Erik Erlendsson's new website "LightningInsider"

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Big EE fan, but I think I'm going to need more than beat reporting and game recaps for 5 bucks a month. Maybe when he gets podcasts up and running.

That's the thing. I really want to support EE because I think he's good at what he does, but it feels like I'd be giving him a pity subscription, since it's hard for me to imagine any actual "insider" info about the Lightning leaking out.

If he develops a reputation for getting legit inside scoops, I'll reconsider for sure. But this is Yzerman era Lightning. Not exactly easy to launch an insider site on the tightest lips in the NHL.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
That's the thing. I really want to support EE because I think he's good at what he does, but it feels like I'd be giving him a pity subscription, since it's hard for me to imagine any actual "insider" info about the Lightning leaking out.

If he develops a reputation for getting legit inside scoops, I'll reconsider for sure. But this is Yzerman era Lightning. Not exactly easy to launch an insider site on the tightest lips in the NHL.

I agree with you guys.

Even if he did manage to get some insider info, the second his subscribers read the info it will be out in the public anyways.

I don't think it was a good idea for him to go subscription based over advertisements.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I will most likely pass EE just does not put out legit info since yzerman gives up nothing I still follow him on twitter. 5 bucks a month for what ? maybe 2 bucks a month I would. Really Lebrun and bobby mac getting more info then him they must know agents and gm's a lot better but I do like EE a lot but for 5 bucks a month na.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If he's going subscription based, he needs to have more content. I think there is a market for a professional Lightning podcast, and if he can get some of the players and coaching staff to appear, all the better. He has good connections to the org and is able to break news, but nowadays "breaking" news means having it 3 seconds before someone else, so I don't know how valuable that is.

The rest of his stuff - beat reporting and game recaps - are a dime a dozen (even if he ends up doing it particularly well). I think he should have waited to have a bit more content ready to go before launching, but at the same time maybe he doesn't need many subscribers to make it worthwhile to him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he's going subscription based, he needs to have more content. I think there is a market for a professional Lightning podcast, and if he can get some of the players and coaching staff to appear, all the better. He has good connections to the org and is able to break news, but nowadays "breaking" news means having it 3 seconds before someone else, so I don't know how valuable that is.

The rest of his stuff - beat reporting and game recaps - are a dime a dozen (even if he ends up doing it particularly well). I think he should have waited to have a bit more content ready to go before launching, but at the same time maybe he doesn't need many subscribers to make it worthwhile to him.

Even with a podcast, it only works if you can get the players/coaches to give something better than the canned answers they've been trained to give.

I would probably subscribe to the BP podcast, for instance, because it's pretty objective, and doesn't adhere to team talking points, and it gives a lot of prospect information that's not readily available (without hours and hours of research). The problem with actual access to the team is it usually comes with the price of objectivity, so I'm guessing it would result in the same old same old, with everybody saying what they're supposed to say.

So I'm saying the same thing you are, in short. It comes down to information, and I don't see EE, or anyone else, getting any actual information that I would deem valuable enough to pay for. At least not if he's approaching this, like you say, as a beat writer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I like EE and 5 bucks a month is not much, I rather pay that than have ads or all over the place. gonna try it out!

Let us know what it's like.

It's definitely cheap, but it feels like the only reason I'd be subscribing is because EE seems like a good guy and I wish he hadn't lost his job. Pretty much a pity sub. If it turns out he's actually got valuable content, I'll probably go ahead and sub. If BP charged $5 a month, I'd have no problem with it. Part of me's kind of hoping I'm wrong and he actually puts up a site full of interesting insider content. I just can't picture it right now.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I will also be giving this subscription a go for sure. EE has always responded to my messages/tweets and would reply instantly to me if I ever had any questions when I was visiting Tampa.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
There was free access to the site until recently. I didn't really use it much, but I am a big EE fan, he usually is pretty good to put everything on twitter though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sadly not many people are going to subscribe for things they can just look up themselves. However, the Lightning would do well to have their own insider who can source internal information before anyone else and the fans could deem it accurate.

It would be nice to have our own guy who could tweet out: "rumor has it the Lightning are in play for a trade; but only for right price" rather than just wait for Bob McKenzie to do it or better yet have a podcast where he can give out information like, "I was told to expect (player) to play during the homestand" I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

The Lightning are on such a "we'll let you know as it happens" basis that any ACTUAL insider info would be amazing.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Sadly not many people are going to subscribe for things they can just look up themselves. However, the Lightning would do well to have their own insider who can source internal information before anyone else and the fans could deem it accurate.

It would be nice to have our own guy who could tweet out: "rumor has it the Lightning are in play for a trade; but only for right price" rather than just wait for Bob McKenzie to do it or better yet have a podcast where he can give out information like, "I was told to expect (player) to play during the homestand" I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

The Lightning are on such a "we'll let you know as it happens" basis that any ACTUAL insider info would be amazing.
Mainly that's due to yzerman he does not leak anything out to ee. Off the record I'm sure the players talk to ee on stuff and cooper but ee is not going to release information! Ya it would be nice to have a neutral team insider about to give the fans some information! But for some reason Lebrun or Bobby Mac always get a hold of it first.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know if he can generate the kind of traffic he would need. Especially with the season the Lightning are having.

He should turn into the Lightning's version of Eklund and just start making **** up. That'll get clicks.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I don't know if he can generate the kind of traffic he would need. Especially with the season the Lightning are having.

He should turn into the Lightning's version of Eklund and just start making **** up. That'll get clicks.
Yes that's exactly what he should do

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Erik is a good guy. Always answers my questions and he does have inside privaledges. So will support him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Anyone subscribed how is it ?

Met Erik at the game a couple of weeks ago. Great guy, and the site is coming along, it is nice to get a view from someone who knows whats going on in the organization. He has post game write ups, and blogs as well. Believe he is trying to get a community forum going as well. I think it's worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad