GWT: EPL - Matchweek 9

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Maybe somebody know the answer but why so many clubs like Burnley, West Ham and Aston Villa have similar kit colors, badges and kits pattern? Is there something historical that I am missing?

Btw that was a pathetic defensive effort by Paqueta and good shot by Luiz
IIRC , the story goes that Aston Villa had it first, their players once bet they could beat a sprinter who was a some sort of a coach at West Ham that they could beat him, once they lost they gave him Aston Villa kits as they couldn’t afford to pay him and he passed them on to the team and they started playing with them full time since then.

Burnley just wanted to emulate Aston Villa since they were succesfull club at the time.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Man City are working to find and ban from the stadium the idiots who were singing disgraceful songs about Sir Bobby Charlton on Saturday. They'll do so also if such incidents take place at Old Trafford on Sunday during the Manchester derby.

Reactions: robertmac43

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
IIRC , the story goes that Aston Villa had it first, their players once bet they could beat a sprinter who was a some sort of a coach at West Ham that they could beat him, once they lost they gave him Aston Villa kits as they couldn’t afford to pay him and he passed them on to the team and they started playing with them full time since then.

Burnley just wanted to emulate Aston Villa since they were succesfull club at the time.
Yes the stories are not as great as I thought they would be. Maybe West Ham and Burnley should change part of it to not look like a plain copy.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Yes the stories are not as great as I thought they would be. Maybe West Ham and Burnley should change part of it to not look like a plain copy.
Agreed, Burnley especially since they got no good reason to wear those colors. West Ham i get, since they’ve pretty much always had skyblue kits even tho their first main color was dark blue, and claret was the color of the Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company that initially founded the club.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Liverpool fans, I imagine, are calling for a replay to correct this injustice.
I know you are mocking the notion of it as it is completely different situation than the VAR failure versus Tottenham but let's play your hypothetical. Bring on the replay!! Anytime! Make it a best of 3 even for good measures.
Everton were a disgrace and did not even bother attacking and only tried long balls all game, they were severely out played even at 11v11.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool fans, I imagine, are calling for a replay to correct this injustice.
I mean, the Everton fans are, which probably makes more sense. They are free to do so.

Neither club requested a replay though so kind of weird to take this stance, since that would be what actually would matter in the scheme of things

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hypocrite FC, but in all honesty every club is. Klopp was probably praising the ref about how well he performed in their match as well lol.
I don’t understand why LFC would be hypocrites in this situation.

Also Klopp said after the match they they “got lucky” so I wouldn’t say he was praising the ref; who also had to be corrected by VAR for getting the the handball call wrong. LFC got lucky, but it’s also not like VAR told the ref to send Konate off, and thought everything was fine because he left the pitch when he was subbed off. These situations are not the same

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don’t understand why LFC would be hypocrites in this situation.

Also Klopp said after the match they they “got lucky” so I wouldn’t say he was praising the ref; who also had to be corrected by VAR for getting the the handball call wrong. LFC got lucky, but it’s also not like VAR told the ref to send Konate off, and thought everything was fine because he left the pitch when he was subbed off. These situations are not the same
One got benefited from a call that led to a win, whilst the other club got screwed from the wrong call. We are talking about Liverpool here versus Spurs and Everton here versus Liverpool.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
One got benefited from a call that led to a win, whilst the other club got screwed from the wrong call. We are talking about Liverpool here versus Spurs and Everton here versus Liverpool.
Bad calls happen. What happened with LFC at Tottenham was much more than just a bad call. They are not the same.

If Everton want to complain to PGMOL about it, they are more than welcome to. No one is saying they shouldn’t. That’s up to them though.

Reactions: luiginb

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Unchanged XI apart from Hojbjerg coming in for the suspended Bissouma.

Brennan Johnson on the bench, back from injury.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I would like to see Liverpool play Everton every single week so yes they can have a replay.
Honestly. The people who are hypocrites are those coming in and telling us how we should feel about a replay. Most LFC supporters would not be opposed to beat them again and again and again. They are crying for a questionable/interpretation call by the referee of a 2nd yellow card foul while playing a pathetic type of football and hoping for a result with hail mary balls.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Honestly. The people who are hypocrites are those coming in and telling us how we should feel about a replay. Most LFC supporters would not be opposed to beat them again and again and again. They are crying for a questionable/interpretation call by the referee of a 2nd yellow card foul while playing a pathetic type of football and hoping for a result.
The majority of other team fans just want to go out of their way to not believe/agree with LFC fans; because I guess that think that’s makes the a traitor or something. It’s weird. Just grasping at straws to make a false equivalency.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Lineker titled him "catpain Zouma".

I was not a fan of the game when he was playing but I just learned recently that he never once picked up a yellow card? I don’t understand how that’s remotely possible.

Spurs are trying for the highlight goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad