Eric Lindros the Most Influential Philadelphia Athlete

member 30781

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Influential? We talkin about being influential?

Lol, but for real. Allen Iverson was the man when I was growing up. For me, as a kid, it has he and Lindros. I had a Lindros jersey and a poster, but I had an Iverson jersey, Iverson sneakers, Iverson poster, etc. Maybe more with the generation I was in with marketing and merchandise, but AI was one of the most marketable athletes in the history of this town, whether you like the NBA or not.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Most polarizing, maybe. Influential, not so sure. Possibly but I'd have to think about it a little more.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Have to go with Bobby Clarke. The likes of Ed Snider and Joe Watson, people part of the original Flyers, have often told stories about the lack of interest and excitement on the city's parade route to introduce the expansion team (1967), because hockey was an unknown commodity at the time. About seven years later, the collective response to the consecutive championships is still stunning not only in numbers but in terms of the fervor shown by the fans. At that time, the titles came at a much needed period not only for sports but also non-sports. It was an event in which the city unified. Lindros and other athletes of subsequent eras were part of established franchises and while their merits are justified, the Flyers were in their infancy and rocked the hockey world by beating two Original Six teams en route to the 1974 Finals. From where they were in 1967 to the baby steps then eventual gods, that team was incomparable. And led by Clarke as the captain, he would be my choice.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Have to go with Bobby Clarke. The likes of Ed Snider and Joe Watson, people part of the original Flyers, have often told stories about the lack of interest and excitement on the city's parade route to introduce the expansion team (1967), because hockey was an unknown commodity at the time. About seven years later, the collective response to the consecutive championships is still stunning not only in numbers but in terms of the fervor shown by the fans. At that time, the titles came at a much needed period not only for sports but also non-sports. It was an event in which the city unified. Lindros and other athletes of subsequent eras were part of established franchises and while their merits are justified, the Flyers were in their infancy and rocked the hockey world by beating two Original Six teams en route to the 1974 Finals. From where they were in 1967 to the baby steps then eventual gods, that team was incomparable. And led by Clarke as the captain, he would be my choice.

Thanks MSE. Well stated. I grew up in that era and to see the effect that team had on this area is still something I look back on in amazement. To see the street hockey leagues alone pop up all over South Jersey was crazy. I belonged to one (Collingswood #9) where you could fight, was a trip. #16 was the leader both on and off the ice and what he did, was well something that has not been touched since. Eric was nice(when we topped the street he lived on) he had a cookout for us. AI pumped up the area. But to do what that Clarke led team do for the area(and to an extent the world of hockey and to some extent the world of politics) will never to touched again.:bow: Thanks Clarkie for everything you have done for us.:cheers:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks MSE. Well stated. I grew up in that era and to see the effect that team had on this area is still something I look back on in amazement. To see the street hockey leagues alone pop up all over South Jersey was crazy. I belonged to one (Collingswood #9) where you could fight, was a trip. #16 was the leader both on and off the ice and what he did, was well something that has not been touched since. Eric was nice(when we topped the street he lived on) he had a cookout for us. AI pumped up the area. But to do what that Clarke led team do for the area(and to an extent the world of hockey and to some extent the world of politics) will never to touched again.:bow: Thanks Clarkie for everything you have done for us.:cheers:

Thanks, Pete. Wilt Chamberlain deserves praise, too, (born in Philly) but I do think hockey is the ultimate team sport and is handcuffed in comparison to baseball, basketball and football because individual accomplishments oftentimes are not as easily recognized. Clarke was the representative of that team.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I'm not a fan of roided up actors that you can barely understand what they're saying. The movies were so cheesy & over the top.

I disliked the series. But my hat's off to the 1st flick. To beat those films to win the Oscar for best picture is pretty amazing. Cost about a mill. to make and grossed well over 200 mill is simply incredible. Laugh of the day. Go to Google Earth and pull up Rocky's apartment(1818 Tusculum st.) Check out the lungs:laugh: on the broad across the street!

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
have to go with bobby clarke. The likes of ed snider and joe watson, people part of the original flyers, have often told stories about the lack of interest and excitement on the city's parade route to introduce the expansion team (1967), because hockey was an unknown commodity at the time. About seven years later, the collective response to the consecutive championships is still stunning not only in numbers but in terms of the fervor shown by the fans. At that time, the titles came at a much needed period not only for sports but also non-sports. It was an event in which the city unified. Lindros and other athletes of subsequent eras were part of established franchises and while their merits are justified, the flyers were in their infancy and rocked the hockey world by beating two original six teams en route to the 1974 finals. From where they were in 1967 to the baby steps then eventual gods, that team was incomparable. And led by clarke as the captain, he would be my choice.

this^^^^^^^^^

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I disliked the series. But my hat's off to the 1st flick. To beat those films to win the Oscar for best picture is pretty amazing. Cost about a mill. to make and grossed well over 200 mill is simply incredible. Laugh of the day. Go to Google Earth and pull up Rocky's apartment(1818 Tusculum st.) Check out the lungs:laugh: on the broad across the street!

I think somebody had too much time on his hands one day. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
One of the worst series of movies ever, with all the great boxers that have come from Philadelphia the idiots in this city praise some fictional character from a terrible movie.

Say what you will about the films... but in most cases I believe a person is without a heart who does not get fired up during the fights.

The films were simplistic... and at times corny... but they were basically enjoyable and championed the little guys with heart. Rocky was a likeable dude and Stalone made it almost impossible for us to not root for him. Yes, sure he was fictitious, but I don't see any films around about my personal hero, Smokin' Joe. Rocky was every bit Philadelphia as Frasier was... why not praise him?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
First film is legitimately good. After that....Eh.

I've never really liked Sly Stallone, I think he's a terrible actor although I did like Copland and the first Rambo.

I actually live in his old neighborhood here in Philly, it was either him or his brother Frank who weren't really liked too much by the people in this area.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Whoa.

I've never really liked Sly Stallone, I think he's a terrible actor although I did like Copland and the first Rambo.

I actually live in his old neighborhood here in Philly, it was either him or his brother Frank who weren't really liked too much by the people in this area.

I'm fine with Stallone in the first one. His slurry speech makes him seem more washed up and punch drunk.

Screaming "ADRIANNE" at the end is awful though.

ChumpyG

Jibbity jibbity
Feb 13, 2007
Portland, OR
One of the worst series of movies ever, with all the great boxers that have come from Philadelphia the idiots in this city praise some fictional character from a terrible movie.

Thank you!!!!!

Rocky is a fictional character. The man who portrayed him is not from Philadelphia. Hell, the boxer he was loosely based upon wasn't even from Philly. Never got the whole fascination amongst Philly sports fans with Rocky.

And yeah. The movies really weren't that great, people! The first one wasn't awful, but the sequels were pretty much steaming piles of ****.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm not a fan of roided up actors that you can barely understand what they're saying. The movies were so cheesy & over the top.

Bah. Ivan Drago is coming for you.

First film is legitimately good. After that....Eh.

I think 1, 2, and 4 are absolute classics. 3 is pretty rough, and 5 is ok. 6 was also pretty rough. But that's three classics out of six!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad