Confirmed with Link: Eric Staal signs With Minnesota (3 yr, 3.5 AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J22*

why not let the season play out first? Novel thought I know, but damn, so many of you are ready to pack it in because Fletch didn't sign Crosby and Ovie and Malkin.

It must be miserable to be so angry about something that hasn't even happened yet.

Sounds just like the last 3 years where the hope was Granlund stepping up and actually being a top 6 center?

Like I said, I am now the biggest Staal fan there is, but I can't help but feel that i've seen this movie before.

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
but you can't predict who will mesh well with others, dude could be a missing part to helping us out big time, or he is a flop. to make instant judgements on things because it feels familiar is silly.

Above all else, we didn't give him Backes terms. I am alright with that much.

J22*

but you can't predict who will mesh well with others, dude could be a missing part to helping us out big time, or he is a flop. to make instant judgements on things because it feels familiar is silly.

Above all else, we didn't give him Backes terms. I am alright with that much.

You could slot Jarrett Stoll into the 1st line center spot and say the exact same things. Some people have seen enough of Staal over the last few years to know that this is a pretty risky move at best. Add in Fletcher's track record when it comes to aging stars, and i'm not sure how you can't be pessimistic?

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I hope it works out, but I'm not expecting much. Still pretty cool to see his name a Wild jersey

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
You would lose that bet. Badly

What are the next powerball numbers? You seem to be psychic.

Keep in mind the Oilers wanted DUMBA and a 2nd. Supposedly, in your mind, they could have just upped the ante by replacing Dumba with Spurgeon but they did not.

I'm excited to see how Staal plays out here in MN.

J22*

What are the next powerball numbers? You seem to be psychic.

Keep in mind the Oilers wanted DUMBA and a 2nd. Supposedly, in your mind, they could have just upped the ante by replacing Dumba with Spurgeon but they did not.

I'm excited to see how Staal plays out here in MN.

You don't have to be psychic to know that Spurgeon is currently more valuable than Dumba. The gap in actual talent and potential talent is just too big IMO. If you were to make the same claims about Dumba - Brodin, I could definitely see how some would value Dumba more despite Brodin currently being better.

As far as the Oilers go. I think Chiarelli wanted a RHD and Fletcher told him that Spurgeon wasn't available for RNH. I have no problem with that train of thought. I do think Dumba + a 2nd would've been a fair deal, and I do think Spurgeon should've been made available if Hall's name came up.

I too am excited to see Staal play now that this is clearly the path that Fletcher has chosen. But, since they don't play for another 3 months, I figured this might be a good place to discuss other options that could've happened?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
You don't have to be psychic to know that Spurgeon is currently more valuable than Dumba. The gap in actual talent and potential talent is just too big IMO. If you were to make the same claims about Dumba - Brodin, I could definitely see how some would value Dumba more despite Brodin currently being better.

As far as the Oilers go. I think Chiarelli wanted a RHD and Fletcher told him that Spurgeon wasn't available for RNH. I have no problem with that train of thought. I do think Dumba + a 2nd would've been a fair deal, and I do think Spurgeon should've been made available if Hall's name came up.

I too am excited to see Staal play now that this is clearly the path that Fletcher has chosen. But, since they don't play for another 3 months, I figured this might be a good place to discuss other options that could've happened?

I'm not saying that there isn't that disparity. I'm merely stating that draft pedigree and potential clearly play a part. Larsson has been subpar, (especially) considering where he was drafted.

Everyone knows what Spurgeon is. Dumba COULD be the next PK Subban, Brett Burns, or Cam Barker. Nobody knows where he will end up, but the potential is there. Some teams will gamble on that possibility. And theoretically speaking, being a 1st round draft pick gives him a better opportunity to become PK Subban than people taken later in the draft. (Duh)

J22*

I'm not saying that there isn't that disparity. I'm merely stating that draft pedigree and potential clearly play a part. Larsson has been subpar, (especially) considering where he was drafted.

Everyone knows what Spurgeon is. Dumba COULD be the next PK Subban, Brett Burns, or Cam Barker. Nobody knows where he will end up, but the potential is there. Some teams will gamble on that possibility. And theoretically speaking, being a 1st round draft pick gives him a better opportunity to become PK Subban than people taken later in the draft. (Duh)

Funny you use those 3 for examples. Barker went 3rd overall, Burns was a mid 1st rounder and Subban went in the 2nd round.

I agree that where a guy is drafted will play a role in how he's percieved, I just don't think it's nearly as important as you do.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
JEE and Kunin could be here by 2018 honestly, as well as Greenway and Tuch could be in his 2nd full year. Belpedio is an option as well.

Better hope so, because Koivu will be about done, Parise slowing down, Pominville likely bought out, and Staal ...?

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Well. The price is good, kudos for Fletcher for staying calm and not overpaying for free agents. But is Staal really a top-6 center at this point in his career? Judging by things said by Canes fans, he's not. Add to that his tendency to go into bouts of lazy and uninspired play and I'm worried.

We pay him like a 3rd line center which he probably is. So who will center Parise and Coyle then? They will get heavy minutes. If, and this is a big if, Staal can still play like a 2nd line centerman, this was a good signing. If not, we still have hole for a top-6 center. Let's hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder and can be a good presence for us, at least for one season. I hope for the best but just can't bring myself to get excited about Eric Staal in 2016.

Slick Willy*

It's almost like you can point to a specific moment in time where his career took a turn, and bringing up anything that happened before that moment is pretty much pointless?

Whatever. :facepalm:

You seem to know EXACTLY how Staal will perform, don't you?

A quite confident poster you are around here. How come you're not in the Wild's front office? :shakehead

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal has very similar career stats to Gaborik, including games played. He has played about 160 more games than Koivu and Parise.

He has played one more career game than Andrei Markov.

J22*

Whatever. :facepalm:

You seem to know EXACTLY how Staal will perform, don't you?

A quite confident poster you are around here. How come you're not in the Wild's front office? :shakehead

I'm sorry, would you like me to be less confident?

I never said I knew EXACTLY how Staal will perform, but bringing up career stats and seasons that happened years ago seems like a silly way to justify the signing. Anybody that takes the time to go to Hockeydb or eliteprospects can see that the player you're talking about was pretty much ended by Alex Edler.

Slick Willy*

I'm sorry, would you like me to be less confident?

I never said I knew EXACTLY how Staal will perform, but bringing up career stats and seasons that happened years ago seems like a silly way to justify the signing. Anybody that takes the time to go to Hockeydb or eliteprospects can see that the player you're talking about was pretty much ended by Alex Edler.

More happy about this pick up than the Vanek signing years ago.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
You are aware that it's been all but confirmed by a couple of the top hockey writers that the deal was in fact Dumba +2nd for RNH, right? You saying it's "bunk" or the Wild "wouldn't or couldn't" do it, doesn't change the facts.

So if thats the report on what the deal was, and the deal didn't happen.

Doesn't that make 57 spot on? The Wild wouldn't or couldn't do it, and they didn't.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'll be curious to see if he can stay healthy and productive. West Conf is a lot harder to play in than East.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
when we first brought in cullen i thought he could score 20G, guess what he didn't. we will be lucky if staal rebounds & nets 20G. vanek only had to improve by 2 to get 20 this year. staal has to add 7. not mission impossible but im from the show me state. (not really) zucker has a better chance to rebound to 20 than staal.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
when we first brought in cullen i thought he could score 20G, guess what he didn't. we will be lucky if staal rebounds & nets 20G. vanek only had to improve by 2 to get 20 this year. staal has to add 7. not mission impossible but im from the show me state. (not really) zucker has a better chance to rebound to 20 than staal.

Very true, but I don't think that those who are happy with the deal are thinking he will score 20 goals. At least, I'm happy with the deal, and I don't think he'll have that kind of a bounce-back.

For 3.5 million, with all of the other stuff he brings to the table (good face-off game, board play, possession and decent playmaking), scoring 20 goals would make him a bargain. I expect he'll score about 15 while putting up 25 assists, and being a solid, but not spectacular center, which is what his pay would indicate he should be.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If he nets 15 and has 30 assists I'm happy. It isn't Parise money or Pominville money we are talking here guys.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
The people who are expecting 55+ points might be setting themselves up for failure. I guess the best part is he's paid to be a third liner even though he could work out on the second line just fine.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
if he "fails" i think that Haula could plays second line center minutes most of the time. Still there is only one reason why this happened. Minnesota needs to give opportunity to Granlund play as winger. There is no point to trade him before that is tested because it could give him 60+ point season with 20+ goals.

IF big IF Staal finds himself again... then there is still someway possibility that even he could be first center of this team and take Koivu´s spot as first line center. Surely at all ways this is win win situation. Time to see if Granny can really play this game with expected level or not. I´m pretty sure that this is game changer for hes career.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
if he "fails" i think that Haula could plays second line center minutes most of the time. Still there is only one reason why this happened. Minnesota needs to give opportunity to Granlund play as winger. There is no point to trade him before that is tested because it could give him 60+ point season with 20+ goals.

IF big IF Staal finds himself again... then there is still someway possibility that even he could be first center of this team and take Koivu´s spot as first line center. Surely at all ways this is win win situation. Time to see if Granny can really play this game with expected level or not. I´m pretty sure that this is game changer for hes career.

I love Haula, but we've got to pump the brakes on him. If he ends up being an above average #3C it's a massive win for us.

Make or break year for Grandlhnd. Yes, he had a good international Tournament...big deal. He was good during the playoffs , but nothing spectacular. Regular season was more of the same, which simply isn't good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad