Eric Wellwood

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Still in recovey, but here's a nice story about him in the Windsor Star:

Former Windsor Spitfires forward Eric Wellwood is back in familiar territory.

Recovering from a potential life-threatening injury suffered in April, Wellwood has hooked up with his former junior team to aid the Spitfires and his recovery.

“I had a talk with him a few weeks before camp,” Spitfires head coach Bob Boughner said. “I asked him if he had any interest in being an eye in the sky and sort of develop as a coach/mentor.”

Five months into his recovery, he is walking without a limp and says he’s already been back skating.

“I’ve been out seven or eight times, but it hurts a lot,” Wellwood said. “I’d say it’s 60 per cent to what I used to be and that’s not terrible.”

He has been told his recovery could take between nine months and a year, but he refuses to put a timetable on returning to pro hockey.

Wellwood rehabs five days a week from one to three hours and with the rest of the time he’s happy to help his former junior team, which he helped to back-to-back Memorial Cup titles.

“My friends are either gone to school or back playing hockey,” Wellwood said. “This is a good way to stay in it and learn the other side.”

It’s not costing the Spitfires a cent because the Flyers tendered a contract offer to Wellwood to retain his rights. He signed an AHL deal and could leave at any time.

RJ8812*

should just cut him loose. waste of a contract spot

or did he even sign his QO?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
should just cut him loose. waste of a contract spot

or did he even sign his QO?

He signed a minor league contract during the summer. He was tendered a QO, the Flyers hold his NHL rights. He has to sign a contract prior to December 1 to be eligible to play in the NHL this season.

RJ8812*

He signed a minor league contract during the summer. He was tendered a QO, the Flyers hold his NHL rights. He has to sign a contract prior to December 1 to be eligible to play in the NHL this season.

ya, he definitely shouldn't be given an NHL contract

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think the Flyers are doing him a solid. If he's cut lose, the guys on his own to recover. This way he has the help of a professional team. This is pretty typical of the Flyers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think the Flyers are doing him a solid. If he's cut lose, the guys on his own to recover. This way he has the help of a professional team. This is pretty typical of the Flyers.

Exactly. Even if he doesn't get a contract with the Flyers, it doesn't look like he just fell off the professional hockey map.

Wixztor

Mar 30, 2013
Reckon he would have been useful for us these past few games, much like Rinaldo has been looking decent thanks to his speed; standing out that way from the garbage that has been our forward corps. Though he'd probably be playing in Adirondack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad