Erie Otters 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Sorry if this has already been answered.. So with Dave Brown being named as the new GM, does that mean Sherry B is just going to be owner or is he just gonna sell the team and not have anything to do with the team anymore

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Sorry if this has already been answered.. So with Dave Brown being named as the new GM, does that mean Sherry B is just going to be owner or is he just gonna sell the team and not have anything to do with the team anymore

Sherry is gone. Already sold team and no longer has an ties to the organization other than the title of former GM and owner but going forward he is done in Erie

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Dermott has looked quite good in the showcase even going on right now....

Admittedly I haven't watched the entirely of the series, but from what I've seen, I've been impressed.

I could be eating my words concerning his chances of making the Canadian Junior team - wouldn't that be fantastic as a Leafs fan!

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Dave brown already starting off bad. Williams just came off one of the worst years I have seen a goalie play on a contending team. If Dekoning wasn't a rookie and a better option in terms of talent then Williams would have been benched. The reality is he sucked all year. Played above average against SSM I'll give him that but was never good in back to back games at any other point.
I will now always blame about 70% of that teams undoing in the finals on Williams playing piss poor and Bassin being dumb to not address the goalie at the deadline. He imo has worn out his welcome in Erie with terrible performances and with Dekoning and Lawr/point??? What are you doing Dave Brown!? The only way I settle for them keeping Williams would be if other overage options weren't to pleasing and if you traded Dekoning because having Lawr and Point not play any ohl games in what could become 3 years in the junior system would be a waste. Lawr as a second round pick in 2014 needs to and should be ready to be a backup this year to get about 15-20 games under his belt. They have the offensive youth and a few bright prospects on defense to be really good in 2-3 years... And Lawr is a big part of that in net but he won't reach potential if he isn't even on roster full season until he is 19 years old.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I wouldn't put too much into the report by Dave Brown. When you think about it, Dave can't throw the kid under the bus before the season even begins. It will be Devin's position to keep. I do like our prospects goalie-wise.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Maybe Otters Fans are interested to hear that Jakob Mayenschein is currently playing for the German U20 team in a tournament in the Czech Republic.

Yesterday he scored 2 goals when Germany lost 3-4 to the Czech team in OT.
He was also named best player of his team.

Today they play Switzerland and tomorrow in their final game they will face Slovakia.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Maybe Otters Fans are interested to hear that Jakob Mayenschein is currently playing for the German U20 team in a tournament in the Czech Republic.

Today they play Switzerland and tomorrow in their final game they will face Slovakia.

good to hear, thanks for the info.

Do you think he will make the team and have a role on the team? The Otters have a hole in the top six but quite a mess in the bottom six right now.

GetOutDaKitchin

Jul 24, 2013
Looks like Tyler Hostetter would like to come back to Erie one day...
http://lititzrecord.com/sports/hostetter-joins-flyers-legend-behind-the-bench/

Really hope that Brown's endorsement of Williams is simply a front before a solid trade partner is found. That OA spot needs to go elsewhere. Betz should be a lock. Murphy's versatility and experience should get him in as well. Then, if Jake Marchment doesn't go pro, keep him as well. It's Dekoning's net now.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
good to hear, thanks for the info.

Do you think he will make the team and have a role on the team? The Otters have a hole in the top six but quite a mess in the bottom six right now.

That is difficult for me to say, since I have only seen him play myself on very few (3 or 4) occasions. And I know very little about the Otters' roster.

I can only guess based on past performances from German Imports in the OHL and how I would rate Mayenschein compared to them.

Based on that I am not sure he will be able to really perform in a top 6 this season. I could see him playing on the 3rd line and provide a little scoring here and there.
I am pretty sure he has the work ethic and compete level to play efectively in the bottom 6.

But again, don't put too much stock in my assessment since it is mostly based on stat watching.
In the end it will come down to how well he adjusts to playing in North America.

I wish I could offer more of an insight.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Just a short update:
Mayenschein went scoreless in the second game as Germany was routed 6-1 by Switzerland, but he hat 2 assists in the final game when Germany beat Slovakia 5-3.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Just a short update:
Mayenschein went scoreless in the second game as Germany was routed 6-1 by Switzerland, but he hat 2 assists in the final game when Germany beat Slovakia 5-3.

Again thanks for the update. Glad to hear he had a good tournament. Looking forward to seeing him in training camp, he certainly sounds much more promising than last years second import pick (Igor Vladykovsky, cut second day of camp).

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Patrick Murphy traded to Sudbury for a conditional 15th in 2018. No idea what the condition is. Down to four overagers:

RW Nick Betz
LW Mason Marchment
RC Jake Marchment (if returned by LA)
G Devin Williams

defense now looks like:

Dermott-Cernak (pending LA sending him here)
Fergus-Raddysh
Egan-Byrne

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
Patrick Murphy traded to Sudbury for a conditional 15th in 2018. No idea what the condition is. Down to four overagers:

This is a bit disappointing. I understand the need to get the O/A numbers down but to only get a conditional 15th rd 3 yrs from now is a head scratcher. My guess is that the condition is him reporting to Sudbury. I would've thought such a versatile player could bring just a tad more than that. Brown is not off to a good start IMO with this move and the decision to keep Williams around.

the dog

May 16, 2014
This is a bit disappointing. I understand the need to get the O/A numbers down but to only get a conditional 15th rd 3 yrs from now is a head scratcher. My guess is that the condition is him reporting to Sudbury. I would've thought such a versatile player could bring just a tad more than that. Brown is not off to a good start IMO with this move and the decision to keep Williams around.
they got him cheap...Niagara icedogs traded Brian Brosnan to kit we got 4th rd and 5 rd....they had almost same amounts of mins played per game..

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Yeah this is an ugly start. I hope Williams is in fact moved out, and this team needs another vet dman back there. Not sure Fergus is ready yet and I dont want to see two rookies back there.

Would explore a J Marchment for Varga swap with Peterborough.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Yeah this is an ugly start. I hope Williams is in fact moved out, and this team needs another vet dman back there. Not sure Fergus is ready yet and I dont want to see two rookies back there.

Would explore a J Marchment for Varga swap with Peterborough.

Where do I sign?! :D

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
According to Vic's twitter, the condition is in fact that he reports to Sudbury. Interesting, considering that if he explores other options like CIS, the Otters will get nothing in return and will essentially just turn into a released player.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Hate to see Murphy go but you never know what Brown has cooking. I guess it's better to get some moves going now rather than wait.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
According to one of his tweets, it appears Murphy's reporting. I like Murph, but he's not a top 6 forward or top 4 man. As an overage, that's about what you can expect in return.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I would have thought at least a 6th round pick in 2016. The guy is versatile and has big experience.
Agree with the above, bad start for Brown.
Most would have booted Williams (which looks like he is keeping), kept Betz- solid 2/3 middle line player, kept Muphy- valuable experience on a backend that will be young (he trades him) and then I would have waited on J. Marchment to decide that 3rd OA spot

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
personally, I'd give the third spot to Mason regardless. I think he has a lot of room to grow and I'd like to see a M. Marchment-Strome-Betz top line, those guys seemed to work well together. Lots of size there. I would also like to see DeBrincat play center, and I think Pettit will fill Jake's role very well this season, lead PK and faceoff guy. Just my opinion though, who knows what Brown is up to.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
I think this is "change". I'd be willing to bet if Bassin was in charge, Murphy wouldn't have been traded, at least not this early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad