Erie Otters 2015-16 Season Thread (part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
DeBrincat back to back 50 goal seasons, incredible.

Yes great achievement for sure. As a London fan you have to recognize others not just the Knights. However let's hope he goes scoreless from here on out!:laugh:

KnightsFanSince98

Mar 8, 2016
London
Yes great achievement for sure. As a London fan you have to recognize others not just the Knights. However let's hope he goes scoreless from here on out!:laugh:

Absolutely the kid deserves props. Last year I thought it was a fluke because on McDavid playing along side him but he did it again, and grinded it out. Despite his ups and downs, Congrats.
Yes I hope he hits another funk as a Knights fan.:sarcasm:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Absolutely the kid deserves props. Last year I thought it was a fluke because on McDavid playing along side him but he did it again, and grinded it out. Despite his ups and downs, Congrats.
Yes I hope he hits another funk as a Knights fan.:sarcasm:

I think Mcdavid missed about 20-25 games last year and when he did Debrincat averaged a point per game and had same scoring pace, often without being on a line with Strome. Having a 50 win hockey team benefited his stats a bit more but he is the same dangerous shooter as last year and that definitely didn't change

KnightsFanSince98

Mar 8, 2016
London
I think Mcdavid missed about 20-25 games last year and when he did Debrincat averaged a point per game and had same scoring pace, often without being on a line with Strome. Having a 50 win hockey team benefited his stats a bit more but he is the same dangerous shooter as last year and that definitely didn't change

Great player no question. As a Knights fan I hate him. Just like McDavid (aka Knight Killer) did as an Otter. Now I love him that he's an Oiler with whom I follow closely since I was a kid.
I am fan, passionate fan. And am able to give credit where its due.
Nice goal he scored in the first btw. He has seen a lot of ice in that first period. Hope his cardio is above average to keep up to the Knights rolling 4 lines out there.

ZinErie

Nov 12, 2013
Listening to London's radio broadcast. During 1st intermission they're talking about the 77 Knights team and one of the players they mention is Steve Stockman. He later played professionally for the Erie Blades and Goldenblades and also in Flint.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Honestly, pretty good game from the Otters. Thought they outplayed London even strength tonight, special teams just let them down big time. Would say Parsons outplayed Williams as well.

Dirty, dirty play by McDonald, can't believe the refs missed that. Should definitely get suspended.

Well, still can take 1st with a regulation win tomorrow night. Gonna be tough on the back end of a three in three.

KnightsFanSince98

Mar 8, 2016
London
Honestly, pretty good game from the Otters. Thought they outplayed London even strength tonight, special teams just let them down big time. Would say Parsons outplayed Williams as well.

Dirty, dirty play by McDonald, can't believe the refs missed that. Should definitely get suspended.

Well, still can take 1st with a regulation win tomorrow night. Gonna be tough on the back end of a three in three.

Did you watch the same game I did?
I saw a very tired Erie team who crumbled under a relentless forecheck and pressure!!

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa

Macdonald, third star of the game? For what? Getting away with an elbow to the head? E-I-E-I-O

Dale Hunter Hockey, keeping it classy. :shakehead

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Yes we did get one over on you tonight but wow we are truly fortunate to have these 2 Teams to watch! Bring on tomorrow night I'm sure it will be another great game. To bad London or Erie weren't hosting the Memorial Cup this year. Would be nice to see them battle it out with both of them there.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Macdonald, third star of the game? For what? Getting away with an elbow to the head? E-I-E-I-O

Dale Hunter Hockey, keeping it classy. :shakehead

Yeah I saw that, gave me a chuckle. It's like when the Flyers picked Ray Emery as a star a few years ago for jumping another goalie that didn't want to fight.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

I was at the game but missed the MacDonald incident. What did he do? To whom?

ottergolfer

Jan 27, 2013
I was at the game but missed the MacDonald incident. What did he do? To whom?

he planted his right elbow pad in Hopkins face hayden was down on the ice bleeding from the nose/mouth area and then helped off the ice
from what i am hearing no review will be called for by the Otters

as for the strome bashing on your board ..yes he did lose his cool and slash and cross check the kid ... but in the corner before he was called he took a couple slashes and grabs from the same guy ..... and then the camera was on him on the bench (knights player ) and he is laughing and poking the player beside him in ha ha type move....
great if you can get away with it but players have great memories and i am betting he get a few more hacks ...

great game by two tough teams look for a full house Sat with the Pierre Turgeon loving Dale haters in full voice

first is only worth something if it is what you are at the end of the Playoffs

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Whatever happens, let's hope we're treated to another great game tonight and maybe another great 7 games in the conference final.
Congrats to the Otters on 3 straight 50 win seasons. Quite the impressive accomplishment.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
he planted his right elbow pad in Hopkins face hayden was down on the ice bleeding from the nose/mouth area and then helped off the ice
from what i am hearing no review will be called for by the Otters

as for the strome bashing on your board ..yes he did lose his cool and slash and cross check the kid ... but in the corner before he was called he took a couple slashes and grabs from the same guy ..... and then the camera was on him on the bench (knights player ) and he is laughing and poking the player beside him in ha ha type move....
great if you can get away with it but players have great memories and i am betting he get a few more hacks ...

great game by two tough teams look for a full house Sat with the Pierre Turgeon loving Dale haters in full voice

first is only worth something if it is what you are at the end of the Playoffs

You got that right.

I have a relative who's maiden name is the same as the "Great coach from up North" she says he's a black mark on the family name....:laugh:

We need more Wideman's & Rinaldo's in the world......:shakehead

Going to be a great game tonight, the house will be rocking.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
I think Strome was alright to be frustrated. From the scuffle in front that led to just dermott going to the box to macdonald getting away with a bit of a cheap shot- the team should be frustrated. They played a solid game but when calls start to go against you then it becomes frustrating. As for the macdonald hit. I didn't like it. Marchment in playoffs last year got 10 games -playoff games-for going up high on Marner. Marner got hurt so 10 games. Macdonald blasts Hopkins in the face with a sucker punch if that's what you call it and Hopkins is banged up. But because Hopkins isn't a star player and came back it will be 0 suspension. Sad that this league acts over agressive and then under aggressive on such similar occurrences. Erie is a classy organization that wasn't going to hold Hopkins out to force suspension and isn't going to complain about it because they know the way it goes. They won't play a cat and mouse game. Won't be called. But gosh it's somewhat similar to what Bracco did, to Hopkins as well. Bracco was a crosscheck to neck but still both aggressive in nature and uncalled for. Bracco got 5. Hopkins returned in that game. To me the macdonald incident should be 2-4 games considering history. This league is so inconsistent it drives me nuts and it's hard to watch. I'll see something similar in the next year and an Erie guy will get 2 games. Maybe 6 games. Who knows with this league. You want to protect players, protect head injuries, avoid dirty players then you have to be more consistent. If guys feel about half the time they won't get punished for their antics well then 16-20 year olds riding on testosterone and aggressiveness will keep it up. I get it, calls on the ice made by refs and injuries should dictate length of suspension. But just because a player doesn't get hurt does that mean a hit or incident wasn't dangerous or hurt enough? The intention was still there, maybe Hopkins just got lucky. And still got some nose bleed or stitches.
Sorry for the rant but it bugs me. Because similar scenarios have gotten 1 game all the way to 8-10 games. Have some type of system in place with punishment. Please

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
On to tonight. Obviously big game. I would love to see Erie win but considering going into year I thought 30-40 wins would be impressive, I won't be disappointed. I was pretty accurate in my prediction last night. London is just too good at home, always have been. You can play your best and be the best and they still a tough place. And if Erie would have increased their 1-0 to 2-0 or their 2-1 lead to 3-1, then I think they win. I believe it will be sold out tonight. So that helps. I'll say the same as last night, first goal wins. Except I was wrong last night. For Erie its key to get that lead. Williams has to play big. Honestly I don't think he has played poorly lately but hasn't played tremendous either. Isn't helped by defense with some wide open goals. He needs to be good. Anything more than 3 goals won't get it done. Now if Erie plays like last night but builds bigger leads (meaning special teams shows up) they will be fine. The crowd in Erie can get nasty so up by 2 goals and London might take some dumb penalties.
It's a toss up. But I have to believe in the home team so I'll say Erie wins 5-3 with empty net to seal it late. The keys to this game is all special teams. Have to win that battle. Have to.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
You got that right.

I have a relative who's maiden name is the same as the "Great coach from up North" she says he's a black mark on the family name....:laugh:

We need more Wideman's & Rinaldo's in the world......:shakehead

Going to be a great game tonight, the house will be rocking.

Good point, you'd never find any players like that (or e.g. a Luke Gazdic playing for Erie). Oh, wait a second... :amazed:

knowthegame

Jan 15, 2013
Erie is in the playoffs? How did that happen? I'm guessing that they gave a crap a couple of months ago. Making excuses for their poor play is hilarious. Bad refs, sickness, injuries or team leaders who don't lead are all the same things that all teams deal with. Eries captains need to step up and quit playing beer league hockey. Erie is a tough barn to play in on a good day, tonight is going to be rocking and will be bad if the boys don't play their best. I think I will wear my blinders tonight and blame someone else.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
8 seats left for tonight's game, so obviously, will be a complete sell out. Hopefully a loud, playoff-like atmosphere can help rally the team. Very tough game tonight on the back end of a three in three. Starting to show improvement but still not playing their best right now imo, while London is rolling. Hoping for the best.

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015
I think Strome was alright to be frustrated. From the scuffle in front that led to just dermott going to the box to macdonald getting away with a bit of a cheap shot- the team should be frustrated. They played a solid game but when calls start to go against you then it becomes frustrating. As for the macdonald hit. I didn't like it. Marchment in playoffs last year got 10 games -playoff games-for going up high on Marner. Marner got hurt so 10 games. Macdonald blasts Hopkins in the face with a sucker punch if that's what you call it and Hopkins is banged up. But because Hopkins isn't a star player and came back it will be 0 suspension. Sad that this league acts over agressive and then under aggressive on such similar occurrences. Erie is a classy organization that wasn't going to hold Hopkins out to force suspension and isn't going to complain about it because they know the way it goes. They won't play a cat and mouse game. Won't be called. But gosh it's somewhat similar to what Bracco did, to Hopkins as well. Bracco was a crosscheck to neck but still both aggressive in nature and uncalled for. Bracco got 5. Hopkins returned in that game. To me the macdonald incident should be 2-4 games considering history. This league is so inconsistent it drives me nuts and it's hard to watch. I'll see something similar in the next year and an Erie guy will get 2 games. Maybe 6 games. Who knows with this league. You want to protect players, protect head injuries, avoid dirty players then you have to be more consistent. If guys feel about half the time they won't get punished for their antics well then 16-20 year olds riding on testosterone and aggressiveness will keep it up. I get it, calls on the ice made by refs and injuries should dictate length of suspension. But just because a player doesn't get hurt does that mean a hit or incident wasn't dangerous or hurt enough? The intention was still there, maybe Hopkins just got lucky. And still got some nose bleed or stitches.
Sorry for the rant but it bugs me. Because similar scenarios have gotten 1 game all the way to 8-10 games. Have some type of system in place with punishment. Please

That game was close to playoff hockey but will get a lot tighter than that as rounds add up. As for the calls none calls Strome would be considered in the same boat as the head hit as he slashed then cross checked more then once to a prone player on the ice. Like the old saying two wrongs don't make a right but you can't call for a sup. and not expect your player to get one as well.

It is only reg season and neither team can afford to go into playoffs with injured players. First or third i think these two teams will meet again down the line :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
That game was close to playoff hockey but will get a lot tighter than that as rounds add up. As for the calls none calls Strome would be considered in the same boat as the head hit as he slashed then cross checked more then once to a prone player on the ice. Like the old saying two wrongs don't make a right but you can't call for a sup. and not expect your player to get one as well.

It is only reg season and neither team can afford to go into playoffs with injured players. First or third i think these two teams will meet again down the line :handclap::handclap::handclap:

The difference is Strome was engaged with McDonald. Mcdonald sucker punched (elbowed) Hopkins.

Still, agree that Strome was on thin ice there. Probably should have got a double minor.

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Good point, you'd never find any players like that (or e.g. a Luke Gazdic playing for Erie). Oh, wait a second... :amazed:

How about Herring? I saw some moves from him that made my skin crawl. Liambas? Anyone that's been around for a little while know what happened with him. We've had our share of "bad boys", None the product of Knoblauch coaching. Dale has no business "influencing" teenagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad