Eric Nystrom retires

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Eric Nystrom knew what he wanted to do when his playing career was over.

“I told Red Berenson that I wanted to replace him and coach Michigan hockey for 30 years,†Nystrom laughs on Tuesday. “He said, ‘Take a number, there’s a long list.’â€

After nine seasons and 593 NHL games, Nystrom is eyeing that next phase. Father Bob, who won four Stanley Cups with the Islanders, made it an early priority.

“My father made a much better living post-hockey, setting up a successful business. He was on me, would drive me crazy: ‘What are you going to do next?’ What are you going to do next?’

“My roommate at Michigan was Reilly Olson. He didn’t have as successful a pro career, but Red was always telling us how proud he was of Reilly. He finished his education and made the transition.â€

Eric Nystrom has a liberal arts degree. Now, he’s taking online courses with the Business of Hockey Institute, working towards its Certified Hockey Professional (CHP) designation. Think of it as an Executive MBA specifically tailored to the sport.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-game-changing-move-seattles-nhl-bid/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad