Eric Brewer's tenure in Edmonton

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
During his 4 seasons with the Oilers, how much promise did Eric Brewer show? I remember people thinking he had good potential during his time in Edmonton, and he also made Team Canada in 2002 (even scoring 2 goals in those Olympics). From the limited time I saw him play, he seemed like a good defensive dman.

Then I remember Brewer being the main part of the package sent to St. Louis for Pronger (I apologize for mentioning his name here). From there it seemed his career fell off, and my thoughts were it was a combination of those teams being just plain bad and, to a lesser extent, him being the guy who basically had to fill in Pronger's skates.

I'd almost forgotten about Brewer when he was traded to the Blues until they traded him to the Lightning. He had a good playoff run in Tampa Bay when we made it to the ECF in 2011. In 2012 he struggled, but has gradually gotten better each of the past 2 seasons. Right now I think he fits in well with his role with our D men. The 3-4 pairing is the highest pairing he plays on for our team.

What did you guys think of him during his time here in Edmonton? Both his play and his potential. Thanks in advance.

(I created this thread last night, but it appears it was mistaken as a trade rumor/proposal since the only words in the title were Eric Brewer.)

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
During his 4 seasons with the Oilers, how much promise did Eric Brewer show? I remember people thinking he had good potential during his time in Edmonton, and he also made Team Canada in 2002 (even scoring 2 goals in those Olympics). From the limited time I saw him play, he seemed like a good defensive dman.

Then I remember Brewer being the main part of the package sent to St. Louis for Pronger (I apologize for mentioning his name here). From there it seemed his career fell off, and my thoughts were it was a combination of those teams being just plain bad and, to a lesser extent, him being the guy who basically had to fill in Pronger's skates.

I'd almost forgotten about Brewer when he was traded to the Blues until they traded him to the Lightning. He had a good playoff run in Tampa Bay when we made it to the ECF in 2011. In 2012 he struggled, but has gradually gotten better each of the past 2 seasons. Right now I think he fits in well with his role with our D men. The 3-4 pairing is the highest pairing he plays on for our team.

What did you guys think of him during his time here in Edmonton? Both his play and his potential. Thanks in advance.

(I created this thread last night, but it appears it was mistaken as a trade rumor/proposal since the only words in the title were Eric Brewer.)

Our defense is AHL level outside of Fayne and Nikitin. Let's trade for Brewer

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site

I liked Brewer a lot. He was a great skater-- his speed and lateral movement were excellent for such a big guy. I think that's why he did well at the Olympics.

I don't think he reached his full potential. He could have become an all-star, but there were sometimes lapses in his game.

I believe that he missed a lot of hockey due to knee injuries when he was in St Louis, and it probably affected his skating.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Am I thinking of someone else... or is he the guy who was often injured and had something crazy like 12 different allergies?

He was a great player for us when he was healthy. That's for sure.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Am I thinking of someone else... or is he the guy who was often injured and had something crazy like 12 different allergies?

He was a great player for us when he was healthy. That's for sure.

Poti was allergic to everything. Especially physical contact

Brewer never developed into the player that scouts thought he had potential to be. But he was a solid 2nd pairing guy on a good team for a few years type of guy.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I was a big fan. The potential was sky high, he basically had everything you want in a defenceman other than a booming shot. But despite showing a decent level of physicality to go with good size, he just never looked engaged or intense when the situation called for it. In many ways I think he was similar to a player we have now in Petry, just Brewer had better poise, decision making, and strength.

Fair to say Brewer never fulfilled his potential, but can be satisfied with a pretty good career when he decides to hang them up.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Guy was on the 2002 Gold Medal winning team when he was with the Oilers. Supastar.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Brewer was a good solid defenceman, the problems were that expectations were set so high based on his potential that people weren't happy when he didn't turn into a super star. When you remove those expectations and potential and simply look at what he did for the Oilers as a player it would be hard to speak ill of him.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I was a big fan. The potential was sky high, he basically had everything you want in a defenceman other than a booming shot. But despite showing a decent level of physicality to go with good size, he just never looked engaged or intense when the situation called for it. In many ways I think he was similar to a player we have now in Petry, just Brewer had better poise, decision making, and strength.

Fair to say Brewer never fulfilled his potential, but can be satisfied with a pretty good career when he decides to hang them up.
Doesn't surprise me. I could tell from the moment he arrived in Tampa that he's a laid back and quiet guy.

Brewer was a good solid defenceman, the problems were that expectations were set so high based on his potential that people weren't happy when he didn't turn into a super star. When you remove those expectations and potential and simply look at what he did for the Oilers as a player it would be hard to speak ill of him.
Before the first thread I started got moved, a poster said Brewer wasn't really comfortable with the expectations he faced. This could also explain part of why he struggled in St. Louis since he was the main guy who had to fill in Pronger's skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad