Speculation: Eric Staal

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Marc's the only one of the 3 that hasn't won a Cup, so I could see him leaving money on the table to sign with a contender and have a shot to win.
True, but I don't think Carolina would be the team. Obviously TB is gonna win again next year, lol. Depending on who they lose in the expansion draft maybe SuperStaal could sign for league min. Would be pretty funny.

He is a serviceable 3rd pair D. Despite being slow, he did a pretty good job of covering Stecher's frequent mistakes.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
True, but I don't think Carolina would be the team. Obviously TB is gonna win again next year, lol. Depending on who they lose in the expansion draft maybe SuperStaal could sign for league min. Would be pretty funny.

He is a serviceable 3rd pair D. Despite being slow, he did a pretty good job of covering Stecher's frequent mistakes.

Tampa almost makes too much sense... They'll need some cheap depth and they already seem to love former Rangers Dmen (Stralman, Girardi, McDonagh, Shattenkirk).

Considering the Canes are still a competitive team, I don't think they are out of the realm of possibility, but I would think Marc would be signing for closer to what his market value is (and maybe with another year of term) rather than taking a friendly discount.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
No more vets on one year deals to flip at the TDL for mid rd picks.

It's time SY puts his stamp on the DRW by bringing in actual talent designed to be here for years, not solely rentals.

No ryan, no gagner, no Staal, no Staal, etc.

I feel like, with the rumors of Bert being trade bait, and the lack of discussion of the Wings targeting any UFAs, Yzerman is looking at completely burning out the last of Holland's legacy and starting from scratch. It might be another four years before you really start seeing what Yzerman's "mark" is. I feel like the Wings are going to miss a significant chance if they let their cap advantage this, and next, off-season go to waste.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I feel like, with the rumors of Bert being trade bait, and the lack of discussion of the Wings targeting any UFAs, Yzerman is looking at completely burning out the last of Holland's legacy and starting from scratch. It might be another four years before you really start seeing what Yzerman's "mark" is. I feel like the Wings are going to miss a significant chance if they let their cap advantage this, and next, off-season go to waste.

Four more years of dreadful hockey, signing vets to cheap 1 year deals in hope's to flip for 5th rd draft picks, only to draft 6th OA would be awful

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Larkin, Vrana, Bert, Fabbri, Seider, Veleno, Rasmussen, Zadina, Erne, Namestnikov, Hronek is a pretty damn good group of guys. If you can add one top pair D, a starting goalie, and another top-six guy you have a roster that could make it pretty far into the playoffs. Target Jones, Hamilton, Martinez over the next year, target Werenski for trade or signing next off-season. You could easily build this info a strong roster in two years, mostly made up of guys under 29.

I don't understand why Yzerman is dragging this out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad