Eric Nystrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
He has started his 4th season in MIchigan very well. 2 goals and one assist in 3 games. He has also been moved to center so far this year, so he is becoming more versatile.

His potential is still 3rd line with maybe topping out as a 2nd line player for a couple years.

I think he is going to be a very valuable part of the Flames lineup for years to come.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
His offensive game hasn't developed as many had hoped it would. But the rest of his game seems strong enough to get him to the big show as a 3rd liner. Some think he will be a better Pro than College player.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Clearly Nystrom hasn't progressed as the Flames management (old and new) had hoped, but the Flames can still salvage an NHL player out of him. A 3rd or 4th line player should be a possibility for Nystrom, though clearly he hasn't shown enough scoring pop to be thought of as a top 6 guy down the road.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
His offensive production has decreased each year at Michigan. He brings a lot of intangibles to the table but the fact is he is not a gifted offensive player. This fact hurts his chances of ever being more than a 3rd line grinder player. By all accounts he possesses leadership capability which should help but I see him more as a Mike Keane kind of player if all goes well. A guy you need in the playoffs but only chips in the occasional goal during the season.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
This is his last year in NCAA and he has a lot to prove. With a 40-50 point season and solid two-way play he could take the quick route to the NHL. Anything less and he'll likely be an AHLer for a few seasons before seeing "the show".

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
mazmin said:
This is his last year in NCAA and he has a lot to prove. With a 40-50 point season and solid two-way play he could take the quick route to the NHL. Anything less and he'll likely be an AHLer for a few seasons before seeing "the show".
If Nystrom only puts up 10 points this year he is ready for the NHL, trust me on that. If their wasn't the loom of an NHL lockout all summer this guy would have been signed and probably been playing with the Flames at this point.

He is a great two way player and has some blazing speed. His game has never been putting up points so he doesn't need to put up 40 points in College to prove he is ready for NHL.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
I just watched him play the other night against Lake Superior State in the Soo. Nystrom is a strong two-way player. While he hasn't progressed as much offensively as we were led to believe he would after his freshman season, he does all the little things right out there to help out his team. Plus he has a knack for scoring in clutch situations. So far this season he's playing on a line with Jason Ryznar and Mike Brown, I believe. They're job is to stop the opposing team's top line. There's no playmaking center on that line, all three are hustling/grinder types, though I will say if there was I wouldn't be surprised to see both him and big Ryz putting up more points. Ryznar is finally healthy (knock on wood) and he has been wheeling out there as a force on both ends of the ice, too. I can see Nystrom as a definite third line grinder in the NHL and paired with the right individual possibly higher than that.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Nystrom style of play is the perfect fir for the Flames. Most likely a 30-40 point player who is strong 2 ways, damn fast and gritty as hell. Whats not to like about it? Guys like this are key come playoff time.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Nystrom style of play is the perfect fir for the Flames. Most likely a 30-40 point player who is strong 2 ways, damn fast and gritty as hell. Whats not to like about it? Guys like this are key come playoff time.

Yeah I agree that his style of play is a perfect fit for Sutters system in Calgary.

Yes Nystrom hasn't put up the points that alot of people thought he would when he was drafted but I think his style of game woudl be more productive in the pro game. The fact that he forechecks and works the boards so well and has decent hands will imo make him a good candidate for the grinder role on one of the top lines. The mucker on the top line who's job is to race in on the forecheck dig out pucks for skill guys and park his butt infront of the net and screen the goalie. I dotn think Nystrom is your typical top 6 player who has great puck skills or offensive finisse on teh fly but he will be extremely valuable on the cycle game.

But then again he may just end up a 3rd line mucker who pots 10 goals a season and contributes solid ledership wiht his excellent work ethic.

Question- Didn't alot of the Michigan players offensive numbers kinda take a dive last year?? I know nystrom's and Tambellinies numbers really did so maybe Nystroms numbers going down was more of indication in team play or coaching change as opposed to him takeing a step back in his developement.

You never hear anything about David Moss. Big guy pretty good skater puts up better numbers than Ryznar but also plays a more prominant role in teh defensive side of the game. At least this is what I have seen of Moss in the few games I have seen over the years.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Mr.Hunter74 said:
Question- Didn't alot of the Michigan players offensive numbers kinda take a dive last year?? I know nystrom's and Tambellinies numbers really did so maybe Nystroms numbers going down was more of indication in team play or coaching change as opposed to him takeing a step back in his developement.

You never hear anything about David Moss. Big guy pretty good skater puts up better numbers than Ryznar but also plays a more prominant role in teh defensive side of the game. At least this is what I have seen of Moss in the few games I have seen over the years.

Tambellini had like a 15 game or so goal drought during the middle of the season before finally finding the net again as the regular season came down the stretch. Point-wise, he struggled last season after leading the team his freshman campaign.

Moss also fell off his production last season with only 20 points after a breakout sophomore season, but he's been a solid contributor.

Meanwhile other guys last season, Hensick led the team as a freshman (like Tamby). Andrew Ebbett improved as he was quietly second in scoring with 9 goals and 29 assists (when it comes to the media he gets no attention...almost like a secret weapon for us). Milan Gajic finally broke out of his career slump and put up good numbers and has been lighting it up so far this season. And Brandon Kaleniecki led the team with 20 goals as he's known for being the short tough guy who battles for the dirty goals down low.

Ryznar it's hard to judge him. He's missed about 6-10 games each season recovering from injuries. Can't remember what it was his freshman year (concussion, perhaps?). He's separated both shoulders, and just before this season started he had surgery to repair a broken vein in his temple. While he's still managed to play in the majority of games, it seems like he spent most of those recovering from injury and trying to find his groove. He is finally healthy from the get go and showing what he's capable of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad