Player Discussion: Erik Cernak

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Heddy has surprisingly been the bad man out this year, if not a little longer. Without him moving the puck for a guy like him or Core everything just kinda goes flat. Cernak is still getting in lanes and playing decently but its not like he leads the breakout a ton.
I've been been suspecting since the beginning of the season that he has had a hip issue.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I thought early on he wasn't himself due to inconsistent d partners but has since been pretty steady with Cole next to him.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Cernak flat out just doesn’t fight anymore, which I think is the greatest proof of his injury troubles.

Him being a subpar partner for hedman is the biggest surprise of the year to me.

Reactions: Hoek

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Cernak seemed so vital to the teams future given the lack of depth on the right side. I was fine with his contact. Now I’m starting to wonder if McDonough is who got him paid. Hope not

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Cernak seemed so vital to the teams future given the lack of depth on the right side. I was fine with his contact. Now I’m starting to wonder if McDonough is who got him paid. Hope not
He needs a stay at home partner because big guy can skate and pull off the occasional entry coast to coast. McDonagh was rarely caught out and could read it. Him and Hedman are a dream pair but thats it and nothing more. Both are too two way to work with each other. Cernak has looked mediocre this year because he doesn't look good with Sergachev or Hedman imo. I wish he'd be paired with Cole but then that means your top 4 RD is Bogo and Perbix. Not ideal.

Reactions: Byrddog

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
He needs a stay at home partner because big guy can skate and pull off the occasional entry coast to coast. McDonagh was rarely caught out and could read it. Him and Hedman are a dream pair but thats it and nothing more. Both are too two way to work with each other. Cernak has looked mediocre this year because he doesn't look good with Sergachev or Hedman imo. I wish he'd be paired with Cole but then that means your top 4 RD is Bogo and Perbix. Not ideal.
Cernak and Cole were p bad tonight.

Serge was fit with fluery, which was ….eventful.

Hedman looked good again, perbix gonna see some top pairing time if he keeps it up.

But the hedman serge pairing is the money maker.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
So Cernek gets suspended for roughing up Buffalo while the Lightning play two teams Buffalo is competing with for a wild card. Kinda sucks for the Sabres

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Cernak and Cole were p bad tonight.

Serge was fit with fluery, which was ….eventful.

Hedman looked good again, perbix gonna see some top pairing time if he keeps it up.

But the hedman serge pairing is the money maker.
I don’t think anyone saw Perbix being this good at this point. Sure potential but this kid is playing at Sergi level or above now and look at the number of games in the league Sergi has. Pleasant suprise and we need another.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
His decline is sad, whether it be due to injuries and/or no McDonagh to carry him. He can't handle a puck anymore, is caught flat footed pretty often, and gets hurt a ton.

Cernak should be traded this offseason to a team who has an excess of young defensemen (ex: Blackhawks) and excess of picks (ex: Utah, Blackhawks, Flames). Salvage a decent return and clear cap space

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
His decline is sad, whether it be due to injuries and/or no McDonagh to carry him. He can't handle a puck anymore, is caught flat footed pretty often, and gets hurt a ton.

Cernak should be traded this offseason to a team who has an excess of young defensemen (ex: Blackhawks) and excess of picks (ex: Utah, Blackhawks, Flames). Salvage a decent return and clear cap space
I agree, his health is concerning going forward. We should move him this summer IMO

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013

I keep coming to Utah when I look for possible trade partners. They have a good young offensive core and I imagine are wanna be aggressive in being contenders their first year. I wonder if a hockey trade could be made here instead of straight dumping his salary for picks.

I know we were interested in Crouse a few years ago and seems like a decent player who could be an odd man out for them with Cooley, Guenther, etc.

Jeannot + Cerank for Crouse + picks

only saves about 3.5mil which likely isn't enough to get stammer and a few more competent dmen

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
"Replacing" Cernak for someone half the cost who does what he does might be one of the dumbest things I've read here. Which teams are lining up the 20min defensive munching defenseman on the market for under 3M?? Sounds easy to find.

All of his comparables are priced roughly where he is. Unless we want a less physical, less defensive guy to play the right, because there's not enough of those already then good luck finding a replacement. Barring another major injury there's no rush to move on from him, give your head a shake if you think a 26 year old can't bounce back after an off year with all around poor defensive help. Same type of people who probably thought McDonagh was done when he was traded to Tampa at 29 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
"Replacing" Cernak for someone half the cost who does what he does might be one of the dumbest things I've read here. Which teams are lining up the 20min defensive munching defenseman on the market for under 3M?? Sounds easy to find.

All of his comparable are priced roughly where he is. Unless we want a less physical, less defensive guy to play the right, because there's not enough of those already then good luck finding a replacement. Barring another major injury there's no rush to move on from him, give your head a shake if you think a 26 year old can't bounce back after an off year with all around poor defensive help. Same type of people who probably thought McDonagh was done when he was traded to Tampa at 29 years old.
While true, I think the idea is shedding cap space in some way and people are split on Cirelli, Cernak, and Sergachev as those candidates. Of course, the newest victim may be Stamkos after all is said and done.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
While true, I think the idea is shedding cap space in some way and people are split on Cirelli, Cernak, and Sergachev as those candidates. Of course, the newest victim may be Stamkos after all is said and done.

And logically speaking, you would move pieces who 1) cost more or 2) have replacements available. Cernak costs the least and has the lowest replacement value. Who takes Cernak's job if he's gone? Perbix and Raddysh going to log those d-zone starts and SH/TOI?

Cirelli is a 3C who costs 6.25M - 2nd highest caphit of the 3, the biggest luxury and his NTC doesn't kick in until the following season.

Sergachev costs the most and very clearly not a #1 defenseman despite costing like one, team had their best stretch of the year with him out of the lineup because Hedman plays the exact same role but better. If we don't re-sign Hedman the argument is better for Sergachev but as long as they're both on the team then Sergachev's value takes a hit.

Stamkos isn't a victim, he's in that position because he isn't able to prove he's undeniably worth it to keep around. You can't say he isn't catered too and spoonfed on this team and continually disappoints, yeah I get he was hot down the stretch and playing well now that doesn't erase the countless sample size we have of him being ineffective for long stretches. People only want him here at a big discount because they know he's not worth his fair/market value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad