Eric Staal in Minnesota

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
I'm very happy he's making me eat crow. I was disappointed when we signed him, especially after lackluster tenures by older stars past their prime in Heatley and Vanek. Thought he'd be in the same vein as those two. But things are working well right now, and so far he's been nothing but quality signing.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
One of those "change of scenery" moves that worked out, i guess. We were all totally expecting him to be slow based on reactions to the signing--pretty reasonably as this is a fanbase that had experienced Heatley and Vanek tenures here--but after the first game Wild fan comments everywhere were like "What the?! He's not slow? He's not slow!"

We'll see though. If the wild hit one of their major slumps this year maybe that worn-down looking Staal Carolina fans were talking about will show up. I hope not. Still was a good signing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Shocking to see how well he has played and his effort level. As a Carolina fan I never had any ill will for him but I'm feeling pretty ripped off. Wish he had played this hard at any point in the last 2 seasons.

Well, he doesn't have to be " the" guy, as Koivu is the other top 6 C and Captain. Staal has got to play with Parise, Nino, and Coyle, for the most part. The latter two are young, talented, and strong. They do a lot of the grunt work, though Staal is by no means lazy. That line together can be flat out dominant possessing the puck in the O zone. Don't know what he had to work with in CAR.

He has also had a lot of breakaways...scored on some, but missed a lot. Could have had 3 or 4 more goals with a reasonable conversion of those chances.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Was a guy I had hoped the Avs would sign.

Knew last season was just a down year for him and that he'd bounce back. Would've been a much better signing compared to Colborne who has been awful.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Staal also being 7 hour drive from thunder bay was, always going to be advantagous as well. He knows minneaota pretty well

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
You could see this coming by the way Eric was dominating the puck in Carolina. Bill Peters has some wacky ideas about how to play offense, and I think Staal's point totals suffered.

New York was just a mess. He may have played every spot in the lineup in 20 games.

Glad to see him back playing the game I think he plays best in Minnesota.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Zucker is gone if they don't protect him. Vegas kid, young, fast...would make way too much sense. I'm not sure how Granlund isn't a must keep based on how far his game has progressed this year...he's the best player on the ice for long stretches so far this year. Just a totally different player than the past few years. Durability is always a concern for him.

Back on topic, Staal has been really good for most of the year. He's such a pro. Good in all three zones, strong on puck battles. I think people sometimes underestimate how hard it is to perform as a trade deadline rental for marquee players. The best deadline pickups are usually the guys that are filling a specific role (Penalty killing 3rd liner, 2nd pairing D man, etc.). Bringing in a guy and expecting him to find instant chemistry to produce offense is always a gamble. I don't think it's always fair to write guys off that struggle as rentals.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way in H. E. double hockey sticks that they don't protect Granlund. The organization loves him, and while he may not score quite as much as we'd hoped he would, he does everything else very well, and the scoring has picked up a bit this season to the point that I think he may end up being a 60 point player at least once in his career, while playing a very good two way game.

I think Vegas will have a difficult decision to make when they hit Minnesota on the list. Zucker, the hometown kid, or Scandella/Dumba, a legitimate and young top 4 defensemen. Either way, it sucks for the Wild.

On topic: Staal has quickly become one of my favorite players on the team. The guy hustles every night and scores as a result. Second best forward on the team. For his price tag, that's more than I was expecting.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
plus, he looks good in a Sheriff's hat/

He was rocking it for that post game interview. I think having him around for the Playoffs will help. He's one of 3? players on the Wild to make it past the second round of the Playoffs, and the only one to win a Cup.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
His big contract expired, he was playing the worst hockey of his life and he realized he has to get in a better shape if he wants to stay relevant in this league, not getting any younger.

Simple as that. It's one of those crossroads for players, you either become motivated and work really hard during the summer, or slowly fade away from the NHL.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I didn't hate the trade to the Rangers because a big body, a great possession player and a longtime team captain were all good things to add to a "win now" team that wasn't winning. Actually fitting him into the lineup was a mess though, with Stepan-Brassard-Hayes one of our only real strengths was center depth and it made for a lot of weird shuffling, I don't think we really had lines when he was here.

Surprised he's putting up those numbers but not surprised he's beating expectations

crossicepass

Sep 7, 2008
Beaut of a SO goal. Dude looks to be his old self. IMO he makes Minny a legit Cup contender.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Beaut of a SO goal. Dude looks to be his old self. IMO he makes Minny a legit Cup contender.

woah woah...

what he does do is keep us from complaining about centers. we were legitimately worried it'd keep us out of the playoffs. I think he makes us a legitimate playoff team instead of a bubble team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's only playing like a 2nd line center

no, he isn't. He's playing like a 1st line C. And scoring like one.

As of right now that's completely false. That would be vanek easily. And that's just one I know. Could find better if I searched

We know Vanek, AKA "Vanish" pretty well around these parts. Staal is better than he ever was here.

The more you post about this subject, the more you'll show your ignorance.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The really impressive thing that has surprised the hell out of me is his speed. He was consistently outskating guys when we played them last week. I had just assumed that his decline had had to do with slowing down, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My question at this point is more why his play dropped off so much given he clearly still has the physical tools.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
The really impressive thing that has surprised the hell out of me is his speed. He was consistently outskating guys when we played them last week. I had just assumed that his decline had had to do with slowing down, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

My question at this point is more why his play dropped off so much given he clearly still has the physical tools.

Probably lost the excitement to play the game in Carolina after so many bad seasons

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

Word out of camp was that he was winning a lot of the skating drills Boudreau was running. Kind of surprising with guys like Haula, Brodin, and Zucker around. He is one of those long striders who looks slow but can actually move pretty good...

I'm betting he was injured a bit, and possibly uninspired the past couple of years. He got healthy this summer, refocused, maybe had his pride hurt a bit by the lack of offers during FA.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Radulov by far

By FAR? Do you ever get out of your basement in Chomedy?

Radulov RW 25gp 5g 16a 5.75M/yr.

Staal (C) 26gp 6g 12a 3.5M/yr

Staal plays a more demanding defensive position, and does it quite well. Looks to me that the bang for the buck is clearly in Staal's favor. Good luck re-signing Radulov for next year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad