GWT: EPL - Matchweek 38

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I knew that was coming.

Foreign owners =/ becoming a servant to a foreign club.

Newsflash: it seems like even Strasbourg fans understand the distinction considering they uh...haven't been in a state of perpetual riot since the early 90s.
I literally said they weren't the same and that one situation was worse than the other in the post you just quoted.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I'm not posting much during games anymore because it makes it more difficult to actually watch the games. If City hadn't won I would have flooded in and said 'thank f*** they lost.' For some reason you think the consolation prize is better than the first prize. Making fun of Arsenal is only the consolation here.
Sure, but we're not just talking about you here either. Funny how you can type out "maybe it wasn't you, but someone did this" and not notice that 80% of posters only said something here today after the games were over.

I can respect that you individually would actually have liked to see City lose, but the rest of the lot were slobbering all over them the last few weeks just hoping that Arsenal wouldn't win the title.

And I don't care about you making fun of us. Contrary to what you think, I'm not so thin skinned to seriously give a crap about what internet posters say about Arsenal. I just find it laughable how we said one thing back to you guys and then you always devolve to the same talking points about your historical trophies.

No, this absolutely did happen. I don't care enough to find it but it happened. If you didn't do it then fine but other people did.
The only thing that I myself may have said was that Arsenal were at one point on a 100 point pace last year after ~20 games, which would have been better than that Liverpool team's point total. Which was in response to Savant's one millionth "weak league, this year doesn't count" post. But I never pretended that being on pace for that made us the better team when there was ~18 games left.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am a football fan first and foremost but every time I talk about any other team it is perceived as I am taking dig at them and after that people mention how thick skinned we are. I hate City more than Arsenal by far. I actually even have a soft spot for Arsenal and how they build their team the proper way unlike 115.

My take:
Arsenal played the best football and had the best team this season, they had some lucky break especially in term of injuries to their key players but they were clinical in getting results and defensively collectivelly they have reached another level that make you champion. They can be very hopeful for their future, their core players are just entering their prime year and they will challenge again and quite possibly win it eventually. BUT they lacked courage to go against city at the Etihad and that is IMO their downfall and if they went toe to toe against them they would have beat them, Arsenal had more in them. Man City while a good team are not what they used to be, they are older and have been very professional and cerebral in their approach, they knew they had to win it all and even though they had a less stellar season as per the standard they set they remained focused and got their title. Next season will be IMO even an harder task because even though they won a lot or their game I am noticing some fatigue and drop of form for their key players. I do believe Pep will get some fresh legs otherwise IMO we will crown a new champion next season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sure, but we're not just talking about you here either. Funny how you can type out "maybe it wasn't you, but someone did this" and not notice that 80% of posters only said something here today after the games were over.

I can respect that you individually would actually have liked to see City lose, but the rest of the lot were slobbering all over them the last few weeks just hoping that Arsenal wouldn't win the title.

And I don't care about you making fun of us. Contrary to what you think, I'm not so thin skinned to seriously give a crap about what internet posters say about Arsenal. I just find it laughable how we said one thing back to you guys and then you always devolve to the same talking points about your historical trophies.

The only thing that I myself may have said was that Arsenal were at one point on a 100 point pace last year after ~20 games, which would have been better than that Liverpool team's point total. Which was in response to Savant's one millionth "weak league, this year doesn't count" post. But I never pretended that being on pace for that made us the better team when there was ~18 games left.
I mean if we are going to say people are making things up, I certainly never said the league didn’t count. I certainly said it was a weaker league, and I stand by that, but never said it doesn’t count

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Honestly this comes across as you getting mad anyone would dare to defend themselves because you thought what you were saying was such a good response. I’m not going to be your doormat.

We bottled the league but thankfully we have all of these extremely recent memories that you guys do not have. You’re gonna have to get over it because that’s just reality. You can’t undo it.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I am a football fan first and foremost but every time I talk about any other team it is perceived as I am taking dig at them and after that people mention how thick skinned we are. I hate City more than Arsenal by far. I actually even have a soft spot for them and how they build their team the proper way.

My take:
Arsenal played the best football and had the best team this season, they had some lucky break especially in term of injuries to their key players but they were clinical in getting results and defensively collectivelly they are reached another level. They can be very hopeful for their future, their core players are just entering their prime year and they will challenge again and quite possibly win it eventually. BUT they lacked courage to go against city at the Etihad and if they went toe to toe against them they would have beat them. Man City while a good team are not what they used to be, they are older and have been very professional and cerebral in their approach, they knew they had to win it all and even though they had a less stellar season as per the standard they set they remained focused and got their title. Next season will be IMO even an harder task because even though they won a lot or their game I am noticing some fatigue and drop of form for their key players. I do believe Pep will get some freah legs otherwise IMO we will crown a new champion next season.
I didn't take your first post as a dig. I just disagree with your take that Arsenal didn't win the title because they grinded out a draw against City rather than going balls to the wall for a win (which could have resulted in them actually losing). We took more points against City than any other team this year.

Other Liverpool fans are certainly firing shots away though. Even though you guys bottled the title this year.

And while this City team may not be as good as their 100 point or 98 point seasons, they still went on their longest ever unbeaten run in the league, so I wouldn't characterize them as having fallen off.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Honestly this comes across as you getting mad anyone would dare to defend themselves because you thought what you were saying was such a good response. I’m not going to be your doormat.

We bottled the league but thankfully we have all of these extremely recent memories that you guys do not have. You’re gonna have to get over it because that’s just reality. You can’t undo it.
Me: "its funny how..." "I think it's laughable that..."
You: "why are you so mad"

I don't know how much more clearly that I can say that I don't care about people taking shots at Arsenal. All that I've done is take some shots back at other fans for (1) slobbering on the same city team that they complain are cheaters and (2) telling me I don't have thick skin while certain ones continue to make up excuses for their own team this year.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I literally said they weren't the same and that one situation was worse than the other in the post you just quoted.

So why bring it up at all? Why bring up Arsenal and Colorado Springs?

The thing that annoys me here is that I know for a fact that you're an intelligent fan (same with Wee) and that you can see the difference in gravity here so I just don't get beefing City here if you'd celebrate Chelsea in the same position. When Liverpool ends up buying another club, they'll join that list too (and whoever else does it).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So why bring it up at all? Why bring up Arsenal and Colorado Springs?

The thing that annoys me here is that I know for a fact that you're an intelligent fan (same with Wee) and that you can see the difference in gravity here so I just don't get beefing City here if you'd celebrate Chelsea in the same position. When Liverpool ends up buying another club, they'll join that list too (and whoever else does it).
If Chelsea got caught cooking their books like City does and were punished for it I wouldn't be any more upset than when they got caught violating transfer rules and had a transfer ban for it. They deserved it.

I don't like that clubs like Everton and Nottingham Forest have faced swift justice for lesser violations than City have been committing for years without penalty.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm honestly not mad by any means. It was super close and by the minimum of margins. Last year hurts more, you simply cannot lead that much and that long and still somehow lose. Injuries was a big part though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Here's the thing, yes Arsenal is owned by a billionaire and all billionaires are shady but at least they follow the rules of FFP, for how dumb they may be. City not only made fake revenue streams to increase their profit margins so they can buy more players, the owner lives and is from a country that has human rights violation. Sorry if you lot can't see the difference between the two.

poetic that this man whose win vs Arsenal basically cost them winning the league.
No, the Newcastle game did when the ball was in bounds. I'm not mad at Aston Villa winning because they beat most of the top teams.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well the last two times we had managers leave without endorsing their replacement it got extremely toxic and nasty so…this is different at least.

It’s probably also a good thing that Slot seems arrogant because the amount of pressure he’s walking into would be unbearable.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Game decider of the season for Arsenal. Parking the bus at the Etihad. That day I knew they lost the title as Man City would not drop a point, been there and done that. Never hope for City to drop points. That is the hope that kill you.

Looking back on this, I think you're right. Obviously this is easy to say in hindsight but not going balls to the wall there and hoping the field takes care of it for you cost them.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
If Chelsea got caught cooking their books like City does and were punished for it I wouldn't be any more upset than when they got caught violating transfer rules and had a transfer ban for it. They deserved it.

I don't like that clubs like Everton and Nottingham Forest have faced swift justice for lesser violations than City have been committing for years without penalty.

But even if there is no punishment for it, you don't think that Chelsea buying clubs is cheating? Should Chelsea win titles with players that they loaned out/bought from servant clubs, that's not cheating to you? That's a legitimate way to win?

I think distinctions should generally be made in life but I'll say this, one distinction that shouldn't matter one bit is whether you cook your books or whether you buy other clubs to load up. Both of them are cheating.

This is where bringing up stuff like Strasbourg hasn't been locally owned since the 90s or Arsenal's owner owns an USL club means absolutely nothing to me. To me, those are arguments meant to obfuscate the issue at play here - that Chelsea are giving themselves a massive competitive advantage through shady means. If you're going to rail against one team for doing it, don't cheer for a club that does it. And if you do, that's fine, but then don't criticize.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Apparently Klopp started an Arne Slot chant at Anfield lmao
Klopp knows LFC fans very well. The first rough patch of Slot and he will get buried alive by them. He wants Slot to succeed and be appreciated. It might seem cringe from outsider but it is a nice way of Klopp to show support to his succesor.

Reactions: maclean

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp knows LFC fans very well. The first rough patch of Slot and he will get buried alive by them. He wants Slot to succeed and be appreciated. It might seem cringe from outsider but it is a nice way of Klopp to show support to his succesor.
Anyone that thinks that was cringe needs a hug

Reactions: maclean and luiginb

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Looking back on this, I think you're right. Obviously this is easy to say in hindsight but not going balls to the wall there and hoping the field takes care of it for you cost them.
I know I am right but not just with hindsight, it was even awful that day and I was very adament back then also although Arsenal supporters were 'celebrating' that result.

I remember being hopeful that day to see Arsenal the challenger beat the champion at their own yard. Man City just cameback from an horrible game versus LFC which they should have lost if not for VAR not doing their job properly or even Luis Diaz not missing on a break away chance but anyway the point was Man City showed they were very vulnerable defensively. From Arsenal POV, they were stream rolling in the EPL, winning everything by huge margin with all the positive plays and ambition you want from a top side and then they went to the Etihad with a prime Mourinho tactic with every players parked in the box and playing counter football. Showing no ambition and being hopeful to catch City off guard and snatch a win. And then the ridiculous... they were praised for their approach by the fans and some media and how they got a point and were now being hopeful to beat Man City by not beating them but hope some other EPL team will do that dirty job instead of them.

If not LFC, I wanted Arsenal to win the title but after that disgusting game I wanted Man City to win. I was shocked by the lack of ambition from Arteta and Arsenal which had the best team in the league and could have won the league that day.

Edit: I would also add that even if Arsenal had tied that game by outplaying Man City in an offensive football affair it would have been more honorable, they would have shown the right mentality to challenge them. And If (worst case scenario for them) Arsenal had lost, they would have made it more clear for them to focus more on the upcoming CL games and might have won it too. At least on paper and from what I have seen, Arsenal had very good chance to win against City that day and it would have sent a message to the whole league that they are the best team in the EPL and today they would celebrate that title win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't think it's really possible for Slot to replicate the highest highs. Nobody can top the Dortmund or Barcelona wins, literally nobody will ever top the start of the 2019-20 season. He could win all the trophies but nothing will give people the same emotion as those. So knowing that he can't top that, he gets a judgment free clean slate. And it's not like I spend a lot of time watching Feyenoord so I can't pass judgment anyway.

I really tried to block these thoughts out of my head until today tbh.

I still remember going to preseason in 2016. Fair to say the team was actual shit. I work in sports so I spend a lot of time around coaches and hearing coaches complain at me and about their team but I never heard anyone complain worse about their teams and yell at their teams more than Klopp and Conte did that day. I had no hopes after that.

Now you think of all the trophies won at this club and the managers this club had, so you say someone did the best of them and that really means something.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Sheffield only had two corners today but I loved seeing Dragusin absolutely bodying any opponents who tried to do to Vicario what Ben White did.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad