Ericsson: What's it going to take to get him off the top pair?

Actual Thought*

Didn't look too hot in the meltdown last game.

You can point to the standings and how they're doing in the regular season but all that dictates is the seed they'll be at. You can point to how they won against X team for ONE game. That's great and all, it shows they can beat them, no doubt. But it is no indicator of how well they'll do in the playoffs or if they can beat X team in a seven game series.

Playoff hockey is a different animal than regular season hockey. If you're going to stroll into the playoffs hoping that one or two defenseman and a couple forwards can pick up all the defensive slack you might get exposed. If you're going to stroll into the playoffs with Quincey being your second best defenseman you might get exposed. That's no knock to Quincey, he's been playing great. But he shouldn't be your second best defenseman.

This team isn't in a bad spot to make a run but they aren't primed to win a Stanley Cup either. I think it's rather silly to pretend otherwise.

Actually the regular season is quite a good predictor of success in the playoffs and it isn't that they have beaten pretty much every good team they have played. It is how they have beaten them.

I disagree that Q is our 2nd best d. Vehemently disagree.

What does the bold part even mean?

Really thought last year would hammer this home for people. Guess not.
Last year they limped into the playoffs having gotten some bodies back at the eleventh hour. How is that in any way comparable to now?

Really thought last year would hammer this home for people. Guess not.
Consider this.

If you keep it tight 5 on 5.

Kill penalties.

Score on your PP.

Play fast.

Get good timely goaltending.

What will be the result of any series? This team is built to win playoff series. Specifically to win playoff series. You would think watching some games against top opponents would hammer that home for some people.

Last edited by a moderator:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Actually the regular season is quite a good predictor of success in the playoffs and it isn't that they have beaten pretty much every good team they have played. It is how they have beaten them.
Which is why, in the past 20 years, the #1 seeds have only matched up in the finals once. And on that list you'll see #4 seeds, #7 seeds, #8 seeds littered in there. The regular season doesn't predict what teams will do in a seven (7) game series. There are far too many variables that come into play for playoff hockey.

I disagree that Q is our 2nd best d. Vehemently disagree.
That's fine. I rarely see Quincey make a mistake. I really can't say that for anyone else not named Kronwall. So IMO he's the second best defenseman, right now, but that could very well change.

What does the bold part even mean?
That counting chickens before they hatch is foolish. To act as if the Red Wings is a clear favorite to win the Stanley Cup is a bit premature. That they're playing good enough to make a run but it's not like they're playing mistake free hockey every game. They rarely score the first goal. They always come from behind, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but you don't want to make a habit of it. But they have. They could add a PMD to solve some of the problems on the back-end. They aren't primed. I can go on and on but it won't really matter so I'll just stop there.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think this is the point in the season where players transition. It's weird to think of how often you can split the season into two halves for players. Some guys like Quincey turn it around. Some guys like Ericsson decide to get worse.

Actual Thought*

Which is why, in the past 20 years, the #1 seeds have only matched up in the finals once. And on that list you'll see #4 seeds, #7 seeds, #8 seeds littered in there. The regular season doesn't predict what teams will do in a seven (7) game series. There are far too many variables that come into play for playoff hockey.

That's fine. I rarely see Quincey make a mistake. I really can't say that for anyone else not named Kronwall. So IMO he's the second best defenseman, right now, but that could very well change.

That counting chickens before they hatch is foolish. To act as if the Red Wings is a clear favorite to win the Stanley Cup is a bit premature. That they're playing good enough to make a run but it's not like they're playing mistake free hockey every game. They rarely score the first goal. They always come from behind, which isn't exactly a bad thing, but you don't want to make a habit of it. But they have. They could add a PMD to solve some of the problems on the back-end. They aren't primed. I can go on and on but it won't really matter so I'll just stop there.

You skipped right past the way they have played against top teams. Nobody could say for sure they are going to win the cup but they have a very good shot. If their special teams hold they will be very hard to beat in a series.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You skipped right past the way they have played against top teams. Nobody could say for sure they are going to win the cup but they have a very good shot. If their special teams hold they will be very hard to beat in a series.

Our record against the current playoff teams is 9-2-4-6.

9 wins in regulation
2 OT wins
4 OT/SO losses
6 regulation losses

Not a bad record at all, when considering that 4-on-4 overtime and shootouts will disappear at the playoffs.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013

9 wins in regulation
2 OT wins
4 OT/SO losses
6 regulation losses

Not a bad record at all, when considering that 4-on-4 overtime and shootouts will disappear at the playoffs.

We also had a good record against Boston in the regular season last year and then lost 4-1 in the series.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
We also had a good record against Boston in the regular season last year and then lost 4-1 in the series.

- Datsyuk and Zetterberg both healthy.
- Quincey now a steady, dependable defensive presence.
- Smith has really improved his game defensively.
- Plus the addition of Ouellet.
- Nyquist and Tatar both 30+ goal guys (at least so far).
- Sheahan playing great too.
- Weiss is at least a useful, somewhat productive player now.
- Howard is having a great season.
- Killer PKers in Glendening and Miller, Helm and Co. aren't too shabby either.
- Finally, our PP is pretty good.

Let's not sit here and pretend like this year's team isn't significantly better than last year's for a multitude of reasons. Last year they were struggling for a playoff berth, now they're fighting for top spot in the conference. Huge difference.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
you missed his point.

he's saying regular season and playoffs are different animal.

Not really, though.

We limped into the playoffs last season and limped out of them. This season is totally different. It's not only about regular season record, there are factors in play this season that are much more favorable for a playoff run.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not really, though.

We limped into the playoffs last season and limped out of them. This season is totally different. It's not only about regular season record, there are factors in play this season that are much more favorable for a playoff run.

Like a weaker East in general and better health up front. With how the East is constructed, I don't doubt that with a favorable matchup and a bounce or two that we could make the finals in pretty much any given season. I don't think we stand a chance against a team like the Hawks or Kings if they are clicking, though.

We could just as easily get a matchup that can exploit our weak blueline, though, and trap us in our own zone for several shifts at a time. I'm not going to really like this team until we get a one or two more D that can reliably move the puck up out of the zone and not treat the thing like a hand grenade.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not really, though.

We limped into the playoffs last season and limped out of them. This season is totally different.

Last season we collected points mostly against the non-playoff teams. That's a sign of a weak and desperate team.

At this season, totally different, we have beat top teams and have attitude problems against weak teams. Just like Chicago does. Sign of a real contender with confidence by themselves. That's how we were on our glory days. Played at the level of the opposite team. Contenders will always act like that.

Actual Thought*

9 wins in regulation
2 OT wins
4 OT/SO losses
6 regulation losses

I just don't see a reason for such pessimism. There are so many good indicators of playoff success. In those 9 wins they played fast, stingy hockey. They dominated most of them. I very much look forward to the playoffs. Once again the Wings are on the rise and set up for continued consistent success.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ericsson since the all-star break

1 G, 2 A, 3 PTS, +5 in 5 games played

I thought it was crucial he picks his game up, and at least temporarily, it looks like he has. IF we make no trades (still hope we do), then Ericsson and Smith need to round into from over the home stretch.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I thought it was crucial he picks his game up, and at least temporarily, it looks like he has. IF we make no trades (still hope we do), then Ericsson and Smith need to round into from over the home stretch.

Ericsson has been one of our better D-men, these past 5 games. Agreed. According to my scoring system.

Actual Thought*

I think more than any deal you can make you need your players to play like they can in order to make a run. E is a veteran player. I think you can expect him to bring his A game in the playoffs. Smith is fiery. If he can contain his emotions and focus on his game he should be fine.

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
I think Ericsson is a solid D-man. I think he would be worth his contract if the Wings drop him off the top pairing. I just think he's out of his depth skill for skill a lot of the times.

That's not a slight towards him, however. He was 9th rounder, and picked as a forward. He's turned into quite the player for the Wings.

If they can even get more capable top 4 D-man to replace Ericsson's on the top pairing? All of the sudden, the Wings' defense just got that much better. Not because they bolster the top pairing. But I think Ericsson would make the 2nd, or 3rd pairing that much better. From there...Babcock has options.

You just need that one player that can compliment Kronwall...and somebody that Kronwall doesn't need to babysit, so he can start laying people out/start shooting like he used to. And THAT will help the Wings in a huge way.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

I'd want Smith moved at the deadline for picks so XO and Marchenko can be our 3rd pairing come playoff time. Kindl cant be moved till he has 1 year left. But Smith under rfa control for 2-3 more years should have some value (like a 4th or 5th rounder).

However that is the only move I would want the wings to make at the deadline. I trust Kenny's prospect development system. the defensive players actually available do not entice me at all to give up prospects that are currently in GR.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd want Smith moved at the deadline for picks so XO and Marchenko can be our 3rd pairing come playoff time. Kindl cant be moved till he has 1 year left. But Smith under rfa control for 2-3 more years should have some value (like a 4th or 5th rounder).

However that is the only move I would want the wings to make at the deadline. I trust Kenny's prospect development system. the defensive players actually available do not entice me at all to give up prospects that are currently in GR.

Not sure I want that 3rd pairing for the playoffs. XO started out great, but his game has fallen off a bit of late.

Smith elevated his game big time in the playoffs last year, not sure I want to ship him out to play 2 rookies. If so, they both need to show more than they have so far IMO.

Actual Thought*

I think that my be just a tiny bit low. :sarcasm:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think more than any deal you can make you need your players to play like they can in order to make a run. E is a veteran player. I think you can expect him to bring his A game in the playoffs. Smith is fiery. If he can contain his emotions and focus on his game he should be fine.

I very much agree with this. We need to maximize our efforts from what we currently have, whether we make an addition or not. Good thing is it looks like Ericsson and Smith are taking a step in the right direction.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

Two rookies as our 3rd pairing? No thank you.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Like a weaker East in general and better health up front. With how the East is constructed, I don't doubt that with a favorable matchup and a bounce or two that we could make the finals in pretty much any given season. I don't think we stand a chance against a team like the Hawks or Kings if they are clicking, though.

We could just as easily get a matchup that can exploit our weak blueline, though, and trap us in our own zone for several shifts at a time. I'm not going to really like this team until we get a one or two more D that can reliably move the puck up out of the zone and not treat the thing like a hand grenade.
We played the Hawks and led the series 3-1.
I do not think the problem vs west is that they Are strong teams there, it is more that those teams were designed to beat the Wings. We do not have that problem in the East, not yet at least.
I think we can beat one west team, but not 2.
I think Smith should not contain his emotions, he just has to ride them the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad