Hockey Fights: Eric Staal vs. Dion Phaneuf

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Starting a fight after a legal check? Should have ended up with a PP for Toronto.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Starting a fight after a legal check? Should have ended up with a PP for Toronto.

It did. Staal wound up with 2 minutes extra for roughing. It's not explained in the segment from the video but when they show the boxes at 1:00, you see Carolina's Chris Terry (#25) in the box with Staal. Terry served the roughing portion of the penalty. The subsequent faceoff is also a 5-on-4, so yes, the sequence ended in a Toronto PP.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It did. Staal wound up with 2 minutes extra for roughing. It's not explained in the segment from the video but when they show the boxes at 1:00, you see Carolina's Chris Terry (#25) in the box with Staal. Terry served the roughing portion of the penalty. The subsequent faceoff is also a 5-on-4, so yes, the sequence ended in a Toronto PP.

Thanks, good to hear.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
"This is why Dion Phaneuf will never win a popularity contest in the NHL... and quite honestly if he was on Family Feud, no where near the most popular player in the league"

:laugh: :laugh: what a goof

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Damn, and I thought our PBP was bad. The homerism is strong in those two. How did they feel about Eric Staal trying to lace a puck at Dion at the end of the game like a punk?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Man. That announcing is some of the worst I've heard.

Blindside. Not near the puck. An insane mention of Family Feud that literally made no sense.

Just bad.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
lol dion. deer in headlights...then realizes its a guy that rarely fights and game on ha! good to not see the usual dion backdown

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Phaneuf is a terrible fighter, it's tough to watch. There's just nothing behind his punches....it's like his arm is made of rubber.

Tyler Biggs*

Lmfao he beat up both brothers on 1 play. Huge hit then drops Eric

Mar 12, 2009
Man. That announcing is some of the worst I've heard.

Blindside. Not near the puck. An insane mention of Family Feud that literally made no sense.

Just bad.

I got what he meant, but it was still very laughable and silly. He meant that if "who is the most popular player in the NHL?" was asked on Family Feud, he wouldn't be the number one answer. He was so snarky and salty over a clean play and was apparently mad that Phaneuf was body checking players all game, and therefor does not sit at the popular table in the NHL cafeteria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad