer. So lots can change.

I'm excited to watch this guy in the Note.
Just to add to that, it's the ONLY way to stay competitive in the salary cap league. There's a reason why Detroit sucks and Chicago didn't (Ha). Signing every player to long and bad contracts, especially the ones that were bottom pairing or bottom 6 forwards have royally screwed Detroit. Chicago handled their situation well with rotating out their bottom 6, while maintaining their big guns. Blues would be doing themselves a huuuuge favor trading players like Berglund and Sobotka NOW while they still have some decent value (so I'm in agreement with you).

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
That San Antonio team is looking like it's going to be extremely competitive next year. If it's not I'd be willing to bet it's because a lot of the guys are main stays on the NHL roster. I really don't think we should trade the prospects unless we can't upgrade the 1/2C spot through FA. A lot of exciting forwards in the system right now, really good to see :thumbu: Let's hope a really good defensemen falls to us in the draft with WPGs pick.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Good article. This kind of stuck out to me: "With Kryou, Kostin, and Thomas already with the Rampage", but I enjoyed the pump up about Foley.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Good article. This kind of stuck out to me: "With Kryou, Kostin, and Thomas already with the Rampage", but I enjoyed the pump up about Foley.

Yeah, I caught a couple more interesting tidbits from that article. One of them is the statement Foley could "easily make the 2018-19" Blues team, and the other is that he has been compared to Jakub "Vorachek." I question both of those statements, but overall a good read.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
That San Antonio team is looking like it's going to be extremely competitive next year. If it's not I'd be willing to bet it's because a lot of the guys are main stays on the NHL roster. I really don't think we should trade the prospects unless we can't upgrade the 1/2C spot through FA. A lot of exciting forwards in the system right now, really good to see :thumbu: Let's hope a really good defensemen falls to us in the draft with WPGs pick.

Only hope that we don't end up like Memphis Cards where the minor league team ends up looking better against their level of play than the major league team looks against their level of competition. I'm all in and excited about the changes the Blues made this year, but I am really excited about the Blues AHl players in San Antonio, I will get to see them and I'm excited how good they could be. Excited that the Blues have a dedicated AHL team this year.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Only hope that we don't end up like Memphis Cards where the minor league team ends up looking better against their level of play than the major league team looks against their level of competition. I'm all in and excited about the changes the Blues made this year, but I am really excited about the Blues AHl players in San Antonio, I will get to see them and I'm excited how good they could be. Excited that the Blues have a dedicated AHL team this year.
I think your fears are warranted. The Rampage should be a legitimate Calder Cup contender if they remain healthy, and The Blues remain relatively healthy, and don't raid The Rampage's best players constantly, ruining their cohesiveness and groove.

Reactions: Borderbluesfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad