Confirmed with Link: Erik Cernak signs 8 year extension | $5.2M AAV

AHockeyFanatic

Champa Bay
Jul 4, 2021
Have you seen cirelli and cernak the last three years in our playoff runs they are "CORE PIECES"
Cernak has 0 scoring ability, Cirelli has 5% scoring ability. I understand these are defensive pieces but Sergachev is horribly average and wasn’t anywhere close to worth that until he learns how to not be a dumb shit with the puck.

Cirelli was below average this year.

I like Cernak but I still think it’s an overpay.

Reactions: Bolt32 and ultra63

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Needs to find a way to not get killed by pucks every couple games. Otherwise this is probably the best value.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't mind the money here at all. The years are scary because Cernak's style isn't one that makes you think "that guy's gonna last."

But $5.2 isn't bad for a top-4 guy who is a #3 on most teams in the league. I just worry that his 30s aren't going to be kind, given what he goes through, particularly in the playoffs.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Would have liked 4.5, but Cernak was the highest priority of the 3 if you as me.

Only concern here is the guy is a puck magnet and the style he plays might not age well. Either way happy to have him locked up

If Foote can become a 2nd pair RD then our top 4 could be decent on the right hand side!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Would have liked 4.5, but Cernak was the highest priority of the 3 if you as me.

Only concern here is the guy is a puck magnet and the style he plays might not age well. Either way happy to have him locked up

If Foote can become a 2nd pair RD then our top 4 could be decent on the right hand side!
I don't think 4.5 would be realistic. Nor do I think it's realistic that Foote will become a top-4 D. And I mean in his entire career, let alone next season.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't mind the money here at all. The years are scary because Cernak's style isn't one that makes you think "that guy's gonna last."

But $5.2 isn't bad for a top-4 guy who is a #3 on most teams in the league. I just worry that his 30s aren't going to be kind, given what he goes through, particularly in the playoffs.

Cernak is only 4 seasons into his career, he'll be fine. If you want comparables then Girardi and McDonagh play a similar physical style, Girardi didn't peak until his 8th/9th year and McDonagh despite never missing the playoffs once in his career and logging a TON of minutes was playing well as a 32/33 year old. We're going to get good value on this while he gets even stronger in his late 20's.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cernak is only 4 seasons into his career, he'll be fine. If you want comparables then Girardi and McDonagh play a similar physical style, Girardi didn't peak until his 8th/9th year and McDonagh despite never missing the playoffs once in his career and logging a TON of minutes was playing well as a 32/33 year old. We're going to get good value on this while he gets even stronger in his late 20's.
Agreed he will get better than he is now. I think experience helps a player like this a lot. I do think the wheels are gonna break down somewhere in his 30s, but it might not come until the very end of the contract.

I think it's a solid contract. It's the one contract of the three that I felt good about.

Not like I feel terrible about Cirelli's contract. Would have liked it to be a touch more team-friendly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad