Speculation: Eric, Ward, Skinner on trading block?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
After reading the first post in this thread, my first reaction was: "Oh great, now we have to read months worth of Leafs proposals", but at least I thought I could stay off the main trade board to avoid them.

What's funny is Impeach Estaalo in post #9 predicted almost perfectly what a Leafs' fan would offer. :laugh:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
You may not take the package of Kadri/Gardiner/1st/Prospect but Kadri is not overhyped, Gardiner is not overrated and just because a prospect is nameless to you doesn't mean that he won't be very good. Whatever the asking price is for Staal, if he were to be available this summer, you can bet your ass the Maple Leafs will be in on it.

So in the event that it miraculously happens, I'd get to know other players around the league. Just in case they end up as Canes. It's evident that you don't with your comments about Kadri and Gardiner. Neither are superstars but Kadri would be 3rd in team scoring for you guys and Gardiner would be the most promising defenceman in your organization not named Justin Faulk or Andrej Sekera.

Kadri's a nice second liner but nothing more. Would be 4th on our current roster in points/game. That's more a testament to how outright ineffective our scoring beyond our top end players has been this season then anything else. This team has been a complete 180 compared to last year in all the wrong ways. Trading away our #1 offensive player without getting a guy back that projects to maybe be on a similar level long term does nothing to alleviate that.

Gardiner is overrated, future 2nd pairing guy maybe but he's not more promising then either of those two you just named or Ryan Murphy, so #4 on the long-term depth chart here... and that's assuming we don't draft someone like Fleury with the #(whatever it ends up being) this year. Could VERY easily see him bumped down to #5 on our long-term depth chart, he's not a guy you build around.

Hate to tell you, but unnamed prospect probably IS going to suck unless unnamed prospect is Reilly. Same way unnamed prospect from the Canes probably would suck if they weren't one of Lindholm, Murphy, or McGinn.

Mid-late first would do nothing for us.

You're offering up two quarters and two dimes and telling us that's change for a dollar. Unless we're going all-in on the tank Edmonton style it doesn't work like that.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
But that's the thing though. An offer like that is probably going to be near the top in what's offered. It reminds me of the Joe Thornton trade a bit.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
But that's the thing though. An offer like that is probably going to be near the top in what's offered. It reminds me of the Joe Thornton trade a bit.

Biggest difference there is that Stuart was already a top pairing guy in his prime at the time of that trade. Don't get me wrong, if we're making a move with one Staal or Skinner we need to be moving them for futures. But I do get where you're coming from.

I just don't think Toronto has the pieces to be considering without including Reilly in the deal, he'd be the equivalent of SJ giving up Stuart.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
@DarrenDreger
As discussed last night on Insider Trading...big options ahead for the Carolina Hurricanes. Ward trade likely in the summer. Other names...

@DarrenDreger
..either Skinner or E.Staal also potentially in play. All depends on gm J.Rutherford's future and his decision to move up, stay same or out.

@DarrenDreger
Potential player changes, coaching changes, management changes. So much to consider in Carolina this summer.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So in other words, Dreger just speculating (EITHER Skinner OR Staal POTENTIALLY in play.

When a team underperforms, aren't most everyone (Coach, Mgmt, Players) POTENTIALLY in play?

The only thing noteworthy to me in this is the comment about Rutherford. This would be the first time I think I ever heard anything about him not being GM any longer.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Everyone is always potentially in the play and if the price is right anyone can be traded.

One positive thing about these news is that they may light a spark for the players to prove their worth to the team.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
The only thing noteworthy to me in this is the comment about Rutherford. This would be the first time I think I ever heard anything about him not being GM any longer.

Luke has spoken in deliberately uncertain terms about JR's future. He isn't quite calling for his head, but he's openly questioning whether he should still be in charge.

Whether Jim Rutherford remains general manager after this season or not – and surely owner Peter Karmanos must realistically assess whether Rutherford is still the right man for this job – he is still in charge at the deadline, and his mandate must be to best prepare the ground for the future.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/03/3671000/decock-at-deadline-no-reason-for.html

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One positive thing about these news is that they may light a spark for the players to prove their worth to the team.

You mean so they can win meaningless games this year and get a worse draft pick? :sarcasm:

Sparking them to play better when the season is basically over isn't a positive IMO. Getting them to play better when it counts (next year) is what matters, and I'd be surprised if this news will have any impact on that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Luke has spoken in deliberately uncertain terms about JR's future. He isn't quite calling for his head, but he's openly questioning whether he should still be in charge.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/03/3671000/decock-at-deadline-no-reason-for.html

Yep. And one thing I will say about Luke is that, like him or not, he's at least not afraid to take a swipe at the hornets nest. Even when he was just the beat writer he wasn't afraid to call em like he seems em, but that's gone to another level when he took over as sports editor.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
You mean so they can win meaningless games this year and get a worse draft pick? :sarcasm:

Sparking them to play better when the season is basically over isn't a positive IMO. Getting them to play better when it counts (next year) is what matters, and I'd be surprised if this news will have any impact on that.

It's about the time for that, isn't it? :laugh:

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Yep. And one thing I will say about Luke is that, like him or not, he's at least not afraid to take a swipe at the hornets nest. Even when he was just the beat writer he wasn't afraid to call em like he seems em, but that's gone to another level when he took over as sports editor.

Honestly, I liked reading his articles better when he didn't sound like some of the perpetually negative posters we have on HF. But to be fair, the last few years have given him reason to be like that.

On the other hand, there is value in having at least one guy in the local sports media who's not afraid to call anyone out, especially given the laissez faire, country club atmosphere surrounding this team. Chip is a good resource, but he's never going to stir the pot. I guess Mike Maniscalco drops hints (along with Forslund when he comes on after the games), but Luke is the only guy who doesn't pull his punches.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Going Full-On "jeremeo87" here:

From EDM-Nugent Hopkins, Eberle, Nurse, 2014 1st

From CAR-Staal Bros, Sekera

Commence Re-build!!!

Reality-Ward hopefully gets moved over the offseason w/ us retaining a sizeable chunk of change, Staals stick around and Skinner is moved for M Staal in Rutherford's last ditch attempt at the playoffs...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Honestly, I liked reading his articles better when he didn't sound like some of the perpetually negative posters we have on HF. But to be fair, the last few years have given him reason to be like that.

On the other hand, there is value in having at least one guy in the local sports media who's not afraid to call anyone out, especially given the laissez faire, country club atmosphere surrounding this team. Chip is a good resource, but he's never going to stir the pot. I guess Mike Maniscalco drops hints (along with Forslund when he comes on after the games), but Luke is the only guy who isn't afraid to pull his punches.

Oh no doubt. It's funny though that his tone in writing has basically paralleled the turns this fanbase has made. I don't remember much that he wrote basically from 06-09 that wasn't at its base pretty positive. Always with the tone that there's just one or two missing items when there was something to complain about. That we had pieces on the way up eventually that would just slide into place when the time came and that this could be a perpetually competitive team with the right tweaks.

Thing is it never got better long term... in fact it got worse... a lot worse. Cam got the experience and turned into the top 10 goalie everyone expected (until injuries caught up to him) but the defense became a ****show. The core forwards stuck together but the depth got absolutely decimated to the point that it didn't even matter, and we had scrubs like Tim Conboy playing well more then just a handful of games here simply because he was the only one willing to do that role. We had guys like Chad LaRose going from hungry 4th liner with drive, who was one of the best agitators in the sport when he was at his best, to having to entirely change his game because we had nobody else even remotely capable of playing in the top 6 outside MAYBE Boychuk if we wanted to go full Oilers.

In a sense his jadedness and willingness to not pull a punch has 100% reflected this fanbases willingness to do the same here on HF. And no, before the #conspiracys start, I'm not Luke, anyone that's met me can tell you that much. However I still might be #satin :laugh:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I heard Elliot Friedman (I think) on NHL
Radio wonder aloud that the JR to Francis transition might happen this summer. Of course I could have given you the same information with zero sources so who knows.

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
i can also confirm daveg is #satin. he wears sepcial helmet in hocky games for his #horns.

But you're right, he is a pretty good barometer of the fanbase. Wonder how long it'll be before he goes from negative to apathetic. Can a sportswriter be apathetic?

jbkellner

Jun 18, 2007
Canes Country
This is something that just came to me, when someone mentioned a seemingly "untogether" culture in the locker room. Gleason, supposedly, was asked by Muller to fight more, and he didn't want to. His contract was an albatross, so shipping him out wasn't controversial.

Similarly, Ruutu had a bad contract. He also, supposedly, didn't get along with Muller. His trade didn't really stir up any bad feelings, because again he was on the downside.

Now, it's being talked about that Ward (also, supposedly an anti-Muller guy) and E Staal and Skinner are being shopped.

--- snip ---

Can you elaborate on the parts I've bolded? Where did you hear about Ruutu and Ward "supposedly" not getting along and being anti-Muller? I can certainly understand neither being happy with ice time getting cut but you make it sound like there was more to it behind the scenes than that.

Also, I thought the opposite was true with regard to Gleason and dropping the gloves (see this - link - for instance).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Hello canes fans,

I would like for my favorite team to acquire one or more of your star players who are rumored to be available.

I am willing to offer anything other than my teams star players and top prospects.

Let's make a deal.

Oh, you don't like my offer? Well Eric Staal is an overpaid bum, Cam Ward is an overrated has-been, and Jeff Skinner is an injury prone figure skating midget. You'd be lucky to even get what I'm offering.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Hello canes fans,

I would like for my favorite team to acquire one or more of your star players who are rumored to be available.

I am willing to offer anything other than my teams star players and top prospects.

Let's make a deal.

Oh, you don't like my offer? Well Eric Staal is an overpaid bum, Cam Ward is an overrated has-been, and Jeff Skinner is an injury prone figure skating midget. You'd be lucky to even get what I'm offering.

Dear sir Jim Rutherford,

I have been requested by the Toronto National Petroleum Company to contact you for assistance in resolving a matter. The Toronto National Petroleum Company has recently concluded a large number of contracts for Stanley Cup exploration in the sub-Canada region. The contracts have immediately produced moneys equaling US$40,000,000. The Toronto National Petroleum Company is desirous of Stanley Cup exploration in other parts of the world, however, because of certain regulations of the Canadian Government, it is unable to move these funds to another region.

You assistance is requested as a non-Canadian citizen to assist the Toronto National Petroleum Company, and also the Central Bank of Canada, in moving these contracts out of Toronto. If the contracts can be transferred to your name, in your United States account, then you can forward the funds as directed by the Toronto National Petroleum Company. In exchange for your accommodating services, the Toronto National Petroleum Company would agree to allow you to retain 10%, or US$4 million of this amount.

However, to be a legitimate transferee of these moneys according to Canadian law, you must presently be a depositor of at least one Staal brother in a Toronto bank which is regulated by the Central Bank of Canada.

If it will be possible for you to assist us, we would be most grateful. We suggest that you meet with us in person in Boca Raton, and that during your visit I introduce you to the representatives of the Toronto National Petroleum Company, as well as with certain officials of the Central Bank of Canada.

Please call me at your earliest convenience at 18-467-4975. Time is of the essence in this matter; very quickly the Canadian Government will realize that the Central Bank is maintaining this amount on deposit, and attempt to levy certain depository taxes on it.

Yours truly,

Prince Dave Nonis

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Dear sir Jim Rutherford,

I have been requested by the Toronto National Petroleum Company to contact you for assistance in resolving a matter. The Toronto National Petroleum Company has recently concluded a large number of contracts for Stanley Cup exploration in the sub-Canada region. The contracts have immediately produced moneys equaling US$40,000,000. The Toronto National Petroleum Company is desirous of Stanley Cup exploration in other parts of the world, however, because of certain regulations of the Canadian Government, it is unable to move these funds to another region.

You assistance is requested as a non-Canadian citizen to assist the Toronto National Petroleum Company, and also the Central Bank of Canada, in moving these contracts out of Toronto. If the contracts can be transferred to your name, in your United States account, then you can forward the funds as directed by the Toronto National Petroleum Company. In exchange for your accommodating services, the Toronto National Petroleum Company would agree to allow you to retain 10%, or US$4 million of this amount.

However, to be a legitimate transferee of these moneys according to Canadian law, you must presently be a depositor of at least one Staal brother in a Toronto bank which is regulated by the Central Bank of Canada.

If it will be possible for you to assist us, we would be most grateful. We suggest that you meet with us in person in Boca Raton, and that during your visit I introduce you to the representatives of the Toronto National Petroleum Company, as well as with certain officials of the Central Bank of Canada.

Please call me at your earliest convenience at 18-467-4975. Time is of the essence in this matter; very quickly the Canadian Government will realize that the Central Bank is maintaining this amount on deposit, and attempt to levy certain depository taxes on it.

Yours truly,

Prince Dave Nonis

Well done sir.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Can you elaborate on the parts I've bolded? Where did you hear about Ruutu and Ward "supposedly" not getting along and being anti-Muller? I can certainly understand neither being happy with ice time getting cut but you make it sound like there was more to it behind the scenes than that.

Also, I thought the opposite was true with regard to Gleason and dropping the gloves (see this - link - for instance).

I too would like to know where the a Gleason part came from. Did Gleason not want to fight after he ruptured his ear drum in a fight during the pre-season?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'd be very surprised if the Canes traded Staal.

1) They just got his brother
2) He has a NTC
3) His Cap hit (and Salary) would make it difficult for any team that he wanted to go to (because of his NTC) to be able to fit him in without said team sending a lot of salary back, which kind of defeats the purpose.
4) Like it or not, he is the face of the franchise.
5) Can't see the return he'd get back (because of his salary) would make a trade worthwhile.

I'm not saying I am against trading him for the right deal (whatever that is), but I just don't think it's likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad