Erie Otters 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks Puck Patrol, watched a bit of that, he looks like a very smooth player. Definitely reminds me of Travis Dermott. Excited to see what he can do this season, I hope they put him in the top 4 right away.

Has anyone heard anything about Ryan Alexander? We'll probably get a better indication of his intentions if he shows up to training camp.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hi all,

I’m sorry to go off topic but I don’t know who else would be qualified to answer this other than diehard Otters fans.

Earlier I posted about the only recent small guy playing with a top two-way center is Marchand with Bergeron.

This was in response to a Blackhawks poster saying DeBrincat can and should go on a line with Toews.

For fun I googled “DeBrincat Marchand” and stumbled across this article 2016 Draft Profiles: Little And Lethal

He will never be among the NHL's physical forces, but he's a lethal goalscorer who is more than capable of holding his own in physical battles despite his relatively small size and loves to get under the opposition's skin.

The Bruins (or indeed any team that drafts him) could have Brad Marchand 2.0 fall into their laps with DeBrincat - only Brad Marchand with talents skewed even more towards goalscoring.
This is from a few years back, but this guy saw DeBrincat as a future bulldog type player. I don’t know if we saw much of that gritty agitating play last year in the NHL, but could that be coming as he gets older and more confident?

Is this part of DeBrincat’s game?

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Hi all,

I’m sorry to go off topic but I don’t know who else would be qualified to answer this other than diehard Otters fans.

Earlier I posted about the only recent small guy playing with a top two-way center is Marchand with Bergeron.

This was in response to a Blackhawks poster saying DeBrincat can and should go on a line with Toews.

For fun I googled “DeBrincat Marchand” and stumbled across this article 2016 Draft Profiles: Little And Lethal

This is from a few years back, but this guy saw DeBrincat as a future bulldog type player. I don’t know if we saw much of that gritty agitating play last year in the NHL, but could that be coming as he gets older and more confident?

While Debrincat certainly can play fearless in terms of hits, grinding, and board play he doesnt agitate quite the way Marchand does. I also dont think Debrincat is as dirty of a player which is one reason Marchand is a successful agitator.
However I do agree Debrincat has the potential to play as a top line winger because of his ability to score.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Hi all,

Debrincat is not afraid of getting physical or playing the game on the edge.. he’s done it in the past and has shown he can have a hot head when provoked. Nothing to the extent of Marchand though.
Like Puck Patrol mentioned, Debrincat isn’t really looking for trouble or to play that dirty game. That being said, I do think he’s fearless and totally willing if or when he has to. It’s partly why I felt he would have a shot to be successful in the nhl. Yes he’s undersized but a) he has a knack for avoiding big hits and dangerous areas and b) he will play on the edge and shows either verbally or physically that he can handle it all.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
While Debrincat certainly can play fearless in terms of hits, grinding, and board play he doesnt agitate quite the way Marchand does. I also dont think Debrincat is as dirty of a player which is one reason Marchand is a successful agitator.
However I do agree Debrincat has the potential to play as a top line winger because of his ability to score.
Debrincat is not afraid of getting physical or playing the game on the edge.. he’s done it in the past and has shown he can have a hot head when provoked. Nothing to the extent of Marchand though.
Like Puck Patrol mentioned, Debrincat isn’t really looking for trouble or to play that dirty game. That being said, I do think he’s fearless and totally willing if or when he has to. It’s partly why I felt he would have a shot to be successful in the nhl. Yes he’s undersized but a) he has a knack for avoiding big hits and dangerous areas and b) he will play on the edge and shows either verbally or physically that he can handle it all.

Thank you guys for discussing this. It sounds like he has an ideal blend of grind to his game and can be aggressive and tough enough to play with Toews against top forward competition. I’m also happy to hear he he never had the dirty side that Marchand does, but is still willing to play to the edge.

I don’t think many Chicago fans knew this was part of his makeup. We saw his offensive and sniping ability a lot last year, and of course spent most time watching his offensive highlights from the OHL.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Longtime Hawks fan and DeBrincat fan since 2015 and I agree with both responses completely. He's not quite the agitator as Marchand and doesn't play with same level of physicality. He does have a bit of a temper though and I have seen him rise somewhat close to that level in Flint a couple times. I'm not sure if there was a particular player or reason but he was easy to ignite when visiting the Firebirds. Might just be playing close to home and in front of family. I was always wanting someone to get under his skin and set him off because the only way to for sure shut him down was to have him in the box.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
As a diehard Otter's fan and season ticket holder for 16 years, I can tell you that you guys nailed Alex to a "T". He reminds me of an African Honey Badger. He will get into a honey bee nest to get the honey (hence the term "killer bees" which are honey bees from Africa). The Honey Badger will attack a Puff Adder, take the bite, kill the snake, pass out, and then revive himself to eat his meal. This is Alex. He is fearless and will do whatever it takes to win the game. I saw him get cross checked 2 times in OS and knocked to the ice. He was pissed, so much so that he scored the winning goal. He is one tough nut.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Has anyone heard anything about Ryan Alexander? We'll probably get a better indication of his intentions if he shows up to training camp.

I haven't heard a thing since he left rookie camp. Tough get any information this time of year. I'm thinking Erie will find out a week before camp. Obviously if he doesn't attend that's not a good sign.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Niagara wins this trade everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

agreed. lodnia will score 30+ if he plays on akil's wing. nearly 60 point season playing on Erie. as for singer I don't see his production getting any better, maybe worse to a point where a 5th rounder doesn't cover it up. good trade for niagara

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
This is one of the most garbage trades erie has ever made at a time where we still need draft picks. I could care less about the player.. I don’t mind Erie getting Singer. Someone who put up 26 goals. Clearly a capable top 6/9 forward in this league and they will get that for 2 years. Lodnia on the other hand has 1 year left.

But my issue is the draft pick. Just one 5th rounder is absolutely ridiculous. Insane. If it were just one 2nd rounder I would be disappointed. Imo Singer and 1 second and 1 third would have been bare minimum starting point
The only explanation is Brown is either smoking something or Lodnia forced it. Let’s not forget lodnia has a no trade clause and probably gave Erie a limited list to work with.

This has nothing to do with tanking though so I don’t want to hear that. You can tank and trade lodnia for 4/5 picks and no player. Singer actually will provide some offense. I still had this team as a 7-8 seed finish and that was with the assumption that lodnia would be gone by October. That doesn’t change especially now with having a 45-50 point scorer to “replace” him.
Still though.. only one 5th for him.. embarrassing. And here I thought Dave was looking like he had a clue..

Roost

Apr 6, 2017
Erie
The only way this make sense is if Erie’s hand was forced. Maybe Ivan had only a few teams he would go to and Niagara was the only team with interest. I remember reading on here last season he might have requested to be moved.

This move definitely baffles me.

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
BD5578A6-85EF-47C5-8575-82B956871522.jpeg

This trade makes no sense at all, as posted earlier Erie needs picks not decent players and mid round picks. Lodnia was probably their biggest remaining trade chips, if you’re not getting 2nds for those, it’s gonna make the rebuild a lot longer!

Reactions: hockeynorth

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I have confidence in Dave Brown. I am certain that Lodnia forced his hand, thereby limiting Brown's options. It was clear to me that Lodnia did not want to be in Erie anymore. To be honest, I didn't like his effort last year. I believe that hindered what Dave could do with him. If I saw that in his game, I am sure that many others did too.

Reactions: CaptainBoyes16

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I have confidence in Dave Brown. I am certain that Lodnia forced his hand, thereby limiting Brown's options. It was clear to me that Lodnia did not want to be in Erie anymore. To be honest, I didn't like his effort last year. I believe that hindered what Dave could do with him. If I saw that in his game, I am sure that many others did too.
I don’t buy that.. even with limited effort he put up decent numbers on a young team that lacked top talent or experience and depth.
Yes he probably wasn’t emotionally as invested, but he still is a player capable of 30-40g and 80+ points. A 3rd round signed NHL pick. If I were another team trying to acquire lodnia, I would believe that if lodnia waived his NTC to come to my team and we were going to be a team competing for a title, I would not worry one bit about his effort.
He still should have gotten us one 2nd round pick, and one 3rd round pick a MINIMUM. Even if he had a list of 2-3 teams he would only go to. And even if those picks were in 2024. I don’t care. Erie should have gotten top picks for him. getting a bunch of picks in the 2022-2025 range would help for the next time Erie tries to “go for it”

Instead we wasted our last big player on this... someone who should have at least gotten us 2/3 good picks. Somehow we get absolutely nothing for him.
Even if Lodnia only said he would go to niagara for whatever odd reason then if I’m Dave and they don’t have many picks to work with, I’m saying “that’s okay.. we will take picks in 2026.. but we want picks”

This is the worst trade I have maybe ever seen Erie make. Bassin had some crap too but man this is at a time where Erie needs to be smart. They were 3/4 picks away in a lodnia trade and 2/3 in a Mak trade away from really putting themselves in a position to be good/great again in 2 years with draft picks restocked. Now, I’m going to believe this sets us back. It does.
And the only thing that will “Save” this garbage trade is Alexander getting signed, Mak getting traded for 3/4 higher picks, and Singer being a PPG, 25g player for the next 2 years
Or maybe Singer has great success and Erie flips him in January for 2 higher picks. Who knows. But this is the type of move that has me lose faith in Dave

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I had to come here just to check because I thought for sure the OHL Collective got the details of the trade wrong. The move makes almost no sense to me unless they flip Singer for picks later this year. Even then....

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I had to come here just to check because I thought for sure the OHL Collective got the details of the trade wrong. The move makes almost no sense to me unless they flip Singer for picks later this year. Even then....
Still makes no sense..
getting singer, one 2nd, one 3rd for Lodnia would have been acceptable for me. And then flipping Singer for another second/third come January would have been great.
There is no justification for this trade.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

If you can only get an older player than Lodnia and a 5th for Ivan Lodnia, you'd probably just get a 4th for Singer.....

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
If you can only get an older player than Lodnia and a 5th for Ivan Lodnia, you'd probably just get a 4th for Singer.....
That’s not entirely true. Every trade is different.
This is a August trade for a player who demanded he be traded and only to 2 teams. It’s different. It’s still a bad trade for Erie but Dave Brown has gone on record to say that he thinks high picks are overrated. I think this trade actually proves that Erie is trying to win more this year. Trying to make the playoffs and start building a winning culture again
Not a good trade but if Singer is on pace for 25g 25a come trade deadline time, yes he can easily get you 2 higher picks because he will certainly be an OA candidate. But that point is mute considering that Erie won’t be doing that. They added him to be a part of the team for the next 2 years

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Lodnia forced Brown's hand. He told Erie he wanted to be traded but then only gave them a list of two teams he'd accept a trade to. It sucks for Erie, it's bad value, but there's nothing else they could really do.

I've seen some rumors that Lodnia wasn't a very good teammate so this could be a positive for the young group this season.

Definitely hoping Maksimovich has a big season like Luchuk or Miletic and Erie moves him for a few picks.

Reactions: aresknights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad