Status
Not open for further replies.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
That’s the offseason they need.

Here’s a question for you EON? Do you just base the decision on whatever other teams offer for Mak?
Like if you are Dave Brown do you have this set value in mind that dictates whether or not you move him?
Because like I said, if I can get 2 seconds and 1 third (and assuming these draft picks are in the 2019-2022ish range) then I probably move him. That’s a pretty good get for him. Anything less and no chance I move him. And if I can get more..? Well then I move him in a heartbeat. But Brown probably has this value/price in mind.. “unless we can get 2 seconds+ .. I’m not moving him”

Yes I would agree with that. If he can land at least 2 seconds I'd move him I'd move him. If not I think he's more valuable as a leader for the young team.

I’m not sure what to think about Gpod/Patry. IMO Gpod has more potential and is much better offensively while Patry is better defensively. I agree they seem to be favoring Patry as the season played out but I really think Gpod is the better player on the ice. Off the ice who knows, maybe something has happened that I’m not aware of.

Any word on potential targets in the Import draft? Obviously Erie will be parting ways with one of the two before the draft.

I do agree that I think Poddubnyi has the higher potential but this past season was pretty disappointing and Patry played better in the 2nd half. I think they are leaning towards Patry being 3C this season, especially since he's a year younger. Haven't heard anything but it would be great if they can land a top 6 wing with their pick.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Yes I would agree with that. If he can land at least 2 seconds I'd move him I'd move him. If not I think he's more valuable as a leader for the young team.

I do agree that I think Poddubnyi has the higher potential but this past season was pretty disappointing and Patry played better in the 2nd half. I think they are leaning towards Patry being 3C this season, especially since he's a year younger. Haven't heard anything but it would be great if they can land a top 6 wing with their pick.
They could go in any direction with the import pick. A top 4 defenseman would be really interesting. Martin/Import, Duff/Drysdale.

OTTERSTOWN

Oct 19, 2015
They could go in any direction with the import pick. A top 4 defenseman would be really interesting. Martin/Import, Duff/Drysdale.
I usually don't post much here but I thought I'd add my two cents. We all know Dave Brown has some decisions to make with the upcoming import draft. Personally I like both Patry and Poddubnyi. Both have a lot of potential. When G-Podd was drafted Dave Brown really raved about him. Yes, he did not have a great sophomore season. He was bounced around with a variety of line mates throughout the year. He wasn't able to find any chemistry with anyone except Lodnia, Mak, Raddyish and Golod. Most times he had Ghiriny on his line. I do think with decent wingers on his line he could have 70-80 points this year. Patry on the other hand was healthy scratched a lot in the first 20 games or so. I did see improvement his game toward the end of the season. A positive for him is he has played on various Swiss National junior teams. If he adds some muscle to his frame he can be a very good Otters player for another 3 years. We currently have the 12th pick in the draft. In order to use that pick we have to trade or release one of the two. I don't think you can get more than a 6th round pick for either one. Now, I'm thinking out loud here... What would the value be for our 12th overall selection? Could a potential contending team that is drafting in the 50-6o range be willing to part with 2nd, 3rds or even an '01 player? You can even add conditional picks to the deal. At the #12 slot there could be a NHL 1st or 2nd round pick looking to come to the CHL. That's where the value is. I think if Dave Brown chooses to not open up an import spot for the Otters he may trade the 12th pick to a contender. Something to ponder. Now, if either Patry or Poddubnyi gets traded/released this is all a moot point. Patry may decide to stay in Europe or G-Podd gets U.S. citizenship also. Dave Brown has a good track record of selecting and signing imports the last few years. Only Anton Karlsson decided not to commit to the Otters. I don't think he is looking for a one and done player like Burakovsky. I'm hoping he finds a 17 year old winger that will be here for a few years.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
I usually don't post much here but I thought I'd add my two cents. We all know Dave Brown has some decisions to make with the upcoming import draft. Personally I like both Patry and Poddubnyi. Both have a lot of potential. When G-Podd was drafted Dave Brown really raved about him. Yes, he did not have a great sophomore season. He was bounced around with a variety of line mates throughout the year. He wasn't able to find any chemistry with anyone except Lodnia, Mak, Raddyish and Golod. Most times he had Ghiriny on his line. I do think with decent wingers on his line he could have 70-80 points this year. Patry on the other hand was healthy scratched a lot in the first 20 games or so. I did see improvement his game toward the end of the season. A positive for him is he has played on various Swiss National junior teams. If he adds some muscle to his frame he can be a very good Otters player for another 3 years. We currently have the 12th pick in the draft. In order to use that pick we have to trade or release one of the two. I don't think you can get more than a 6th round pick for either one. Now, I'm thinking out loud here... What would the value be for our 12th overall selection? Could a potential contending team that is drafting in the 50-6o range be willing to part with 2nd, 3rds or even an '01 player? You can even add conditional picks to the deal. At the #12 slot there could be a NHL 1st or 2nd round pick looking to come to the CHL. That's where the value is. I think if Dave Brown chooses to not open up an import spot for the Otters he may trade the 12th pick to a contender. Something to ponder. Now, if either Patry or Poddubnyi gets traded/released this is all a moot point. Patry may decide to stay in Europe or G-Podd gets U.S. citizenship also. Dave Brown has a good track record of selecting and signing imports the last few years. Only Anton Karlsson decided not to commit to the Otters. I don't think he is looking for a one and done player like Burakovsky. I'm hoping he finds a 17 year old winger that will be here for a few years.

You can't trade import draft picks. You can trade players acquired via the import draft after they have played in the league for a full season.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Well with Cuylle officially committing to Penn State I suppose he won’t be playing anywhere in the O. Probably for the best Erie keeps their picks anyway.

I also would think Erie will be going with a wing in the import draft. With the addition of Drysdale and their existing defense they have a bunch of young players with potential. Duff, Martin, Drysdale, Wainman, Henry, Beamish, and Timmermans is already going to be a bit of log jam for the bottom guys. Given that I would think they go wing but we will see.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
Penn State is rapidly becoming a destination of choice. Terry Pegula's newer arena, a rabid fan base, and the Penn State brand (mostly good) is going to be competition for everyone, both the OHL and the NCAA.

Reactions: Tarantula

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
Penn State is rapidly becoming a destination of choice. Terry Pegula's newer arena, a rabid fan base, and the Penn State brand (mostly good) is going to be competition for everyone, both the OHL and the NCAA.

There is still a chance Cuylle plays in the OHL as the commitment was verbal. Perhaps this could be a good thing and drive the price down to acquire him. Either way it seems unlikely but there is still a chance.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
There is still a chance Cuylle plays in the OHL as the commitment was verbal. Perhaps this could be a good thing and drive the price down to acquire him. Either way it seems unlikely but there is still a chance.

I'm willing to bet a fair bit that Will Cuylle never plays a game for Penn State.

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
I'm willing to bet a fair bit that Will Cuylle never plays a game for Penn State.

Wouldn’t be surprising if true based on what I’ve heard.
Not sure why the Pete’s took him when he told them he wouldn’t report ahead of time. Have to think Tolnai would have been a better pick but maybe he said no too.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Not sure why the Pete’s took him when he told them he wouldn’t report ahead of time. Have to think Tolnai would have been a better pick but maybe he said no too.
My guess is.. many of the top players told the Petes “no.” We know Cuylle and Drysdale did. I’m sure there were others, otherwise have to think they would have taken the 6-7th “ranked” player over this happening.

I’m assuming they took him because they felt they had a chance to convince him.. not sure. Doesn’t make a ton of sense and I’ll guess he ends up in the OHL one day. But maybe not. And if he never plays in the OHL, then the Petes wasted their 3rd overall pick. You could argue it’s worth taking him if you plan on trading him for 6/7 high picks. That makes more sense to me than taking a late first round talent just because he will report.
This is why erie sucked for a decade though. Sure it was on bassin and the management but a lot was on the players not reporting here. Erie was forced to take a the 15-20th best player with a top 5 pick, otherwise they would be left drafting a player that would never report to them. Tough spot to be in

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

a freind of mine works in the league and evidently he told all teams he was going to the ncaa, but who knows.

if tolnai was willing to report, its a really bad move. have to think that he would not, but still curious if theres anything factual to back it up either way.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This is why erie sucked for a decade though. Sure it was on bassin and the management but a lot was on the players not reporting here. Erie was forced to take a the 15-20th best player with a top 5 pick, otherwise they would be left drafting a player that would never report to them. Tough spot to be in

your 100 percent right, and as soon as brown showed up it was like night and day. he's been brilliant for you guys.

after this amount of time if the current managers cant reform the organizations reputation (its probably worse actually vs when dave ried was there), then its time for a change. petes need to find their own version of dave brown

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
My guess is.. many of the top players told the Petes “no.” We know Cuylle and Drysdale did. I’m sure there were others, otherwise have to think they would have taken the 6-7th “ranked” player over this happening.

I’m assuming they took him because they felt they had a chance to convince him.. not sure. Doesn’t make a ton of sense and I’ll guess he ends up in the OHL one day. But maybe not. And if he never plays in the OHL, then the Petes wasted their 3rd overall pick. You could argue it’s worth taking him if you plan on trading him for 6/7 high picks. That makes more sense to me than taking a late first round talent just because he will report.

I feel for the Pete’s fan, as you said it wasn’t that long ago Erie had the same issue. If your organization can develop players high end kids will come. Easier said than done plus some money is probably involved lol. I’m kidding, but not really.

Reactions: ottersguy

Puckit97

Apr 8, 2017
your 100 percent right, and as soon as brown showed up it was like night and day. he's been brilliant for you guys.

after this amount of time if the current managers cant reform the organizations reputation (its probably worse actually vs when dave ried was there), then its time for a change. petes need to find their own version of dave brown

I agree with you but it’s more than just the GM. When Erie had its problems yes Bassin was an issue but the coaching staff was awful as well. Ftorek and Sidorkiewicz were two coaches the game had passed by. Their style was built for hockey in the 1980s not 2000s. Because of that the team sucked and the players didn’t develop or even have the motivation to.
I don’t know much about the Pete’s coaching history but I would venture a guess a change needs to be made their as well.

Take Knoblauch for an example, joined the team in January and ended the year on a pretty good note given the previous record. He made an immediate difference for the organization.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree with you but it’s more than just the GM. When Erie had its problems yes Bassin was an issue but the coaching staff was awful as well. Ftorek and Sidorkiewicz were two coaches the game had passed by. Their style was built for hockey in the 1980s not 2000s. Because of that the team sucked and the players didn’t develop or even have the motivation to.
I don’t know much about the Pete’s coaching history but I would venture a guess a change needs to be made their as well.

Take Knoblauch for an example, joined the team in January and ended the year on a pretty good note given the previous record. He made an immediate difference for the organization.

it would be interesting to see if brown was chiefly responsable for the Knoblauch hire. i always got the vib that as soon as brown got there, he was the man.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

You could argue Dave Brown was the first step in turning things around. I believe he joined the team in 2011 as Director of Hockey Ops. I know Bassin still held the GM spot and ultimately made all the calls but Brown was getting more involved each and every year.
I think around this time Erie made some changes to their scouting department too? I could be wrong though. But by 2012 Erie started drafting very good. Their drafting since 2012 has been consistent easily in the top 5-6 teams.
2012 they managed Pettit (2nd), hodgson (3rd), Raddysh (5th), Dermott (9th)... and of course McDavid... The next key figure that helped get Knoblauch, allowing Erie to build a winning system and culture and ultimately opening the door to the majority of OHL players wanting or agreeing to play in Erie.

Brown was critical though. And he took over full GM mode in 2016 when bassin sold team. 2015-16 he made the perfect and right decision NOT to trade and go for it. Zero trades for a 50 win team? That’s unheard of. But he knew we were too young and lacked assets. Was patient and in 2016-17 when strome returned he made flawless trades for Murdaca, Corelli, Foegele. And then added Headrick. This past year? He got a fair and imo really good get for Raddysh/Sambrook. Especially since Raddysh said he would only go to SSM- yet we still managed Fowler and 6 high picks. Fowler looking like he could be special..

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Coaching and drafting are huge

You have to have a coach who knows what his system is and has a good one. Knoblach has a great system and Erie drafted according to it. Started drafting puck possession, quicker guys. That helped them develop players.

Hartsburg looks like potentially another gem. Bad start to the year in his first season but could easily be explained by so many new faces, a new system for all the players, and trade rumors floating around. Second half of the year though the team was like 11-14 (with some OT/SO losses added as well). That’s damn good for a team who had a rookie goalie, 3 rookie defensemen, and like 3/4 rookies playing top 9 minutes

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Coaching and drafting are huge

You have to have a coach who knows what his system is and has a good one. Knoblach has a great system and Erie drafted according to it. Started drafting puck possession, quicker guys. That helped them develop players.

Hartsburg looks like potentially another gem. Bad start to the year in his first season but could easily be explained by so many new faces, a new system for all the players, and trade rumors floating around. Second half of the year though the team was like 11-14 (with some OT/SO losses added as well). That’s damn good for a team who had a rookie goalie, 3 rookie defensemen, and like 3/4 rookies playing top 9 minutes

After the trade, Erie went 11-15-3

And wins were against:
FLT
NB
SBY
MISS
GUEx3
SAR
SAG
PBO
WSR

So other than the 1 Sarnia game, all wins were against teams who finished in the bottom half of the league. If they can keep beating the bad teams next year, that'd be big to getting back into the playoffs

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
After the trade, Erie went 11-15-3

And wins were against:
FLT
NB
SBY
MISS
GUEx3
SAR
SAG
PBO
WSR

So other than the 1 Sarnia game, all wins were against teams who finished in the bottom half of the league. If they can keep beating the bad teams next year, that'd be big to getting back into the playoffs
Why is that an issue that they only beat bottom teams? I know they had a few competitive games vs top team, like the Soo.

But that’s what young rebuild teams have to do. Win their bad games. I will guess you watched them play 0-2 games in the second half of the year.. I can speak from my watching them all year- they were a much better team in the second half of the year. Don’t care who you play, when you are that young, that inexperienced, and your 3rd best forward is maybe Max Golod (a rookie), and you have a new coach - going 11-15-3 is great. Also, by 2nd half of the year, aren’t there really only 6/7 good to top teams?

Anyways, I hope you aren’t dismissing what they did in the 2nd half. It was pretty good with all factors considered. Also lost Girhiny and Martin (their best defender) for most of the last half of the season due to injury. I believe lodnia missed 5-6 games as well. They did good. But the basic point was that Hartsburg appears to be heading in the right direction with the team..

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Why is that an issue that they only beat bottom teams? I know they had a few competitive games vs top team, like the Soo.

But that’s what young rebuild teams have to do. Win their bad games. I will guess you watched them play 0-2 games in the second half of the year.. I can speak from my watching them all year- they were a much better team in the second half of the year. Don’t care who you play, when you are that young, that inexperienced, and your 3rd best forward is maybe Max Golod (a rookie), and you have a new coach - going 11-15-3 is great. Also, by 2nd half of the year, aren’t there really only 6/7 good to top teams?

Anyways, I hope you aren’t dismissing what they did in the 2nd half. It was pretty good with all factors considered. Also lost Girhiny and Martin (their best defender) for most of the last half of the season due to injury. I believe lodnia missed 5-6 games as well. They did good. But the basic point was that Hartsburg appears to be heading in the right direction with the team..

i dont think he was taking a shot or dismissing, simply pointing out that they had success and if they do that again and win the games they should, they'll have decent year. could be wrong but thats how i read it.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
i dont think he was taking a shot or dismissing, simply pointing out that they had success and if they do that again and win the games they should, they'll have decent year. could be wrong but thats how i read it.
Sorry if I misread. Had a negative tone to me but you could spin it either way
If his point was what you say, then yes I agree. As 3 dog said, you need to first win the games you should before worrying about the harder games

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Erie will start the 18/19 season at home for the 1st time in franchise history. They open vs. Flint.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I just printed the schedule for the Otters. There are lots of Saturday night/Sunday afternoon tilts. I like it!

Reactions: ZinErie

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Looks like a pretty favorable schedule for boosting attendance numbers and it's awesome they finally get to start at home.

Hopefully the team plays well to continue fanbase growth! Making the playoffs would be nice.

Reactions: Tarantula
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad