Eric Staal scores his 40th goal of the season

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he puts up another season of 70+ pts, then maybe a couple more of 50+ then you have to vote him in, no? A long run in a post season where he has a prominent role wouldn't hurt, either.

To be fair he looked like crap in Carolina,also. I thought he was going to be the worst signing of that free agency period to an albatross of a contract. Wroooooooong.
Yeah. I complained bitterly when Fletcher signed him. Guess that's why I'm not a GM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Always liked Eric Staal, and he was player I preferred most on the Canes teams back then.

Seemed to gotten underrated after a bad half season in NY. Nice to see him turning it around.

He's shown that he's still a legitimate number one center in the league. Good for him.

Always nice to see older veterans still be very successful after many years in the league.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This week half hour on "Alain Vigneault is a f***ing Moron" ...

Not surprised if he plays with FBJ.

Edit: And Zucker got 30. FBJ is handing out candy left and right.

New HF, who dis?

Always liked Eric Staal, and he was player I preferred most on the Canes teams back then.

Seemed to gotten underrated after a bad half season in NY. Nice to see him turning it around.

He's shown that he's still a legitimate number one center in the league. Good for him.

Always nice to see older veterans still be very successful after many years in the league.

He was pretty effective in NY. We just didn't play him.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
He is not HOF material but Im curious how far off you think he is from being?

I think he just re-entered that conversation. After failing to reach 40 points 2 seasons in a row, I thought his career is heading into a downward spiral similar to Lecavalier or Heatley. But if he has a couple more seasons like this one, I think his chances of making it are good. He has a cup and was a playoff leading scorer, plus another solid playoff run in 09. Has two top-10 scoring finishes and another one where he finished 11th. 2nd team all-star at center in a stacked year in 05/06. I think, if he finishes with good career numbers (500+ goals, 1100+ points), he should make it. Certainly a much better candidate than Marleau.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Kings haven't had a 40 goal scorer since Robitaille in 93-94. Unless you count Glen Murray, who scored 6 of his 41 in 01-02 before being shipped off to the Bruins and scoring 35 more. I personally don't count that though.

If Kopitar stays hot, there's an outside chance he could get there but he needs six goals in the final five games. That would sure help with the playoff push!

Point is, that's a heck of an arbitrary mark to hit, especially for a guy like Staal in his 14th year.
Canadiens also haven't had one since 93/94 with Vincent Damphousse. 40 goals is a major achievement in today's NHL.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Granlund.

He's only spent around 200 minutes with Granlund. It's only been a recent thing, he's played more with Ennis than Granlund.

He is not HOF material but Im curious how far off you think he is from being?
He's got a pretty good shot of making it in my opinion. Really depends on how long he can hold onto his resurgence. If he gets close to 1100 points, he's probably in. He's got a cup, and Olympic gold on his resume.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not surprised if he plays with FBJ.

Edit: And Zucker got 30. FBJ is handing out candy left and right.
Grandlund only started to play with Staal in the latter half of the season, and only then sporadically. Staal has been the driver of his line this year. Not Granlund, who is tapering off recently. Also, Zucker creates space for everyone on his line with his speed, and gets in on the forecheck early. He helps Granlund just as much as Granlund helps him. He is by no means a creation of him.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Eric Staal last scored 40 goals in 08-09 i believe.

I was just watching his post-game interview from the other night, he said it's been great in Minny that everybody cares and wants to win, makes you push yourself to get better too.

I think it's safe to say Staal never lost the ability, but things got stale in Carolina. Mental part of the game is such a huge thing, literally affects everything, they way you train, the way you compete, the way you produce..

It's great to see Staal got it all back. Interesting to see how long he can keep this up until the real decline starts, hoping for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad