Value of: Eric Staal to Columbus

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
To get Minnesota to move him?

A first round pick plus a reasonable projectable prospect.

The Wild are climbing back into a playoff position and Staal is on a sound contract for another year. They don’t really have a center that could truly fill his top 6 center role next year so it would need to be something that would incentivize Minnesota to make a move. I’m not certain Staal would be too keen on moving however.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Reportedly, Boston's offer last year was their 1st and (I think) Wagner. He was a rental at the time, but he's got the same cap hit this year and is signed through next year as well. His production hasn't been suffering much this year, despite the team's performance. I'd think something in the same neighborhood would be reasonable.

Realistically though I think Minnesota's unlikely to trade him unless they have some secret plan to acquire a different center this summer.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Staal also denied the trade last year. Don't think he gets moved.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
As a Minnesota fan who has a limited knowledge of Columbus, it seems they are pretty close to having the same needs and positions of perceived depth in which to deal. The parts that Columbus would be interested in moving really isn’t going to move the needle for the Wild to move their only current top 6 six center on roster this year and next.

Add to that the assets that Columbus moved last year, I don’t see why they would be interested in moving the draft capital that the Wild would require to move Staal. He’d honestly probably fit in well with Columbus but I just don’t see a trade to be made.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Unless Minnesota suddenly starts playing like crap again, Guerin will keep the group together until the summer! We are 3points out of playoff.

I also dont think Columbus will pay price of 1st & prospect! Wild also need a c so unless guerin has a plan to acquire one Magically, don't see him traded

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Doesn't make sense...cbj aren't wanting a short term answer...and Minnesota isn't looking to move him

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Doesn't make sense...cbj aren't wanting a short term answer...and Minnesota isn't looking to move him

this actually makes a tonne of sense. Columbus is on fire but they need a C upgrade. They could do damage in the playoffs. Minny needs to rebuild and moving one of their many 33+ year old guys would be a start

Staal for 1st+Milano

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
this actually makes a tonne of sense. Columbus is on fire but they need a C upgrade. They could do damage in the playoffs. Minny needs to rebuild and moving one of their many 33+ year old guys would be a start

Staal for 1st+Milano

Minnesota isn't rebuilding. If you actually look at Minnesota roster it's impossible! Wild are trying for playoff this year and especially next year.

Wild aren't trading Staal unless they find a c for Kaprizov and 1 more c.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Milano is a LW. MN has 14 of them. If I was MN I would want a 2020 1st plus another pick, or a C/G prospect.

Staal actually now has a lower cap hit this year (and next, 3.25M) than in the previous 3 years(3.5M), which makes him a bargain.

In general, though, he is NFS, as MN is beginning to creep up into playoff contention. Even if they fall out of it, they still need top 6C's next year. Hard to beat his cap hit/production ratio.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Milano is a LW. MN has 14 of them. If I was MN I would want a 2020 1st plus another pick, or a C/G prospect.

Staal actually now has a lower cap hit this year (and next, 3.25M) than in the previous 3 years(3.5M), which makes him a bargain.

In general, though, he is NFS, as MN is beginning to creep up into playoff contention. Even if they fall out of it, they still need top 6C's next year. Hard to beat his cap hit/production ratio.

& wild not only in playoff spot like you MN mentioned, but staal is like the only legit c on wild right now

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We've had the conversation before, and the consensus has generally been that what assets we can give the Wild don't need, and what assets they do need we can't or won't give up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will say this. CBJ's 1st, is likely to be earlier than, say, BOS. Makes it more valuable.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Can he play wing ? If so and he would waive...pitt would offer a 1rst forbthe cup run. Sid and Eric played together before . He would be a solid key addition

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
How nice of him. Not entirely his choice.
His family lives in Edina, MN and his birthplace is a 6 hour drive from St. Paul MN to Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Can’t get any closer to home then to play for the Minnesota Wild.
I believe Eric Staal will retire as a wild player.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
His family lives in Edina, MN and his birthplace is a 6 hour drive from St. Paul MN to Thunder Bay, Ontario.

Can’t get any closer to home then to play for the Minnesota Wild.
I believe Eric Staal will retire as a wild player.

Still not entirely his choice. He can block a trade to 10 teams if the Wild want to move him, and where his family lives has nothing to do with it.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Still not entirely his choice. He can block a trade to 10 teams if the Wild want to move him, and where his family lives has nothing to do with it.
Eric Staal is still a productive player putting up 20 goal, 50 point seasons for being 35 years old and on a steal of a deal at a 3.25 hit.

Staal also leads the Wild in points (40) 2nd in goals (17) and assists (23) and leads all forwards on the team in average time on ice.

As others have said Minnesota is not deep at center and trading the only capable top 2 center on the team after Koivu retires would put Guerin in a predicament if they can’t get a top 6 forward preferably a center via trade or free agency.

Minnesota has tried Parise, Kunin, Donato and Hartman at center but that hasn’t worked. Rask and Ericsson EK are bottom 6 centers nothing more. There really isn’t a reason to trade Staal this season.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ya it is actually, he can retire. I don’t see it likely that Staal is moved.

Reactions: Fro

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Eric Staal is still a productive player putting up 20 goal, 50 point seasons for being 35 years old and on a steal of a deal at a 3.25 hit.

Staal also leads the Wild in points (40) 2nd in goals (17) and assists (23) and leads all forwards on the team in average time on ice.

As others have said Minnesota is not deep at center and trading the only capable top 2 center on the team after Koivu retires would put Guerin in a predicament if they can’t get a top 6 forward preferably a center via trade or free agency.

Minnesota has tried Parise, Kunin, Donato and Hartman at center but that hasn’t worked. Rask and Ericsson EK are bottom 6 centers nothing more. There really isn’t a reason to trade Staal this season.

Parise and Hartman have never been tried at center.

Eriksson Ek might be a little more than you're saying.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Parise, Hartman have never been tried at center. Donato and Kunin have spent maybe 10 games there this season combined. Eriksson Ek is on pace for 40 even strength points at 23, which puts him with guys like RNH, Johansen, Giroux, Hischier, W. Karlsson, T. Johnson; there's probably more there than a "bottom 6 center and nothing more."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad