GWT: EPL - Matchweek 38

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Arsenal choked by losing to Villa on April 14th, but Liverpool, who were level with Arsenal at the time with equal games played, did not choke by losing to Palace.

Checks out.
Why is this choked talk so important for all of you? I am seriously intrigued. :laugh:
Both team choked (Arsenal and LFC) and missed out. One team (Man City) did not choke and won. It is still not wrong to call out Arsenal mentality against Man City at the Etihad. Based on the comments here, I guess Arsenal supporters are fine with that mentality and good on them I guess... as I a neutral fan I thought it was a coward move but for all Arsenal supporter it was a masterclass from Arteta :dunno:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Why is this choked talk so important for all of you? I am seriously intrigued. :laugh:
Both team choked (Arsenal and LFC) and missed out. One team (Man City) did not choke and won. It is still not wrong to call out Arsenal mentality against Man City at the Etihad. Based on the comments here, I guess Arsenal supporters are fine with that mentality and good on them I guess...
Oh it's not important to me at all. I don't care who choked or didn't choke or whatever you want to call it. But it appears deeply important to Savant.

City was always the favorite because they have an insane depth that no one else can match.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh it's not important to me at all. I don't care who choked or didn't choke or whatever you want to call it. But it appears deeply important to Savant.

City was always the favorite because they have an insane depth that no one else can match.
Please. All season I was saying it’s all fun and games until KDB is healthy when everyone was putting City in the dirt. Well guess what happened. The Arsenal fans are desperate to deflect their failing onto the LFC fans; I guess that makes them feel better. LFC have their own problems. We will be okay

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think we have different definitions of that word. Get your trophy count up and then we can talk about what choking means.

I think it’s really funny that the argument is basically we aren’t good enough to have choked. Which I don’t know how is better, but maybe that’s just me. Arsenal should have played for a win against City. LFC should have signed three players in January. Shit happens
You’ve won as many premier league titles as Blackburn and Leicester. Get your trophy count up? Have some shame.

Did City play for a draw when they failed to register a shot after the 34’ and lost at the Emirates?

As for your kdb excuse, when he came back, Liverpool were 5 points clear. Finished 9 points back. KdB couldn’t have done a thing if Liverpool hadn’t choked.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
i don’t see the problem. If anything we’re trying to give you (for lack of a better word/maybe the wrong word) advice to go there and try. Instead we watched you make the same mistake that we did. But again at least we’ve won their in UCL, and we did win a PL against Pep, so I wouldn’t exactly say we are unqualified to say “hey maybe think you should have done that” . Also - who is this team with the great record at the Ettihad in general here?

Counting on City to drop points is never a good strategy, plain and simple. Arteta of all people should have known that.

He isn’t wrong though. You can take a second 2nd of a UCL final to penalties. Can’t do that in the league
City played to get a draw last year at the Emirates

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You’ve won as many premier league titles as Blackburn and Leicester. Get your trophy count up? Have some shame.
Are you sure you want to compare trophy counts?
Did City play for a draw when they failed to register a shot after the 34’ and lost at the Emirates?
I don’t know ask Pep. Wasn’t that game in like the first week of October? That’s a big difference.
As for your kdb excuse, when he came back, Liverpool were 5 points clear. Finished 9 points back. KdB couldn’t have done a thing if Liverpool hadn’t choked.
It’s not an excuse it’s reality. I was not sleeping on this City team. Everyone else was. I consistently said this team needed to add three players in January to keep up like yall did last year. Sometimes I hate being right about this stuff

You can keep deflecting if it makes you feel better. Hopefully you are as lucky as you were this year next year.

City played to get a draw last year at the Emirates
There is a difference in doing this the first week of October and doing this in the stretch run

Last edited:

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Are you sure you want to compare trophy counts?

I don’t know ask Pep. Wasn’t that game in like the first week of October? That’s a big difference.

It’s not an excuse it’s reality. I was not sleeping on this City team. Everyone else was. I consistently said this team needed to add three players in January to keep up like yall did last year. Sometimes I hate being right about this stuff

You can keep deflecting if it makes you feel better. Hopefully you are as lucky as you were this year next year.

There is a difference in doing this the first week of October and doing this in the stretch run
convenient lol

Reactions: KJS14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
convenient lol
What’s convenient about it? The calculus is A LOT difference with 30 weeks to play than there is with 8 weeks to play. That’s not even a controversial statement. PL before and after the holiday period (alone as a reason) are two different animals.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Given that the whole conversation is about winning the premier league, sure. Let’s compare premier league titles.
Okay - when was your last one?
As everyone knows, points in October count less than points in March.
No one said this. The strategy is indisputably different in October than it is in late March/early April though. This isn’t even a hot take.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
someone needs to make a banner for chelsea supporters to carry that says we led city for 41 minutes at the Etihad.

They can put an asterisk below it saying "we probably have cheated as much as City, but they weren't punished"

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It's crazy that the debate is whether Arsenal screwed up by not going for it at the Etihad, when City themselves didn't go for the win at home even though they needed it more. They played it extremely safe and had just as much to do with that game ending in a scoreless draw as we did.

Maybe you guys remember a ton of possession as them trying to score, but 90% of it was the passing it around the umbrella with no threat to score. They had Kovacic camped by his own corner flag and Bernardo Silva came deeper and deeper every time we did press them so that they could keep possession without doing anything with it. Their best chance came from a corner, and then otherwise they created almost nothing.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It's crazy that the debate is whether Arsenal screwed up by not going for it at the Etihad, when City themselves didn't go for the win at home even though they needed it more. They played it extremely safe and had just as much to do with that game ending in a scoreless draw as we did.

Maybe you guys remember a ton of possession as them trying to score, but 90% of it was the passing it around the umbrella with no threat to score. They had Kovacic camped by his own corner flag and Bernardo Silva came deeper and deeper every time we did press them so that they could keep possession without doing anything with it. Their best chance came from a corner, and then otherwise they created almost nothing.
I think everyone likely remembers it as the most negative match they've ever seen, from both sides. It was... absolutely f***ing grim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad